522 hard drive

satvad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I just had my 522 installed and it is working great. I am already in love with it. Is there anyway we can upgrade the hard drive our selves, just like in computers. I was hoping to replace with a bigger hard drive, say around 250 Gigs. I am not sure about how the internals are in 522.

Not so fast SimpleSimon ;),
I saw somewhere (dishmod ?) the latest version L207 support 250 GB disks.
Perhaps stonecold could open new thread for DVR522 tricks ?

So, you're talking about an absolute first in the history of E*.

Adding support for hardware not issued by E*.

I find that extremely unlikely.

P.S. Other than those saying there aren't any, I find no mention of any 522 mods in the over 6500 dishmod/dishrip messages I have on file.

Not to mention that if it was a new install, it is likely that it is on LEASE and opening the case makes you the proud new owner of the unit at MSRP. ($399.00)

SimpleSimon said:
So, you're talking about an absolute first in the history of E*.

Adding support for hardware not issued by E*.

I find that extremely unlikely.

P.S. Other than those saying there aren't any, I find no mention of any 522 mods in the over 6500 dishmod/dishrip messages I have on file.
Well, I used search by keyword "samsung" and found:
Code:
Message#4391
Maxtor 4R120L0
Maxtor 4R160L0
ST3120025ACE
ST3160022ACE
SAMSUNG SV1203N
SAMSUNG SV1604E
ST3160023AS
Maxtor TBD model
Maxtor 7Y250M0
I see here 120 GB, 160 GB and 250 GB models. What is more interesting that "TBD" model. Perhaps new 400 GB one ?

My official answer is "No, that's dumb to modify a leased reciever. "

That aside.... Your average Joe Installer won't know the difference, if you don't tell them. By the time it gets remanufactured, it's so far away from the payment processors I doubt anything will come of it.

I say mess around with it, if you break it, put the original one back and call Dish saying their reciever suddenly "stopped working". Get a new one sent to you and don't do it again.

No, it is not a leased receiver. I own this one as I bought it from ebay. It is brand new one. Any how I will not open unless I see some specifics of how the hard drive is installed inside, and whether it is upgradable or not. May be I will leave it on as it is until it gives me any trouble. Since I bought it from ebay, I am assuming it may not carry the warranty from dish network, even though it is new one. Thanks for every one for their input.

satvad said:
Since I bought it from ebay, I am assuming it may not carry the warranty from dish network, even though it is new one. Thanks for every one for their input.
I do believe that the warranty (1 year) will start the "first" time it is activated no matter were it was bought. Dish warranty mine and I got it from ebay.

TuxCoder said:
But I thought the drive in them is already 250GB for "100" hours rough estimate. :confused:
No - try half that for the 510 and of course less for the 50x boxes.

P.Smith: Clue up son - you're confusing the 50x/510 boxes with the 522. They are NOT the same thing AT ALL. The DishMod guys have done a lot with the older boxes, but, I say AGAIN, no one has messed with the 522. And that list you compiled is probably NOT the E* supported drives, but the modified list that the DishMod guys "support".

Well father ;), I'm flattered - sorry, but I did just c/p - I'll monitoring that thread, we will see what the "geeks" could do for suffering owners of DVR522 :D.

SimpleSimon said:
No - try half that for the 510 and of course less for the 50x boxes.
So that gives me an idea of what's in those specific receivers, but still doesn't answer my main question regarding spedifically the 522. Does it not have a 250 GB drive?

my guess would be that since the 510 has 100 hours with a 120 gig drive that the 522 would be about the same and also have a 120 gig drive.

TuxCoder said:
So that gives me an idea of what's in those specific receivers, but still doesn't answer my main question regarding spedifically the 522. Does it not have a 250 GB drive?

Confirmed. 120GB drive.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml

FEATURES:

Dual satellite tuners that provide several multi-room viewing options
Picture-In-Picture (PIP)†
Includes DISH Network DVR Service that allows you to pause live TV, play, stop, fast forward, fast reverse, skip forward... more >
120 gigabyte hard drive
Up to 100 hours* of 100% digital video recording
Records Dolby® Digital™ when available.
Up to 9-day extended Electronic Programming Guide

Smith said:
Well, I used search by keyword "samsung" and found:
Code:
Message#4391
Maxtor 4R120L0
Maxtor 4R160L0
ST3120025ACE
ST3160022ACE
SAMSUNG SV1203N
SAMSUNG SV1604E
ST3160023AS
Maxtor TBD model
Maxtor 7Y250M0
I see here 120 GB, 160 GB and 250 GB models. What is more interesting that "TBD" model. Perhaps new 400 GB one ?

Yeah, I had seen that list as well. I have no evidence whatsoever to support this, so don't value my opinion at anything more than what you paid for it -- but I would guess that support for larger, faster drives is being added to the firmware to facilitate RMA of the customer base to faster hardware over time. Those who are having the most problems end up being swapped out to an upgraded box with a faster hard drive. At least I hope that's what they have in mind. Of course it could be that this guy at the dishmod group is full of crap since there's no reference as to where his info actually came from. So take your pick. :)

It just seems to me that besides a few quirks in the software, and a few things we wish worked differently, the 522's MAIN problem is dropouts and pixelization. Which I think is caused by the simple fact that some of the hard drives just aren't quite fast enough for up to two each of simultaneous recording and playback streams. That's basically four huge files it has to thrash between in a worst-case scenario--unless it's an extremely fast drive, or has a huge amount of caching memory, something is going to suffer. It would probably be easier for E* to try to fix the existing boxes with faster disk I/O than try to swap out mainboards which is basically designing a new box from scratch.

In any case, I would be curious if stonecold's procedure for the 721 would work for the 522 (basically ghosting the existing drive to a new, faster/bigger one). Anybody who tries this be sure and let us know if the performance is better.

i was able to ghost my original 522 hd to a dvd disk then wrote that image to a 120gb replacement drive i found, so now i have a virgin factory hd from dish, the replacement seems to work fine, i swapped 120gb for 120gb though i dont think you can add a larger drive but i have no basis for the previous statment

522 hard drive ghost

How did you do ghost the 522 hard drive. You mean you opened the box and was able to take out the hard drive and put it in a computer system where you can ghost to other drive? If so that means it is just like a computer hard drive with same type of connections?

The last time I checked dishmod/dishrip, their FAQs clearly said that they won't touch the 522 because its HDD is encrypted, thus modding its firmware raises DMCA issues. The 50x/510 models' HDDs aren't encrypted, so they can be modded to support much bigger drives, among other things.

Of course, it's still possible E* may be prepping a new version of the 522 with a 250GB HDD. The sole difference between the various 50x/510 models is the size of the HDD (and the DVR fee on the 510); they all use the same firmware. Or perhaps E* is desperate enough to hire dishmod/dishrip people to debug the 522?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)