722K and new L6.68 firmware update

User1001

Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
USA
I'm having a problem since this new update and I was wondering if a few members could try their units at home and see if they have the same problem or if it's just me/my box.

Go to your recordings, you should see a list of, what else, stuff you have recorded.

Now if you have folders (or groups or whatever it's called) setup, go into one of those. for example, I have several folders setup for me, my wife, kids by name, etc... so each person can set their own recordings up and keep them in their own folder.

now, under those folders, let's say I have other folders, or recordings. so, If I have several episodes of Law & Order under mine and several episodes of Star Trek also, it will show a folder named as such. Now when I go into one of these, it displays all several episodes that are contained in that folder. So, I open my "Law & Order folder", it displays all episodes I have recorded. now, If I hit info on one of them, it brings up the info display telling me about that episode.

All normal so far. but when I select the close or done button, I forget what it's called during info, or even if I press the cancel button on the remote, it takes me all the way back to the main PVR menu that displays the main folders/groups....instead of simply existing out and letting me scroll down to the next episode and displaying info on it.

so what I'm having to do is go into my group (folder), go into another folder (list of recordings) t display them all, pick one and hit info to read about it, then cancel, and I have to go in that order again.

This began at the exact time my PVR received it's latest update.

I tried several things myself, like setting it back to factory default in the menu, reboot button, hard reboot, soft reboot, etc....same thing.

I called dish Network to report this problem, and after going over their suggestions, which are pretty much the same things I did before calling, they said my receiver is bad, probably the Hard disk, and I need to exchange it.

I don't think it's my PVR, I think it's their firmware update, but I need others to see if they are having the same problem. replacing it is free for me, I verified, but I would have to transfer all my recordings to an external HDD before shipping this one back and set the other one up like this one and I really don't want to do that.

also, the support said there had been no recent firmware updates, so that's one thing they were wrong about.

anyway, anyone can do those simple steps and report back what they get will help me greatly. Thanks in Advance.

I have no idea, I don't have L668 yet, hope it doesn't affect everyone :( .

I'll be sure and report on this when I get L668. I can confirm that here on L667 it works properly, though it oddly shows the satellite number it's on even though it's a recording, but it just shows which satellite you are currently tuned into. At any rate, works right here on L667.

Hopefully someone else with L668 can confirm this functionality before I get it. If not, I'll definitely report back to you with my findings.

bump.

still wanting a few 722k owners with latest L668 firmware update to report back if they are having the issue stated above or if it's just my unit.

bump.

still wanting a few 722k owners with latest L668 firmware update to report back if they are having the issue stated above or if it's just my unit.

Well, I still don't have L668, I hear that they have pulled L668 from the wild, however I have seen reports of people experiencing the same issue as you on L668 as well as people on the ViP 722 non-k with L670.

Thanks for the reply 3HaloODST, I'll keep my eyes open to see if anything changes.
strange, over 280 views of this thread and no one can neither confirm nor deny that this is a problem with their box also. Must be doing IKS:rolleyes:. I started some threads on my old stomping grounds this morning so hopefully someone there can check for me. I'll keep checking back here also.

The way it is

I'm having a problem since this new update and I was wondering if a few members could try their units at home and see if they have the same problem or if it's just me/my box.

Go to your recordings, you should see a list of, what else, stuff you have recorded.

Now if you have folders (or groups or whatever it's called) setup, go into one of those. for example, I have several folders setup for me, my wife, kids by name, etc... so each person can set their own recordings up and keep them in their own folder.

now, under those folders, let's say I have other folders, or recordings. so, If I have several episodes of Law & Order under mine and several episodes of Star Trek also, it will show a folder named as such. Now when I go into one of these, it displays all several episodes that are contained in that folder. So, I open my "Law & Order folder", it displays all episodes I have recorded. now, If I hit info on one of them, it brings up the info display telling me about that episode.

All normal so far. but when I select the close or done button, I forget what it's called during info, or even if I press the cancel button on the remote, it takes me all the way back to the main PVR menu that displays the main folders/groups....instead of simply existing out and letting me scroll down to the next episode and displaying info on it.

so what I'm having to do is go into my group (folder), go into another folder (list of recordings) t display them all, pick one and hit info to read about it, then cancel, and I have to go in that order again.

This began at the exact time my PVR received it's latest update.

I tried several things myself, like setting it back to factory default in the menu, reboot button, hard reboot, soft reboot, etc....same thing.

I called dish Network to report this problem, and after going over their suggestions, which are pretty much the same things I did before calling, they said my receiver is bad, probably the Hard disk, and I need to exchange it.

I don't think it's my PVR, I think it's their firmware update, but I need others to see if they are having the same problem. replacing it is free for me, I verified, but I would have to transfer all my recordings to an external HDD before shipping this one back and set the other one up like this one and I really don't want to do that.

also, the support said there had been no recent firmware updates, so that's one thing they were wrong about.

anyway, anyone can do those simple steps and report back what they get will help me greatly. Thanks in Advance.

That's not a bug that is the way it is for everyone. Cancel the change out. Mine will stay in the group though until you hit the done on the list to the right. Is that not what yours is doing? BTW I have mine grouped by title.

not sure what you mean by Cancel the change out.

