2015 NCAA football discussion thread

On the flip side, lets take a look at the SEC, where their second beast team is a not so reliable Ole Piss (who Bama lost to BTW), and their other division champ is a garbage UF team. Lot of parody in college football, the difference is the SEC has a lot of Network drivel to brainwash people (See ESPN money machine). And some of their fans are about as ignorant.

Is the SEC top to bottom better than the ACC? Yes. Did the ACC go 3-1 against the SEC on rivarly weekend 2015? Yes. Did the ACC go 4-0 on rivalry weekend against the SEC last year? Yes. Did the ACC have more wins against P5 teams in 2014? Yes.

Lsu, Bama, Miss St, Ole Miss , Auburn (all ranked) lost their bowl games last year, in fact Bama has not won a bowl game since 2012. Do SEC homers go on ever year about how they are they best? Yes.

Come back when you have something better, because it's easy to say a team didn't deserve to be there after the game is played. FSU's main reason for losing to Oregon was not lack of talent, but FIVE turnovers.

I know I am getting old, but a certain SEC team (Bama) dropped a game they had no business losing over 5 turnovers this year...

And since I like statistics that take into opponent strength over the homer eye test (including my own), lets look at the current data for 2015.

Combined F/+ Rankings
Alabama 1
Clemson 2
Oklahoma 3
Ohio St 4
Mich St 8
Iowa 24

I dont have a problem with that at all, and would love if the playoff started with that top 4 tomorrow.

S&P Offensive Ratings (adjusted for opponent strength)
Oklahoma 3rd
Clemson 11th
Oh St 13th
UNC 19th
Mich St 26th
Bama 28th
Iowa 47th

S&P Def Rankings (also adjust for Opponent)
Bama 1st
Clemson 6th
Oh St 8th
Ok 13th
Mich St 18th
Iowa 27th

I have followed these numbers a couple of years now, and you always note a team that is overanked (Ill admit FSU was last year when you paid attention to these numbers). Iowa is that team this year, and their result is usually a loss at some point.

Just over 500 is not exactly a stellar endorsement of the SEC ;)

Exactly. College Football has a lot of parody now, coaches salaries are going up across the board and so is the money being spent. If I have to pick a conference with the best 3 teams right now, Id bet Mich St, Mich and the Buckeyes could hang with the top 3 in most conferences, and I personally can't stand the B10!

I never understood rooting for a conference anyways, but I do gravitate toward SEC and ACC because I can relate to the rivalries and I like several teams in both. Outside of that I will pull for Michigan and Oklahoma.

Notice how those that pointed out the number of SEC teams in the top 10 at this point last year are silent about the number of Bug Ten teams this year? ;)

edit: was going to fix the typo in the Big Ten name, but decided I liked it better this way :D

Just over 500 is not exactly a stellar endorsement of the SEC ;)
Consider the games though, the only win over the SEC in those matchups that is really noteworthy is FSU over Florida, and even a FSU fan says Florida is "garbage", so how much can you take from that one.

The other two wins were against the number 5 in their division and last placed teams in Kentucky and South Carolina. And they were beat by third place in division Louisville, and #1 ranked Clemson in a close one.

On the flip side, that same last place USC beat division champ UNC. And last place in the west Auburn beat third place in the Atlantic Louisville. The other two wins were against bottom dwellers Syracuse and Ga Tech.

Consider the games though, the only win for the SEC in those matchups that is really noteworthy is FSU over Florida, and even a FSU fan says Florida is "garbage", so how much can you take from that one...
Again, not a stellar endorsement for those talking of SEC glory.

Again, not a stellar endorsement for those talking of SEC glory.
I just find it funny that not just here, but on most sports message boards I frequent, that ACC fans are crowing about rivalry week and how they dominated (they should have), but forget that they still have a losing record in the yearly matchups, and the absolute worst team in the SEC handed the supposed 2nd best team in the ACC their only loss of the season.

I just find it funny that not just here, but on most sports message boards I frequent, that ACC fans are crowing about rivalry week and how they dominated (they should have), but forget that they still have a losing record in the yearly matchups, and the absolute worst team in the SEC handed the supposed 2nd best team in the ACC their only loss of the season.
I don't. I call the ACC pathetic when it deserves it (which is more years than not), and have talked up the SEC is past years when it was much stronger top to middle (it's always have it's bottom dwellers), but unfortunately the SEC has been on a decline that past couple year, and this year is far weaker than years past.

Also, that loss you mentioned was very early in the season, something you seem forgiving of when Alabama lost to the team that later lost to Memphis. ;)

I don't. I call the ACC pathetic when it deserves it (which is more years than not), and have talked up the SEC is past years when it was much stronger top to middle (it's always have it's bottom dwellers), but unfortunately the SEC has been on a decline that past couple year, and this year is far weaker than years past.
Oh I do not necessarily disagree. The SEC is certainly not as strong as it has been in years past, but they are still among the top conferences in the nation, and perhaps still the top.

Check out this composite of various computer rankings:

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

In F/+ Combined Top 25:

SEC 7
Big 10 4
ACC 3
Big 12 3
Pac 12 2

So obviously the SEC is better overall, and I dont disagree. Granted, Id rather count these in January after the final numbers because you will have some adjustments, but these are end of reg season.

Out of curiosity, here is end of bowl season last year:

SEC 9
Pac 12 4
ACC 4
Big 10 3
Big 12 3

Pac 12 obviously fell off and may not even have a team in the playoff this year. I would imagine if Clemson loses looking at last nights rankings, you would have:

Bama
Oklahoma
Mich St/Iowa
Oh St/Stanford

11-2 Stanford conf Champ may have beef with Oh St 11-1 no conf champ. Doubt they put UNC over any of them, but who the hell really knows what they will do.

More coaching info from football scoop

Scott Frost from the Ducks to UCF, 1.7 mil 5 years. Took less salary to have more in assistants pool (Jimbo and other coaches do this and its smart) at 2.3 million

Kirby Smart is wanting D backs coach from Kentucky

USCe is talking to the Sooners def coord for head coach

Just posed by Bill Connelly (S&P statistics that go into F/+)

As I stated, SEC E and ACC Coast need to get their act together...

S&P+ averages by division
SEC-W +14.4
ACC-A +9.5
B1G-E +8.9
B1G-W +6.3
P12-N +5.8
P12-S +4.8
ACC-C +4.4
SEC-E +2.8
AAC-W -0.7

Yeah I really do not see the fit for Miami at all. The program or the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a claim they are close to announcing, so maybe we will see soon. Miami generally has not wanted to spend as much on football lately so I do not know how that may limit them.

I still also do not get why Mullen wants out of Miss St so bad.

Combined F/+ Rankings
Alabama 1
Clemson 2
Oklahoma 3
Ohio St 4
Mich St 8
Iowa 24

I dont have a problem with that at all, and would love if the playoff started with that top 4 tomorrow.

Obviously this is isn't going to happen so it doesn't really matter but I still have to question that statement. How would you justify Ohio State getting in over Michigan State? They have the same record, Michigan State has the head-to-head win, and will be playing for the Big 10 championship game while Ohio State will not.

Also, Michigan State's out of conference win against 9-3 Oregon is far better than Ohio State's best out of conference win against 6-6 Virginia Tech. I would be highly skeptical of any ranking system that puts Ohio State ahead of Michigan State this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts