622 upgrade assistance in Albany NY

runningman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Long time lurker but not active posting. I live in Albany ny , and I need SGs expert assistance. Recently my 721 wasn’t able to lock into the Superstations and was taking 10 – 20 seconds to lock into my locals last week , so I called tech support which ran me thought the usual re-boot yadda yadda… I asked the tech about the 622 while waiting for the reboot and she mentioned that rather than paying the $29 for the service call, I could upgrade for $179 less $50 rebate. With the HD and 250 pac it would cost me monthly:

At 250 w locals 57.99
Hd 20.00
Dvr fee 6.00
Extra receive (721) 6.00
Total 89.99 per month
Less $10 promo for 10MO
79.99 First ten months

My issue is that I wrote the ceo@ echostar to check the price I was told. I was told that I could get a replacement dish (1000, not two dishes. I specifically asked about two dishes in my location) which would fix the Superstation problems and two separators for splitting the current 721 so I could leave the 721 and 622 hooked to the same TV to allow me more DVR space. The Dish contractor comes a few days later and tells me as soon as he hits my front deck that I need to put a second dish to get 61.5 (which jives with what I have researched on the boards here but was lead to believe by the Dish Rep that the 1000.2 would work. I then mention to the contractor that I wanted to install 2 separators to split the coax and I get a “deer in headlights” look and he says I need two coaxes for each receiver from each dish to the receiver. He says I need a second dish (on my roof.) and that the work order never mentions that the 721 was not working. The tech then asks me if I have a 44 switch. I am mot going to bash the contractors so I tell him we are done and that there has been a huge miscommunication between Dish and his company. I just want to get the straight scoop.

My questions to the SG members are:

1) How do I know the line of sight I need to hit 61.5? Do I just take a compass reading off my Superdish and subtract approximately 60 degrees? I can enter my 12184 zip to ge the elevation.
2) I thought the 44 switch was for four satellites and four receivers? Do I need one for the 622 and 721.?
3) Can I leave the Superdish up where it is (fix the lnb’s ) and setup the 61.5 dish 150 away from the Superdish? The pole the Superdish is one has no line of sight to 61.5. What type of switch do I need.
4) Do I need dish pro LNB ‘s?

Thanks to all for any words of wisdom.

1) How do I know the line of sight I need to hit 61.5? Do I just take a compass reading off my Superdish and subtract approximately 60 degrees? I can enter my 12184 zip to ge the elevation.
2) I thought the 44 switch was for four satellites and four receivers? Do I need one for the 622 and 721.?
3) Can I leave the Superdish up where it is (fix the lnb’s ) and setup the 61.5 dish 150 away from the Superdish? The pole the Superdish is one has no line of sight to 61.5. What type of switch do I need.

Sorry, I can't answer all your questions, but I am slightly east of you; here if noon is due north, my 61.5 dish pointed at about 27 minutes after the hour while my dish 121 is at about 39 minutes after the hour. Hope that will help you approximate. BTW, one of the LNBs on my 121 dish fried - I am told it is a common problem in this area. I wanted to keep 121 for an international channel so they put up a dish 500 for the 110 satellite and left the others connected as they were.

Long time lurker but not active posting. I live in Albany ny , and I need SGs expert assistance. Recently my 721 wasn’t able to lock into the Superstations and was taking 10 – 20 seconds to lock into my locals last week , so I called tech support which ran me thought the usual re-boot yadda yadda… I asked the tech about the 622 while waiting for the reboot and she mentioned that rather than paying the $29 for the service call, I could upgrade for $179 less $50 rebate. With the HD and 250 pac it would cost me monthly:

At 250 w locals 57.99
Hd 20.00
Dvr fee 6.00
Extra receive (721) 6.00
Total 89.99 per month
Less $10 promo for 10MO
79.99 First ten months

My issue is that I wrote the ceo@ echostar to check the price I was told. I was told that I could get a replacement dish (1000, not two dishes. I specifically asked about two dishes in my location) which would fix the Superstation problems and two separators for splitting the current 721 so I could leave the 721 and 622 hooked to the same TV to allow me more DVR space. The Dish contractor comes a few days later and tells me as soon as he hits my front deck that I need to put a second dish to get 61.5 (which jives with what I have researched on the boards here but was lead to believe by the Dish Rep that the 1000.2 would work. I then mention to the contractor that I wanted to install 2 separators to split the coax and I get a “deer in headlights” look and he says I need two coaxes for each receiver from each dish to the receiver. He says I need a second dish (on my roof.) and that the work order never mentions that the 721 was not working. The tech then asks me if I have a 44 switch. I am mot going to bash the contractors so I tell him we are done and that there has been a huge miscommunication between Dish and his company. I just want to get the straight scoop.

OPK..The dish 1000.2 is Dish pro plus technology...The 61.5 wing dish as you suspected is needed for your location as you cannot "see" the 129....Your best bet is a d-500 with a 61.5 wing dish..Your locals are as of yet (to my kowledge) not available in HD.
so basically you need just the 61.5...Now, with that said, you will need a second run of cable to each of your dual tuner receivers unless you want to fork over $200(MSRP) for a DPP44 swicth.......
I assume by supersations you mean WWOR,WPIX, WSBK,KWGN and KTLA. No clue as to why you are having issues with these..Perhaps your LNB is about to assume room temperature..If I was to perform a service call at your home, I would do a complete troubleshoot. Get everything working. Then try to asnwer your questions on upgrades and help you thru the process....It's too bad this isn't the end of July..I will be up there (Glens Falls/Lake George) on vacation....I would try to help you if I was there....Good luck!

Tech Chat Recap May 14th

Low Battery Very Often

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)