Anyway, it wasn't like this before. If you use your remote to view your recordings and have groups set up, then whatever shows you record will be stored in certain groups. So, if you want to record episodes like "Star Trek" and "Star Gate" and store them in a group named "SciFi", it would have a group named "SciFi", and when you opened it, it would show two more groups named "Star Trek" and "Star Gate". now, if you use the remote to maneuver into one of those groups, in this example, Star Gate", it would expand and show however many episodes of this it has recorded. now you can maneuver over each episode and press the "info" button to display info about each show, what it's about, etc.

Now, here is where my problem begins. normally, when I either (A) press the cancel button on the remote or (B) select the "done" button in the menu that is brought up, it will go back to exactly where I was. so I can move down to the next episode and see what it was about.
It's not doing that now, what it is doing is pausing for a few seconds, and then taking me back to the PVR menu that displays all the groups.
so now I have to maneuver back into a group, into a group episode, select the next episode, and hit "info" again to see what it was about.

I haven't lost any recordings, all shows play fine, the unit isn't reporting any problems with the HDD, it's like there is a glitch in the code that doesn't do what it did before.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to force these units to take a new firmware update by JTAGing and erasing a sector, or to roll back to a previous version via the same process. So I'm kinda stuck with dish saying the HDD is bad, and it may be, or there being a glitch in this new version or the box itself, Or the firmware not being properly installed.

not sure what you mean by Cancel the change out.

Anyway, it wasn't like this before. If you use your remote to view your recordings and have groups set up, then whatever shows you record will be stored in certain groups. So, if you want to record episodes like "Star Trek" and "Star Gate" and store them in a group named "SciFi", it would have a group named "SciFi", and when you opened it, it would show two more groups named "Star Trek" and "Star Gate". now, if you use the remote to maneuver into one of those groups, in this example, Star Gate", it would expand and show however many episodes of this it has recorded. now you can maneuver over each episode and press the "info" button to display info about each show, what it's about, etc.

Now, here is where my problem begins. normally, when I either (A) press the cancel button on the remote or (B) select the "done" button in the menu that is brought up, it will go back to exactly where I was. so I can move down to the next episode and see what it was about.
It's not doing that now, what it is doing is pausing for a few seconds, and then taking me back to the PVR menu that displays all the groups.
so now I have to maneuver back into a group, into a group episode, select the next episode, and hit "info" again to see what it was about.

I haven't lost any recordings, all shows play fine, the unit isn't reporting any problems with the HDD, it's like there is a glitch in the code that doesn't do what it did before.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to force these units to take a new firmware update by JTAGing and erasing a sector, or to roll back to a previous version via the same process. So I'm kinda stuck with dish saying the HDD is bad, and it may be, or there being a glitch in this new version or the box itself, Or the firmware not being properly installed.

I now see that you are using group different than I am. I only group by title not by type. So we are seeing things differently. Cancel the change out (they are talking about a swap out) was as far as I could tell there wasn't anything wrong but since we are doing it differently then we are seeing things differently.

I have groups set up like you do and I recently got the L668 software update. I'll check to see if my 722k does the same thing when I get home tonight and let you know.

Okay, apparently I got L668 last night, snuck up on me.

Anyway, I tried out what you mentioned, same issue. LAME. Oh well.

Not only does mine cancel all the way out of a folder, I have to reboot it every single day since I got the download. It slows to a crawl and a power button reset is all that will fix it.

Yep, get the same behavior on my 722k so swapping out your receiver won't solve a thing. Time to make another bug report to Dish.

Man, I can't believe all of you guy's have receivers that all need replaced now !

Dish support needs to know about this change in behavior, and get confirmation from engineering, before they replace a bunch of perfectly good DVRs.

I'm just waiting for the next update. I would imagine they will fix the slow down quickly. I just reboot it when I come home.

I know nothing is wrong with the receiver.

Compared to the Comcast DVR that sits on the shelf under it, it is still superior... lol.

Although, I am getting a 'new' Comcast guide beta delivered to my STB mid month for endorsement purposes. I am curious to see how it changes this archaic box.

Last edited:
Man, I can't believe all of you guy's have receivers that all need replaced now !

Dish support needs to know about this change in behavior, and get confirmation from engineering, before they replace a bunch of perfectly good DVRs.

thats an absolutley normal response. the answer to that response is to hang up, call back, and get the right answer.

I'm just waiting for the next update. I would imagine they will fix the slow down quickly.

I'm not so sure about that, as I have had the slowdowns off-and-on since L662. Though so far L668 hasn't given me any slowdowns, but I expect since everyone else is reporting the issue it'll creep up on me sooner or later.

But yeah, still FAR superior than the U-verse DVR I used to have.

...but I expect since everyone else is reporting the issue it'll creep up on me sooner or later.
If Dish somehow gets wind of this change, they'll either say "yeah, we did that on purpose" or "ooops, not sure why that happened". On a scale of 1-10 as far as "importance", I think it will be rather low... That means it may remain this way for a while unless it's really easy to fix.

can you help me recreate the issue you have reported? i have tried everything i can think of and my receiver is just as snappy as ever...

FWIW, yesterday, I just kept using the DVR with the slow response. It eventually got back to normal speed.

I think it may have something to do with coming out of sleep mode. Anyway, I won't reset anymore. I'll just start my program and let it fix itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)