622 +OTA question

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Ok this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but I have to ask....

If I get a 622, and hook my antenna up to it (currently the antenna just goes to the TV as no OTA HD tuner in my 625).... can you then treat the OTA stations just as though they were satellite stations? In other words... you can pause, skip, record using the DVR and all that stuff?

I ask because my wife REALLY likes using the guide on satellite. The only HD I get is OTA and I'm the only one that ever watches it because it involves switching inputs on the TV and I simply live with the fact that if the phone rings you either A.) don't answer it, or B.) miss some of what you're watching.

AND... is the ATSC tuner in the 622 decent? My TV has a nice tuner in it.

Yes, the 622's OTA will make your locals act as a "satellite" channel. All of the DVR features will be available on the OTA channels. As far as the tuner is concerned, I see no difference between the 622 and my TV's internal tuner (Toshiba)

Yes, what you posted will work except that is you do not subscribe to you local channel package, you will have the channels show in the guide but not have info on the guide, only "Digital Service". You can set the ota's to record by setting up manual timers.

Thanks, everyone. I was pretty sure that's how it would work. I'd be getting the DVR Advantage pack (upgraded to AT250) which has locals built in so my programming wouldn't change from what I currently have (AT250 with locals).

Does that "manual timers" thing only apply if you DON'T subscribe to locals?

To ask that another way... as long as I am subscribed to locals, can you record an OTA program by just selecting it on the guide just like you do for a satellite program?

Thanks, everyone. I was pretty sure that's how it would work. I'd be getting the DVR Advantage pack (upgraded to AT250) which has locals built in so my programming wouldn't change from what I currently have (AT250 with locals).

Does that "manual timers" thing only apply if you DON'T subscribe to locals?

To ask that another way... as long as I am subscribed to locals, can you record an OTA program by just selecting it on the guide just like you do for a satellite program?

Yes, if you sub to locals you can click an pick what you record. Are you going to sub to the HD package?

Yes, if you sub to locals you can click an pick what you record. Are you going to sub to the HD package?

Yes actually, that's why all the planning. (I plan stuff to death before I do it).

I currently have AT250, locals, and 2 premiums. I get a DVR fee and a lease fee on each bill as well. (I have a leased 625 and a 508PVR that I own). I am upgrading only the 625 as the 508 is on a bedroom TV and while HD would be nice there, it's not worth the cost of having to buy another 622... we use the DVR features of the 508 in the bedroom.

Anyways...
If I switch to DVR Advantage, upgrade to AT250, get my 2 premiums (for $20 instead of the $22 I now pay) and add HD, my "normal" bill (after 10 months) will only be $9 higher than what I now pay. For 10 months my bill will actually be about a dollar LESS than what I am now paying because of rebates. My understanding is that the DVR fee is built in to the DVR Advantage pack and that I should not be charged a lease fee on the 622 as the primary receiver.

I just have to show all of this to my wife so she understands it. She's a teacher and traditionally we don't take on any additional financial things in the summer when she isn't getting paid. But if I am correct and we'll actually be paying LESS... even if only a little... then if she refuses it's just because she's a stubborn Irish girl. :) And I'll call her on it. What the heck, after being married 27 years it's not like I'm not used to her occasionally not talking to me for a week.

:)

One thing to remember is that the ViP 622 OTA tuner can only do Digital ATSC OTA signals. Not the analog NTSC channels.

One thing to remember is that the ViP 622 OTA tuner can only do Digital ATSC OTA signals. Not the analog NTSC channels.

yup yup..... my locals via satellite are not in HD, but I get them fine OTA. And I don't care about analog NTSC so this is all fine. I have a CM4228. I get Buffalo, NY area OTA locals great and if I spin it around I'm in a great position to grab hockey night Canada out of Toronto. :)

can you see your locals connecting an antenna on to the 622 on tuner 2 AND tuner 1, or only on tuner 1?

not to nitpick but there isa difference between tuner 1 and 2 and TV 1 and 2. when they get used interchangeably things get confused---trust me I have been confused.

TV2 cannot see live OTA (from the third tuner really) but it can see a recorded program from lOTA.

not to nitpick but there isa difference between tuner 1 and 2 and TV 1 and 2. when they get used interchangeably things get confused---trust me I have been confused.

TV2 cannot see live OTA (from the third tuner really) but it can see a recorded program from lOTA.

thanks man, I thought I did something wrong, but I guess not...OTA picture on tv/tuner 1 is very nice; nicer than the signal I recieve for those same channels via Dish!

Anyone use E* for high speed internet?

Hi..new user here..but I've been reading..and reading..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)