771 A

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnny58259

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
This happens sometimes when I change channels. Has anybody else had this issue. It don't seem to be effecting signal or anything yet. I had a tech out here last week cause occasionally my pic was digitizing last Sunday but I found out they were working on the sats. The tech also told me his standard equipment does it also sometimes. Any ideas or does allot of people have this issue. I'm wide open and tech said everything checked out fine.

This happens sometimes when I change channels. Has anybody else had this issue. It don't seem to be effecting signal or anything yet. I had a tech out here last week cause occasionally my pic was digitizing last Sunday but I found out they were working on the sats. The tech also told me his standard equipment does it also sometimes. Any ideas or does allot of people have this issue. I'm wide open and tech said everything checked out fine.

A 771a code means your equipment is having issues communicating with the lnb. It's often a cable problem or loose connection. Check all of them. It could be the power inserter, too. Is it plugged into a switched outlet? If so, try to use one that isn't switched.

I'm pretty sure I had this error code and issue at my last apartment. The flat coax in my window coming from the satellite was worn through. I replaced it and the error went away.

The flat coax is a good solution to not being able to run cable through a wall, but as you found out, are susceptible to failure.

they were working on the sats

Thats interesting ....
IF that was the case EVERYBODY would have the issue.

He fed you a line there.

Yep, Jimbo's right.. The 771A is a very specific error.. The satellites could be blown out of the sky by invading zombie aliens and it wouldn't cause that error (It would however cause a Searching for Satellite (771))
The 771A means the receiver cannot communicate with the SWM.
If you have more than one receiver, was it on all of them, or just one? If its on all of them it could be the power inserter or the cable outside that goes up to the dish. If it was just one, then its probably the cable inside that goes to the one receiver.
If your power inserter is plugged in to a power strip, try plugging it directly into the wall. DON'T MOVE IT INTO A DIFFERENT ROOM! The power inserter's coax cable has to be connected into a specific port on the splitters.. moving it into a different room will screw that up and you will have the 771A until you move it back (or change the connections at the splitter).

I've had the issue since the software update earlier this summer. Never had the problem before so I'm left guessing that something in the software made the receivers a bit more wonky if the coax is even slightly loose.

I started getting this error every day from 4-5pm for a week. I still have my original DTV tivo sir4040 and it was just fine during the 771a on the new system. I have an HR24 -200 with one other standard receiver and the whole home system. I have my receiver using a wired connection to my home router and the whole home uses a little box with the coax cable wiring. I spent a bunch of money getting direct tv out to fix the problem, signed up for the protection plan and all that. Didn't have any issues for about a year with the system prior to this. They were actually here during the outage, ended up replacing the little power injector uint that is between the dish and dvr and the lnb's on the dish. Dish alignment was fine, nothing else could be found, everything worked again. As soon as they left I walked in and 771a on the tv. It seemed to clear up and work from then on out for a couple months.

Well today about 1 771a is on my tv again. I turned everything off, still 771a. Reset the power injector thing as well. Tivo works just fine. I started thinking I wonder if it would have anything to due with my internet? My internet was up and running just fine but it was the only thing that is different between the tivo and the new dvr. Just for fun I powered off my router and cable modem, turned off the tv and dvr, didn't unplug, just turned them off with the remote, unplugged the little dish power injector and waited about 2 minutes till the light went out on it. I then booted up my router, cable modem and went back over, plugged in the dish power injector unit, waited about a minute till I thought the internet was back up and turned on the tv and dvr, there was tv again.

So if you are getting this error this could be something you can try, hope it works for you.

I started getting this error every day from 4-5pm for a week. I still have my original DTV tivo sir4040 and it was just fine during the 771a on the new system. I have an HR24 -200 with one other standard receiver and the whole home system. I have my receiver using a wired connection to my home router and the whole home uses a little box with the coax cable wiring. I spent a bunch of money getting direct tv out to fix the problem, signed up for the protection plan and all that. Didn't have any issues for about a year with the system prior to this. They were actually here during the outage, ended up replacing the little power injector uint that is between the dish and dvr and the lnb's on the dish. Dish alignment was fine, nothing else could be found, everything worked again. As soon as they left I walked in and 771a on the tv. It seemed to clear up and work from then on out for a couple months.

Well today about 1 771a is on my tv again. I turned everything off, still 771a. Reset the power injector thing as well. Tivo works just fine. I started thinking I wonder if it would have anything to due with my internet? My internet was up and running just fine but it was the only thing that is different between the tivo and the new dvr. Just for fun I powered off my router and cable modem, turned off the tv and dvr, didn't unplug, just turned them off with the remote, unplugged the little dish power injector and waited about 2 minutes till the light went out on it. I then booted up my router, cable modem and went back over, plugged in the dish power injector unit, waited about a minute till I thought the internet was back up and turned on the tv and dvr, there was tv again.

So if you are getting this error this could be something you can try, hope it works for you.

The reason you don't have the issue with the TIVO is that the Tivo isn't connected to the SWM set up.
I don't believe that the TIVO sets are compatible with the SWM, unless they have changed something recently.

Not keeping up with the TIVO's, don't know for sure what the NEW TIVO does, but the older ones were no compatible as there was no SWM back then.

Jimbo said:
The reason you don't have the issue with the TIVO is that the Tivo isn't connected to the SWM set up.
I don't believe that the TIVO sets are compatible with the SWM, unless they have changed something recently.

Not keeping up with the TIVO's, don't know for sure what the NEW TIVO does, but the older ones were no compatible as there was no SWM back then.

New ones are swm, they don't do much else though

I know the old system doesn't have swm and it is not connected to the internet. The fact that it worked showed me there wasn't some kind of signal problem. I have had the tivo dish in the same place for 10 years, nothing between it and the sky, very high signal. My new dish is right under the tivo dish, very high signal as well. My question is what does the swm have to do with the internet connection since resetting the network equipment seems to correct the 771a problem. If it happens again I am just going to reset the network equipment and not touch anything else to see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't happen again though. I wish I would have thought to try the network equipment reset in the first place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.