722 Loudness

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm up here in northern PA and today was the first real warm day. I think we were in the mid 80's. Anyway I noticed my 722 fan kicking on quite a bit. At times it seemed to run for 15-20 minutes straight. Pretty loud too. It's not enclosed and I don't have anything sitting on it, so it does have room to breathe. Anyway, just wondering if this was normal as I haven't heard it get this loud since I got it in January. I have heard it rev up in the early AM hours during updates, but never during the day as it did today and yesterday. I've read a few older threads, but didn't know if outside temp plays a big part in this things functioning.

I never heard of this type of problem, My receivers have been loud (but not that long in summer when it was very humid) so it could be influenced by the temp, but it certainly wasn't humid yesterday. Is the receiver in direct sunlight? That may effect it as well. You may want to look into a cooler for the receiver. Radio Shack has a laptop cooler that should work for you if this is the case.

I noticed the same thing last week when it was hot here in California. It was in the upper 80s lower 90s and the fan in the 722 was pretty loud. Temperatures went back to normal and now the fan is on but a lot quieter.

The sound level on restart/bootup is louder than normal operation where the fan is running. If it is the same sound level all the time then something might be wrong.

I connected a small case fan sucking out hot air from the left side of the receiver and it keeps things much cooler. If you want more info, just look into the 622 Temperature thread. The internal fan in the receiver would not go on as often if the temperatures are kept lower by using this method. It will lenghten the life of your receiver (hard drive namely) if you keep it cooler. My first one died after 9 months and since then I've had an external fan attached.

Laptop cooler is not the best solution as the DVR intake and outflow are on the sides, not the bottom.

As bebop mentioned, Thermaltake makes a $10 USB-powered fan (with knob controlling speed and thereby loudness). 622 has two USB ports, so even if you are using USB external hard drive, you can still plug the fan directly into the DVR.

Place it right in the middle of the outflow vents on the left of the DVR.

Laptop cooler is not the best solution as the DVR intake and outflow are on the sides, not the bottom.

As bebop mentioned, Thermaltake makes a $10 USB-powered fan (with knob controlling speed and thereby loudness). 622 has two USB ports, so even if you are using USB external hard drive, you can still plug the fan directly into the DVR.

Place it right in the middle of the outflow vents on the left of the DVR.
I opted not to get the thermaltake fan because I found one for cheaper (<$10 including shipping) that is quieter. But I needed to use my own power supply (spare one from my old discman that put out the right voltage and current). For the little amount of current it draws, I'd rather have it generate heat at the transformer in the wall plug instead of pulling more power from the guts of the receiver. It probably is negligible - but it was cheaper and quieter, so hey! Either one is a good idea - keep things cooler and quieter.

Newegg.com - ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Thanks for the help. The temp thread pretty much seems to have the answers. My receiver is running real hot. High 140 low 80 and avg 123. I am definitely getting a fan for this thing before it's too late. To answer the one question, it's not in direct sunlight. It is in a cabinet with what I thought was enough room to breathe. No glass door or nothing on top of it. I guess I was wrong on that one. The fan solution seems relatively cheap. Thanks again.

Those temps are HDD temps and the CPU temps are considerably hotter.

Over heating of the CPU is what causes lockups and reboots.

Over heating the HDD will cause it to fail.

Why so many east coast locals on 129?

Goldman Sachs Downgrades Dish Network Stock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)