$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
f13dfx said:
At any point in time (from very first setup and in the future), will I need a LANLINE for the HR10-250? The reason being is that I recently switched to VOIP.

TIA

1. not if you hack it.

2. It will work with an external modem and serial cable for Vonage and Callvantage. Weakness sells the combo for it. http://www.weakness.com/
I have one of those I dont use. And with some VOIP services it will work without the modem. I doubt it will work for Packet8 though, their compression is too high.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
1. not if you hack it.

2. It will work with an external modem and serial cable for Vonage and Callvantage. Weakness sells the combo for it.

I failed to mention that I was using SkypeOut. Would solution#2 still work?

Never heard of it. whats the compression bitrate?

Nevermind I looked up SkypeOut. The other party has to be running the same program on the other end. Certainly it will not work calling D*.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Never heard of it. whats the compression bitrate?

Nevermind I looked up SkypeOut. The other party has to be running the same program on the other end. Certainly it will not work calling D*.
Well, you are partly correct. But, SkypeOut can call Toll Free numbers just like a normal phonecall. That is how I communicate with DTV :)

I thought the HR10-250 and all DirecTivos just needed a land based phone line for activation. After that, they work fine without. I believe some people have activated theirs using someone else's dish and then brought it home to their house. I haven't had a phone line connected to either of mine for quite some time. For some reason they interfere with my DSL, even with the DSL filters in line. You just get a warning screen when you hit the Menu or List button that just requires you to hit OK.

-JustBob

Has anyone received this new HD dvr yet? how was it? is it the same as the old hd tivo? I'm getting conflicting reports.

baurecomm said:
Has anyone received this new HD dvr yet? how was it? is it the same as the old hd tivo? I'm getting conflicting reports.

no one has reported here getting the new hd tivo h20-250 but we are all hoping

The HR20-250 D* version HD DVR will not be available until late summer/fall. More than likely, that translates into late fall or technically D*'s fiscal fall. That might mean in time for Xmas! :)

I use VOIP CallVantage for all 4 of my DVR's, when I first got the VOIP there was all kinds of problems but now they dial no problem!!! Even did the initial on 2 of them!!

Is this deal still being offered?

Does anybody know if this deal is still being offered. I called the customer retention number today (05/14/2006) and the CSR said she didn't know what I was talking about. Actually she said, "That price is ridiculous!".

mr_rua said:
Does anybody know if this deal is still being offered. I called the customer retention number today (05/14/2006) and the CSR said she didn't know what I was talking about. Actually she said, "That price is ridiculous!".

That deal (& this thread) was from last August. I think it only lasted a month. I haven't heard of anything close since then. It still seems odd that they were practically giving them away for a while. Maybe they just had too many of them sitting around in a warehouse.

Keep watching the forums, these things pop up once in a while.

-JustBob

Can someone pls tell me - in simple terms since i am no technofile - whether i should get the HD DVR today or wait until the new model comes out in the future - ie 3-8mos. I don;t have a DVR now and really want one but if I need to scrap it in a few months, then I will wait. Also what is the best current pricing - thanks all, I really appreciate you helping me out on this!

1rick said:
Can someone pls tell me - in simple terms since i am no technofile - whether i should get the HD DVR today or wait until the new model comes out in the future - ie 3-8mos. I don;t have a DVR now and really want one but if I need to scrap it in a few months, then I will wait. Also what is the best current pricing - thanks all, I really appreciate you helping me out on this!

The key comes down to your ability to get HD signals over the air via an antenna. If you are close the towers, have a good antenna and your market is supportive of HD broadcasting, then the HD Tivo is a great unit. I plan on keeping mine well beyond the next year or 2 and I've had it since inception.

OK thanks. I do have OTA HD and it is perfect. So HD Tivo will work? Is this a HD DVR I get from D* or do they have something else. And, if u don;t mind, where would i get the best price?

thanks - i really appreciate the help!

Try calling Directv and ask to speak to the retention department. Describe how you are looking to go to cable and wondered what kind of deal they have with an HD Tivo. And have them throw in some HD programming for free too. I dont have direct phone number but I know you can search this forum or tivocommunity.com if that does not work. Good luck.

pherrholz said:
Directv retention number is 1-800-824-9081

Thanks. I will give it a try.

There is somebody on ebay selling an ebook that has instructions how to get the HR10-250 for $199 and I imagine it is just calling the retention number. This guy has sold hundreds of these ebooks and I imagine he is making a killing.

James

here is what i got ...

so get the HD DVR for $499, free TIVO - since i already have all the channels, a new receiver for my other TV, $150 reduction in my bill ($25 per month for 6 months). Of course i need to continue to be a DirecTV subscriber for 2 years. There is no guarantee that they will swap the TIVO for new model when it comes out but they have done this in the past - we'll see. And if new HD channels are added they may be in the MPEG 4 format which will not allow access (this is over and above locals which I get from OTA) thanks all for your help

rick

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts