4K UHD PPV coming Nov 14th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well this kinda stinks. I have a brand new Sony XBR-70X850B.
Got a great deal from HHgreg(who knew)
Fantastic picture-upscale is just mind boggling.
But direct made it impossible at this time to use their
4k service.
Im wondering why all the new 4k dont have this RVU technology.
I do have this Sony media player. Get this, 4k movies run 37.77. Newer stuff
of course.

When I spoke to direct they said return the tv?
Not a chance..lol

Well that is good news! It will be good to get reports from the field that it works and what the quality is!
No guarantee I get to see any programming.. vod takes up to 24hrs to populate and estimated download time for a 4k movie is twice the length of the movie over an approved Internet connection. . But yea I'll do what I can and try to get pictures

Argue TV is basically a client so you'll need a software download the firmware and Genie system and also the pin number for that but it is possible and it must be a Samsung I believe and 900 series or better what I resent what other models but it's probably a model above that too
IIRC, the Samsung models were 6200 and up.

well this kinda stinks. I have a brand new Sony XBR-70X850B.
Got a great deal from HHgreg(who knew)
Fantastic picture-upscale is just mind boggling.
But direct made it impossible at this time to use their
4k service.
Im wondering why all the new 4k dont have this RVU technology.
I do have this Sony media player. Get this, 4k movies run 37.77. Newer stuff
of course.

When I spoke to direct they said return the tv?
Not a chance..lol
Nice set.

I would just hold out till a new 4k recvr is available, this way it would not need RVU ...

I don't see the big deal that is RVU ... so you don't need a recvr, big deal, with the size of them now, you barely know they are there.

Jimbo
I have a brand new 4k onkyo receive yet to
Be hooked up.

I'll be running everything through it.
Could this possibly help me with compatibility issue?

Jimbo
I have a brand new 4k onkyo receive yet to
Be hooked up.

I'll be running everything through it.
Could this possibly help me with compatibility issue?
No because no directv receivers output 4k right now. The onkyo may upconvert.. but most tvs can do that also. The only way to get 4k vod through dtv is going with an rvu install with a supported tv.

OK let's talk about this....

All 2014 samsung 4k tvs are certified directv ready at this time... and i doubt that they would make one that isnt. So it's all not two.

Professionally installed as an rvu client. I agree with you here.. but there are no other options at this time. And there won't be until we release a new ird with hdmi 2.0.

Directv subscription with genie...

If you don't have a directv subscription... well stop complaining about how directv handles 4k. As far as the genie goes... since 4k is vod it requires a dvr.. and for new customers the only thing holding them back from a genie vs a combo is the credit check and you could just pay the deposit.. after all you do have the money to purchase a brand new 4k tv. What's another 100 bucks for the genie. If your an existing customer the same argument applies... if you can afford the tv you can afford whatever dtv charges you for the upgrade.. still not with me. That's fine we can argue the points of hd dvr vs genie in another thread.

And I'm not gonna touch the 10ft thing with a 39 and a half foot pole... tis the season..

Harshness.
I believe kitty just took your Directv decoder ring away from you:)

Since the new ESPN studio is 4k compatible, I'm really hoping for ESPN UHD channel within the next 3-5 years.
I saw a World Cup game on YouTube in 4k and it is unbelievable.....and I can't stand soccer. lol
Sports is where 4k will truly shine imo.

Since the new ESPN studio is 4k compatible, I'm really hoping for ESPN UHD channel within the next 3-5 years.
I saw a World Cup game on YouTube in 4k and it is unbelievable.....and I can't stand soccer. lol
Sports is where 4k will truly shine imo.

ESPN went 1080p compatible a few years ago and what did that do? Have you seen a ESPN broadcast in 1080p?

ESPN went 1080p compatible a few years ago and what did that do? Have you seen a ESPN broadcast in 1080p?

There is no satellite transmission scheme or receivers / decoders for 1080p. There are however ones for 4K. In fact SatelliteGuys members have been watching a number of 4K satellite transmissions over the past few months. :)

Having been at ESPN and talking with ESPN employees, it would not surprise me to see see a Samsung Sponsored ESPN 4K sometime in 2015.

The reason its Samsung only is because Samsung is footing the bill for it currently.

There is no satellite transmission scheme or receivers / decoders for 1080p. There are however ones for 4K. In fact SatelliteGuys members have been watching a number of 4K satellite transmissions over the past few months. :)

Having been at ESPN and talking with ESPN employees, it would not surprise me to see see a Samsung Sponsored ESPN 4K sometime in 2015.

The reason its Samsung only is because Samsung is footing the bill for it currently.

Yeah? What is being transmitted in 4K for the past few months, and where can it be found? Also what receivers do HEVC and DVB-S2X ?

All 2014 samsung 4k tvs are certified directv ready at this time... and i doubt that they would make one that isnt. So it's all not two.
There are only three 2014 UHD models (HU8550, HU8700 and HU9000) but the announcements don't mention the HU8700 specifically. The specifications for each mentions only DIRECTV Ready, not DIRECTV 4K Ready. DIRECTV's page says that they're all compatible and links you to the Samsung 2013 RVU page. Samsung links you to DIRECTV's page. That doesn't seem to be particularly conclusive.

Again, the operator's manuals make no reference to DIRECTV or RVU. Back in the day they used to at least mention DIRECTV in the remote control configuration tables.

Filling in voids with speculation or hopes isn't delivering the goods.

Of course two of the three Samsung models have curved screens and those haven't been doing all that well among the pundits for the viewing angle issues they create. One reviewer remarked that even his children noted the issue.

There are only three 2014 UHD models (HU8550, HU8700 and HU9000) but the announcements don't mention the HU8700 specifically. The specifications for each mentions only DIRECTV Ready, not DIRECTV 4K Ready. DIRECTV's page says that they're all compatible and links you to the Samsung 2013 RVU page. Samsung links you to DIRECTV's page. That doesn't seem to be particularly conclusive.

Again, the operator's manuals make no reference to DIRECTV or RVU. Back in the day they used to at least mention DIRECTV in the remote control configuration tables.

Filling in voids with speculation or hopes isn't delivering the goods.

Of course two of the three Samsung models have curved screens and those haven't been doing all that well among the pundits for the viewing angle issues they create. One reviewer remarked that even his children noted the issue.
Well lucky for you the upgrade I did today was on a 8700.. so I'll confirm personally it works... and i reiterate my previous statement of all 2014 samsung 4k tvs are compatible with directvs 4k feed.

On to my shotty review since I needed to be discrete with pictures.

The first picture is of the line item in our system.

Next is a picture showing the 4k vod rate code. Accounts need to be authorized for 4k.

Next picture shows that the access is indeed free. However access to dod is free as well, none of the actual 4k movies loaded while I was still there I tried to load forest Gump and it showed a dollar sign with no price. Although the menus were still loading.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416434704941.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1416434704941.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 167
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416434787361.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1416434787361.png
    73 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416435221136.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1416435221136.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: dfergie
4k menu itself pictured next

20141119_131024.jpg

20141119_131038.jpg

After downloading the two welcome videos they appear in the Playlist with 4k emblems.

20141119_155102.jpg

They welcome video took about 10 minutes to download and started first. It's just over 2 min long.

The other demo video is 48min long and is a short movie I only watched about 3min of it though. It's about nascar.

The cm had comcast I'm not sure what speed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)