Timmernator

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 14, 2004
My current setup:

(1) 301 - bedroom
(1) 501 - family room
(1) 811 and (1) 510 - TV room
I think I've got a quad switch...

I'm not really sure exactly how these are connected (the dish is high up on my roof), but I've got two seperate lines feeding the 811 and 510

My 942 is coming this week which will replace the 811 and 501 (510 will be moved to family room)

Is there a way to feed the 942 with 1 line so that I can use the other to connect to an OTA antenna without running a 3rd line into my TV room?

I'm just trying to avoid a 3rd coax coming out of the wall...

Only if that "Quad Switch" is a DPP44.

Go to your check switch screen to figure out what you currently have.

If you don't already have the DPP44 (they're expensive), and you really need to avoid running another coax, then you can diplex the OTA signal onto one of the sat feeds to the 942. You can also diplex the 942 TV2 output (on the OTHER coax) to feed another room.

Note that diplexing causes signal loss, so if you're in a marginal area, it could be a problem.

Thanks for the reply, Simon. I checked the switch, all it says is "500 QUAD"...

I really want to use the 942 in single mode, connected only to my HDTV so I can watch both HS and SD.

webbydude said:
It sounds like you have a Leg Quad going on. Unfortunately, you're stuck running a new coax because of that.
No not quite - you missed part of his first post I guess.

He's got 2 RG-6s available to feed the 942 - no problem.

As for OTA, diplexers are the answer. He could even diplex both RG-6s - one for the OTA TO the 942, one for TV2 FROM the 942 and send that to the bedroom, and drop the 301.

I would keep the 501 instead of the 301. That gives you DVR on every receiver and there's no difference in the fee. Or even retire the 510 instead to offset the extra DVR fee from the 942.

BobaBird said:
I would keep the 501 instead of the 301. That gives you DVR on every receiver and there's no difference in the fee. Or even retire the 510 instead to offset the extra DVR fee from the 942.

Good idea, now that you mention it - forgot that the 501 & 301 cost the same... :) 'course, that raises the question if they'll let me keep 3 DVRs without trying tocharge me some kind of "extra" lease fee...

On the diplexer front, is that something that I can get included in the standard install?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts