40" C/Ku - Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just got a e-mail from a pal/member saying we should try removing the scalar ring when using an off-set dish as he said its a secondary reflector and me be doing more harm than good! Any thoughts?

I will but the ring on my setup is holding the LNBF in place...... food for thought!

My brain hurts.

PSB said:
Had a look at the link, looks very similar. But we will have to wait until MrTim tells us what specific type of dish it is intended for, but as I have seen tonight it certainly works on an off-set dish. Cascade will tell you the same. The picture on the box shows a prime focus dish.

Still have a lot of tweaking to do :yes

It's actually made for prime focal BUT I've got emails from lots of guys using them on offset.... some tell me they don't use the scalar ring. You might try it. We sell these into S. America, Spain, Portugal, etc. Those guys spend the extra money to get this LNBF because they tell me it out performs anything they can find. See http://www.dmsiusa.com/spain.htm
He is using a older model before the engineer improved it!

Thanks for the clarification Tim! This is the most fun I have had for a long time! Its like starting all over again finding channels that I have never seen before.

Curse me and my lack of Blind Scan

A few days ago, I found a c-band lnb at the thrift shop for a whole whopping $1! I've been completely busy the past few days, and just now got a chance to toss it on the old DirecPC dish mounted on my shed and have a go at it.

The lnb is one of the kinds that rotors from H to V, so I'm stuck at V for now. I could rig up some wiring to give me control inside, but I don't care all that much; I'm buying a new C-band lnb from Pete when I make my 120cm dish purchase. Anyhow, with my SF-95 meter being broken, I tossed it together in an imitation of my Winegard pointed at G10R. I got great signal... but manually selecting different transponders didn't get me any Quality. I swung the dish east; more great signal (yes, I can make it lose signal too, so know it's not stuck that way ;) ) but no quality. So now I sit on various birds and know I'm pointed right... but having no clue what I'm pointed at, and without blind scan.. no picture yet.

I'll keep trying (of course) and post any results I get. If I get really desperate, I guess I could lash it onto my Winegard 76cm, but I've heard better results off of the 3.x' dishes.

I noticed I had to blind scan twice before I would get any channels? Worth a try!

If you mean scanning preset frequencies/polarization/symbol rate that are sat-specific... sure.

Tossed the c-band lnb on the winegard and for laughs, tossed a $5 Geneal Instruments Super350i VideoCypherRS reciever on it I picked up on a whim. No remote, but the on-screen channel readout says "T5 01".. ok, pointed it at T5 and got me a fuzzy picture of some basketball! lol... no clue what TP/freq etc I'm on. I'll toss it back on the Twinhan and poke around...

Edit: Hey, now I'm watching... some bearded guy talking about the rocky landscape around him! Must be some analougue, think I'm still on T5. Really weird to be able to tune the picture in by moving the dish... no quality or signal levels, just watching how fuzzy or clear the picture is ;) Well, chalk this up as a success for picking up a few analogue signals off T5!

Edit2: Manually switched the LNB from V to H, now I'm watching some Charlie Chaplin... and have a Galaxy 4R Buena Vista Television test card. I guess mounting the c-band lnb realy changed some things! Still haven't pulled anything but analogue feeds thus far... will keeping working ;)

Hey Pete,

Just curious as to the brand of dish that's on the roof next to the P* in the first picture (the one with what looks like an Invacom LNB on it). I ask because it looks just like one of mine...of course I've been cursing mine 'cause it's warped :) Mines an Azure Shine.

PD

MrTim said:
It's actually made for prime focal BUT I've got emails from lots of guys using them on offset.... some tell me they don't use the scalar ring. You might try it. We sell these into S. America, Spain, Portugal, etc. Those guys spend the extra money to get this LNBF because they tell me it out performs anything they can find. See http://www.dmsiusa.com/spain.htm
He is using a older model before the engineer improved it!

I'm thinking that for offset dishes, no scaler rings might be the way to go, as suggested. But how to remove it? Pete, are yours removable on the DMS ASC421 C-LNBF's? On the one old C-band lnb I have here, short of doing some irreversable damage with some power tools I don't see how the scaler rings could come off...

Edit: I think I found the answer to my own question ;) Found a picture of the ASC421, and the scaler ring sure looks removable:

Attachments

• ASC421.jpg
    ASC421.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 211
Yes the ring is removable, and the 36" dish I have I got from AdventistSat.com/SatelliteAV I have had no trouble with it, the only markings on it are SatAV.

PSB said:
On Anik F1 107w now : ) Its very overcast.

APTN YellowKnife Breaking up.

Newsworld Perfect picture

The Weather Network Perfect picture

CTV RED/GREEN/BLUE Black screen

All signals at 36-38% Quality Satwork 3618

I just removed the scalar ring, getiing 47% quality now on APTN Yellowknife solid picture/test card, and much as before on the rest with slight break up.....

Sweet! Looks like my planned setup will work pretty well:

Found a place that sells 120cm dishes for $264.83 SHIPPED (Azure Shine F Ku-Band/C-Band Dish - 1.2 meter (Baja Beach) offset). The specs are pretty near identacle to the Fortec, except for better Aperture Efficiency. I already ordered the DMS ASC421 C-LNBF from Pete. I'm planning on trying the lnb without the scaler rings in a dual-lnb clamp so I'll have Ku and C-band on the same dish :D Now if only I had a better Ku lnb to go on this new setup... *kicks the old .6dB*

Any suggestions on a clamp source? Leaning towards ebay atm (hose clamp won't work in this situation).

40" with ASC 421 C-Band LNBF without scalar ring........

Attachments

• x.BMP
    537.7 KB · Views: 485
CharredPC said:
Sweet! Looks like my planned setup will work pretty well:

Found a place that sells 120cm dishes for $264.83 SHIPPED (Azure Shine F Ku-Band/C-Band Dish - 1.2 meter (Baja Beach) offset).

Care to share that info?

Tried a 21x28 oval dish and a Chaparral C/Ku LNBF this afternoon.

Using the C100 analog receiver, I was able to see numerous channels on birds from AMC3 to Galaxy 12. I swung back to AMC3, tweaked it for vertical (could see Doc on TP20 but VERY snowy), did a blind scan with the Pansat 2500 and came up high and dry. It started looking stormy so I will try again tomorrow. Also, a better C-Band LNB should be here as well.

On Galaxy 4, I had color and audio on "World Harvest TV", analog of course.....Also noticed some weird goings on on TP1 of IA-5. It was scrambled, but intelligible!

See photoz below...

On a final note, an analog receiver is invaluable for this experiment.

Attachments

• DSC01670.JPG
    DSC01670.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC01674.JPG
    DSC01674.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 345
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts