2011-12 NFL Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well considering its about winning a championship, which is THE barometer for a team's success; then YES, that is the measuring stick. When a QB is new; then sure you can't know; but VY's true stock was revealed fairly early and Fisher was mostly correct. So I think we can somewhat agree as you said, VY is hardly the best option and sure he might deserve another shot, but I wouldn't want him as my starter; especially NOT right out of the gate. He needs to get his personal act together; then he needs guidance from a quality vet for a year or two to learn how to play the game with poise and get to the playoffs consistently and some playoff wins.

I wouldn't pop the champaign corks in Philadelphia or anywere else where a few high profile players have signed. The low NFL hard salary cap will mandate that those teams employ mediocre players at a couple dozen other positions. You can win a basketball championship with a couple of stars and half a dozen journeymen, and you can even win a World Series now and then behind a couple of stud starters, but it takes a good TEAM to win a football championship, and a team with a handful of high priced stars will be forced to employ below average players at too many other positions..

How many playoff trips and/or wins and how many disciplinary actions and/or issues? Regular season wins are near meaningless when compared to these other stats. He is crazy overrated! At best he is maybe a starter for a very bad team.
well believe me i've said that before but i did see a few good things in him aside his issues.when i say good things remember i'm comparing him to what we got here :(
and that deal with orton gone. unbelievable

Well considering its about winning a championship, which is THE barometer for a team's success; then YES, that is the measuring stick. When a QB is new; then sure you can't know; but VY's true stock was revealed fairly early and Fisher was mostly correct. So I think we can somewhat agree as you said, VY is hardly the best option and sure he might deserve another shot, but I wouldn't want him as my starter; especially NOT right out of the gate. He needs to get his personal act together; then he needs guidance from a quality vet for a year or two to learn how to play the game with poise and get to the playoffs consistently and some playoff wins.
i agree. he's very immature. i hope he's grown up a bit or he'll continue to fail. his biggest flaw i saw in Tennessee was his inability to handle the pressure. thats one position where you must handle the pressure which can be enormous, or else you will fail.

If playoff wins are your primary barometer for how good a QB is, your pool to choose from is pretty small.

I'm not trying to say Young is the best option out there, but he has a good winning % and deserves a shot to play for a coach that actually wants him there. Young was drafted against Fisher's will and it showed from day one...
i will say that teams win championships. if it was up to just one position and that were enough then my man Dan Marino would have more rings than fingers. but unfortunately for him and other HOF players that are ringless, its a team sport. but definitely you must have a championship type QB to win a championship unless you're trent dilfer lol. he's a perfect example that you need talent to surround you in order to win championships. I remember montana very well. brady has always reminded me of montana. i also remember how solid the 49ers were in those days at practically ever position. depth is so important. of course introducing the west coast offense back then didn't hurt either hehe.......

Last edited:
Having Marino at quarterback hurt the Dolphins, because even with mediocre teams, he could win enough games by himself to preclude his team from ever drafting high.

Word is, Fat Albert wasn't allowed to practice because he flunked his physical. Who'd'a thunk it?

Word is, Fat Albert wasn't allowed to practice because he flunked his physical. Who'd'a thunk it?

Tweet from Ian Rappaport.

@RapSheet: One interesting Haynesworth note: Was told that he did not attempt the conditioning test yesterday. Just today. He passed

Having Marino at quarterback hurt the Dolphins, because even with mediocre teams, he could win enough games by himself to preclude his team from ever drafting high.
I'm sorry but that's bs.every team gets a first round pick.besides you got teams like the pats who find gold in the later rounds.more accurate statement would be that after marino shula lost his touch for drafting good players especially at positions needed like at rb and defense.during marinos career we usually had the top 5 offense every season while the defense was always one of the worse.there's no excuse why miami didn't do more to build around marino to have a championship team.but that's history.my opinion now is as long as this Ross guy is around we are destined to become the next old detroit lions :(

I feel for my Dolphin friends when I see the Dolphin front office have absolutely no testicular fortitude to take chances when it comes to free agents....none.
spot on buddy! it almost seems to me that after this season ross (if he has any bit of intelligence) will probably get rid of coach and GM. hopefully . he appears more interested in having a bunch of minority owners like marc anthony and gloria estefan than winning games. it became apparent by the way he handled the whole sparano thing. idiot.....

Notable News in the NFL: Weekend Recap (7/30, 7/31)

-Since Wednesday, the Arizona Cardinals have signed 51 players. Wow!

-the Jets and CB Antonio Cromartie reached agreement on a new deal. So, yeah, the Jets lost out on Nnamdi, but they somehow figured out how to keep Cromartie, Holmes and signed Plaxico to replace Braylon.

-As a reward for his offseason assault charge, the Bengals reached agreement with running back Cedric Benson on a one-year deal.

-The Texans now have signed all eight of their draft picks.

-The Buffalo Bills and former Packers LB Nick Barnett reached agreement on a three-year, $12 million deal including $6 million gtd.

-former Ravens TE Todd Heap reached agreement with the Arizona Cardinals on a two-year deal.

-Vikings signed Curtis Ponder

-Willis McGahee passes physical. He's a Bronco. 4 yrs, roughly $9.5 million.

-Saints reached agreement with former Ravens cornerback Fabian Washington on 1-year deal.

-Raiders reached agreement with their safety Michael Huff.

-Colts source say they have signed FA Joseph Addai to return to team

-Former Cowboys RB Marion Barber reaches agreement on a 2-year deal for $5 million with the Chicago Bears.

-Another CB off the market: Former 49ers CB Nate Clements reaches agreement with Bengals.

-A new target for Donovan McNabb: Vikings reached agreement with former Falcons WR Michael Jenkins on a three-year contract.

-Former Bills and Jaguars quarterback Trent Edwards reached agreement with Oakland on a one-year deal to back up Jason Campbell.

-As if they needed the help, Eagles now have two 2s, two 4s, two 5s and two 6s in 2012 draft. Talk about a well-run organization.

-In past 48 hours, Eagles have added Cullen Jenkins, Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and extra second- and fifth-round picks.

-Eagles trade DT Brodrick Bunkley to Cleveland for 5th round pick in 2012.

-Osi Umenyiora is on his way into Giants camp, having decided to report without a new contract.

-Colts and Peyton Manning have reached agreement on five-year, $90 million deal average that equals Tom Brady's.

-Anyone need a running back? RB market is flooded: R. Brown, R. Williams, Cadillac, C. Benson, A. Bradshaw, T. Barber, C. Portis still available....

-Packers have all 10 draft picks signed.

-Saints ink Mark Ingram

-Vince Young is wearing No. 9 in Philadelphia, the same number that belonged to his mentor, Steve McNair.

-Rams reached agreement with former Jaguars wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker on a one-year deal.

-Cam Newton's contract is worth $56 million less in overall money and $28 million less in guaranteed money than Sam Bradford's deal.

-Bengals reached agreement with 2nd-round pick Andy Dalton on a four-year, $5.2 million deal. What a bargain if he starts at QB.

-Patriots released OLB Tully Banta-Cain, CB Tony Carter, TE Alge Crumpler, T Nick Kaczur, DL Marcus Stroud, DL Ty Warren, LB Ryan Coulson

Browns WR's, Mohamed Massaquoi (foot) and Josh Cribbs (leg strain) are both out with injuries already. This leaves Brian Robiskie and a rookie from UNC who sat out all of last year in Greg Little as their only wide receivers! I knew they were playing with fire by NOT adding a veteran to the WR depth!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo Dundee, Trainer of Ali and Leonard, Dies at 90

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)