722 local channels DVR question(s)

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I have a few questions that I'm not sure if they are related or not.

I have the 722 hooked up to a HDTV (1) and Standard (2).

Is there a way, when setting up recordings via TV1, to have it programmed so it records on TC2? For instance, I might be watching a show on TV1, and want to set it up to record all future shows, but know that folks will probably be using TV1 at that time, so want to set it up for TV2. I don't see an obvious way to do that via TV1.

Given that I couldn't figure that out, here's the second question...

I wanted to record a PBS show that we pick up via OTA antenna. On TV1, I can see 2-00, 2-01 amd 2-02.

However, on TV2, I can only see TV2-00, so when I record via setting things up on TV2, I can only get the analog signal.

Any idea why I couldn't see the exact same local stations that I see on TV1? Is that an entirely separate tuner that has to re-scans the OTA stations?

THe only other recording was an HBO movie that recorded on TV2, but that was in full HD, so it doesn't seem that TV2's DVR is limited to non-HD programming.

All 3 tuners are capable of HD recording and playback. But the TV2 output is crippled in that (1) it can only display SD or downconverted HD, and (2) the OTA tuner is gratuitously AWOL. You can, however, set up an OTA recording and start watching it immediately on TV2.

I have a few questions that I'm not sure if they are related or not.

I have the 722 hooked up to a HDTV (1) and Standard (2).

Is there a way, when setting up recordings via TV1, to have it programmed so it records on TC2? For instance, I might be watching a show on TV1, and want to set it up to record all future shows, but know that folks will probably be using TV1 at that time, so want to set it up for TV2. I don't see an obvious way to do that via TV1.

Given that I couldn't figure that out, here's the second question...

I wanted to record a PBS show that we pick up via OTA antenna. On TV1, I can see 2-00, 2-01 amd 2-02.

However, on TV2, I can only see TV2-00, so when I record via setting things up on TV2, I can only get the analog signal.

Any idea why I couldn't see the exact same local stations that I see on TV1? Is that an entirely separate tuner that has to re-scans the OTA stations?

THe only other recording was an HBO movie that recorded on TV2, but that was in full HD, so it doesn't seem that TV2's DVR is limited to non-HD programming.
In addition to what was said above, if you record on 2-01 or 2-02 you are actually using the OTA Tuner, so you will still be able to watch (or record) something from satellite on Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. TV2 does not usually "see" the live programming from the OTA Tuner.

Geoff

MENU
8-Preferences
5-Record Plus
Choose TV2

Ed, it's set up that way, but when I'm on TV1, pick a show on the guide, and hit RECORD, it says DVR[1].

Regarding the channel issue...do I understand this right: any local channel via OTA is being recorded via the 3rd tuner? In theory, I could then record 3 shows at once? (1 on TV1, one on TV2, and one OTA?)

I'm not sure that addresses the issue of not seeing all the stations on TV2, though. It appears that I can't get to any of the local sub-stations on TV2 (regardless of whether they are HD or not).

Don't choose an OTA channel when you "pick a show". If it's set up the way you say, that is, "Record Plus" is enabled, it will record on TV2, unless TV2 is already set up to record something.

Yes, you can record (3) shows at once with a 622/722.

You're correct that you can't see the sub-channels on TV2. TV2 can't "see" the OTA tuner. If you want to see the OTA tuner at the 2nd TV, put the receiver in SINGLE MODE.

Don't choose an OTA channel when you "pick a show".

So...how should I pick it?

If it's set up the way you say, that is, "Record Plus" is enabled, it will record on TV2, unless TV2 is already set up to record something.

Should it then say DVR[2] in the record set up screen?

You're correct that you can't see the sub-channels on TV2. TV2 can't "see" the OTA tuner.

Ah! I guess that sort of makes some odd sense. TV1 sees the OTA tuner and DishTuner 1. TV2 only sees DishTuner2.

Annoying, and something I wish I had known earlier, but it does kind of make sense. I guess we'll keep a digital converter box hooked up to that TV.

OTA channels, when being recorded, may appear as "1". In other menus, it will appear as an antenna graphic. This is from memory though and honestly, I don't pay that much attention anymore. Just pick a satellite channel for your test and it should record to TV2 based on your "Record Plus" setting being enabled.

If you put the receiver in SINGLE MODE, you can watch the digital sub-channels on TV2. Problem is, people can't independently watch on TV2 (unless you switch back to DUAL MODE).

Single Mode works great for me (rarely, if ever, will watch both TVs at once). So in this mode, my TV2 sees OTA and all the same content as TV1. I also like that DVR recording is much more controllable via Single Mode (in Dual Mode, it seemed impossible to stop a DVR recording in-progress on the 2nd tuner, but in Single Mode, you can easily control it).

If I do ever have a need to go back to Dual Mode, it's just a simple button push on the front of the receiver. Pretty darn easy.

Do you think 2009 will be a good year for Dish?

DirecTV v. Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)