922 is going to take a dump and die soon?

I have an owned Joey that I activate and deactivate at will, as needed. No reason to pay except for the days you use it.

The 922 is working but the menus are sluggish, so I am going to have it exchanged anyway.

It also sounds like the internal fan might not be working correctly.

If you upgrade to the Hopper you can buy a channel 3/4 modulator for about $10 and connect it to the back of the Hopper then use your existing coax cable to distribute the SD signal just as you do the 922s SD signal on TV2.

If you upgrade to the Hopper you can buy a channel 3/4 modulator for about $10 and connect it to the back of the Hopper then use your existing coax cable to distribute the SD signal just as you do the 922s SD signal on TV2.

That's if he has a separate coax cable for TV2. A lot of homes only have one cable to a TV and with the VIP series of receivers they diplexed the Sat in cable with the TV2 out signal. This does not work as well with the Hopper system.

That's if he has a separate coax cable for TV2. A lot of homes only have one cable to a TV and with the VIP series of receivers they diplexed the Sat in cable with the TV2 out signal. This does not work as well with the Hopper system.
Reread post #18 he is in single mode but has 3 connected TVs and can switch modes to allow viewing in the additional rooms.

Reread post #18 he is in single mode but has 3 connected TVs and can switch modes to allow viewing in the additional rooms.

I get that but that doesn't change what I said. He may have his house set up that way by only using one cable going to the 922. The cable may split off somewhere else in order to feed those other TVs. If it's set up this way it can be a pain to mirror the Hopper. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet how many cables he has run to the 922.

Kind of sounds like you HDD is dying. Do you have any events archived on an external HDD? You could see if those play (that worked when my Hopper drive died). 922 might be different.

Also, sounds like you own the box. Did you purchase it from Dish ?

I get that but that doesn't change what I said. He may have his house set up that way by only using one cable going to the 922. The cable may split off somewhere else in order to feed those other TVs. If it's set up this way it can be a pain to mirror the Hopper. I haven't seen it posted anywhere yet how many cables he has run to the 922.

It's an apartment so I can't use any of the inside wiring. There is a dedicated coax going from the dish to the 922 sat IN (splitter thing for SAT IN 1/2), and another coax goes from the 922 distribution OUT to a splitter (regular coax type) to feed the bedroom TVs.

There are plenty of wireless devices to distribute the signal.

I had one of these devices that used 2.4 GHz. There are so many 2.4 GHz WiFi networks here that the signal was very poor, and whenever I had the device turned on, my own 2.4 GHz WiFi network went from barely tolerable to completely useless.

Kind of sounds like you HDD is dying. Do you have any events archived on an external HDD? You could see if those play (that worked when my Hopper drive died). 922 might be different.

Also, sounds like you own the box. Did you purchase it from Dish ?

Yes I own the box, it was purchased brand new January 2014 from a dealer on Amazon. DISH already sent me a replacement and I just activated it. The hard drive in the old one was definitely dying. I was out of town since thanksgiving but I came back to the old 922 and noticed all the newest recordings were chopped in half or thirds, like it had crashed in the middle of all those recordings.

The 922......the biggest hunk of junk dish ever made. I went through 5 of them in 12 months.
The biggest disappointment that I had with the 922 ,besides the buggy software and constant random reboots, and failed sling function, was when DISH announced the dish sling receiver 300 for the 922 was never going to come to market. It was supposed to be able to give the 922 an hd tv 2 using sling over the internet. The whole reason why I traded my 722k in for the 922 was to be able to get hd on tv 2. When they finally said they weren't going through with the sling 300 I gave up on the 922 and traded it back in for a brand new 722k. Stayed with that till the hopper came through. The hopper /joey combo is everything the 922 was supposed to be and more. The biggest lesson I learned with the 922 debacle was never buy technology based on what it might have some time in the future, but on what it does have right now.

The replacement 922 is already failing again - and DISH has screwed up their billing not once, but twice.

I originally bought the 922 on January 14th, 2014, so the original 1 year warranty is now over (not like they really honored it anyway, with this $75 charge sitting on my account - DIRT got it removed, and then it appeared again literally the next day).

The thing is, cable has a very good promotional rate right now. I can avoid a lot of the fees by using my lifetime TiVo with a cable card, and the apartment is already wired up. Even when the promo rate is over, cable is cheaper. No contract for the promo rate either, as far as I could tell.

The receiver now works again, inexplicably.

Also, I don't think they will exchange a 922 for a 722. The 922 is still under manufacturers warranty.

Even if it wasn't, I bought a Square Trade warranty at the same time as the 922 and it covers the 2nd and 3rd years. i don't usually buy those warranties but I knew the potential for problems with the 922.

Exactly what I ended up doing. My problem wasn't the 922 died, I got switched to the Eastern Arc and whenever it drizzled I lost signal on ALL of the feeds. Two tech visits could not fix the problem or even figure out why my levels were so low...nothing blocking the bird...replaced EVERYTHING and still levels were low. I used a TIVO with lifetime for my OTA locals and I just got an M-card and hooked up to my local cable. Without any promotion I am savings myself $48 per month minus $2 for the card rental. Haven't had an outage since I switched over in September. PQ is just as good with Switched Digital Video. Was happy with DISH for the 11 years I was with them, but I could not put up with the constant rain outages. A two day rain event was the final straw.

Exactly what I ended up doing. My problem wasn't the 922 died, I got switched to the Eastern Arc and whenever it drizzled I lost signal on ALL of the feeds. Two tech visits could not fix the problem or even figure out why my levels were so low...nothing blocking the bird...replaced EVERYTHING and still levels were low. I used a TIVO with lifetime for my OTA locals and I just got an M-card and hooked up to my local cable. Without any promotion I am savings myself $48 per month minus $2 for the card rental. Haven't had an outage since I switched over in September. PQ is just as good with Switched Digital Video. Was happy with DISH for the 11 years I was with them, but I could not put up with the constant rain outages. A two day rain event was the final straw.

HEy have a question about the M-card and what cable company are you using?
I recently had similar issues with the 922 approximately 2 month ago the frequent rebooting necessary increased. freeze up sometime would require multi-power plug resets. I have this unit for only 2 years . I Have often wondered if the software nightly downloads messed device up.. I now have a hopper and it is horrible
change channels and video blocking unwatchable. have to rewind then fast forward to straighten it out.. this only recording on one tuner. weather condition not a factor. Funny story the installer checked out at the dish and came in saying i was tuned to the eastern arc his meter told him 110 . I quickly replied and pointed to 110 and then pointed to where 61 was in the arc.
Oh it took 5 hr to install one hopper and a super joey I asked if he would tune the dish but he ran out of time. Oh i was supposed to get an upgrade with the sling . but he uninstalled the sling and put in another without sling they wanted to charge me 50.00 for this upgrade , how can they call it an upgrade if they remove the sling capability i had with the 922.
I felt like was being held hostage for the upgrade ransom.
for the past two years i have been paying 8.00 a month for the protection plan thats 182.00. and when i have a problem i get treated like this. How much does it cost to get out of this contract that is not being honored by dish. ??? Asked for a business card of the installer but he said he ran out,I never even got the name of the company the installer worked for so where do i start? Oh of course the bill for all the changes is all screwed up of course in Dish favor auto pay for 111.00 and at the end of the bill with some courtesy credits totaling 55.00 it was down to 102.00 strange math they use. Thinking about contacting the attorney general of Michigan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts