Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Saw some other interesting things at Team Summit which I haven't had a chance to post yet... until now. :)

A few demos of software updates they are working on... some of these demos were just proof of concept and may never be released to the public, but it was cool to see what they could do.

First one was Content Transfer for the 922. With content transfer for the 922 you could move recordings between the 922's in your house. So if you have 2 or more you can transfer your recordings between 922's. Kind of neat, but I dont know many people with 2 922's in their house.

Another thing I saw was Mobile Video Transfer which will take your recordings and compress them down to fit your iPad / iPhone for best PQ but lowest file size. Think of this like a PocketDISH on your iPad/iPhone. I hope this one sees the light of day!

Another one I saw was the ability to back up your recordings to a PC. This was done using special software on your PC, and a special beta version of 922 software. Going in your 922 you can go in and protect the shows you want to keep, then these shows are automaticlly backed up to your PC. If your 922 crashes you can then restore recordings back to your 922. While the files are backed up to your PC you can not watch them or access them on your PC. While I like the idea of backing up your shows, I think this one is a waste... why not just plug in a USB drive to do backups directly to the drive instead of copying things to your PC?

I also saw and played with the Tailgater, this was really cool but unfortunately wont work well for me in Connecticut since seeing 129 in Connecticut is hard. The Tailgater is a portable satellite dish which uses a 211k receiver. The dish is hooked up with a single coax cable and the 211k controls the motorized dish which is hidden inside the plastic box. Some folks might recognize the shape of the tailgater as a VuCube by Kings Controls, and they would be correct, that's what it is... almost... the Tailgater is different then the VuCube as the switches and remote control circuits have been removed which has dropped the costs of the unit down to a MSRP of $349. The 211k is the only satellite receiver that works with the Tailgater. The tailgater will not work with the Eastern Arc due to the close positioning of the Eastern Arc sats.

You will notice in one of the pics you see the Tailgater with its top removed so you can see the motorized dish hidden under it.

And finally thanks to RFD-TV I got to see Roy Rogers Horse Trigger and his Dog Bullet! RFD-TV also threw a great party for all DISH Retailers with a fun rodeo... it was my first time seeing mutton busting... that was great fun! Thanks RFD-TV for a great night!

Attachments

• P1000729.JPG
    P1000729.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 240
  • P1000731.JPG
    P1000731.JPG
    469.9 KB · Views: 233
  • P1000733.JPG
    P1000733.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 238
  • P1000734.JPG
    P1000734.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 243
  • P1000735.JPG
    P1000735.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 273
  • P1000724.JPG
    P1000724.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 271
  • P1000723.JPG
    P1000723.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 365
  • P1000738.JPG
    P1000738.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 255
I talked to one of the guys about the mobile video transfer and he didn't make it sound like it would happen any time soon. Sounds like there are a lot of issues with copyrights that they didn't have to deal with in the pocket dish. I was really hoping for it too. That would be awesome to put a movie on my iPad for a trip.

I talked to one of the guys about the mobile video transfer and he didn't make it sound like it would happen any time soon. Sounds like there are a lot of issues with copyrights that they didn't have to deal with in the pocket dish. I was really hoping for it too. That would be awesome to put a movie on my iPad for a trip.

I agree this would really come in handy, seems like a feature that I wouldn't have a use for 2 years ago, but now, I can see it being used often.

When the installer installed my 722K, he wanted me to show him how the ext hard drive functions, since in his five years with Dish, doing mostly repairs and upgrades, I am the first customer that he has ever seen with the EXT Hard Drive hooked up to a 722 or 211. I guess 90% of the ext hard drive customers are Sat Guys members. Scott any idea how many ext hard drive customers Dish has. Sorry did not mean to hijack your thread.

First one was Content Transfer for the 922. With content transfer for the 922 you could move recordings between the 922's in your house. So if you have 2 or more you can transfer your recordings between 922's. Kind of neat, but I dont know many people with 2 922's in their house.
That would be good (they had mentioned something like this in a past tech forum) but they really need to include all the x22 DVR. not just the 922.

I thought I read a post from someone that was there who said that they were working on a MRV type feature for the 922 where that you could with two 922s, watch recorded content from one on the other. Is the file transfer feature you are referring to the same thing? I. E will you just be able to transfer files, not be able to network the two 922s together?

I thought I read a post from someone that was there who said that they were working on a MRV type feature for the 922 where that you could with two 922s, watch recorded content from one on the other. Is the file transfer feature you are referring to the same thing? I. E will you just be able to transfer files, not be able to network the two 922s together?
Because then you wouldn't need to upgrade to the 813/110 receiver concept. This is the way it always goes with DISH . New concepts mean new receivers , new technology . It is rare that they add on to existing tech and receivers like they did the sling adapter and dvr software for the external hard drives or adding external hard drives to 722/722k/922 dvrs.

Content owners shouldn't get all hot/bothered if the Mobile Video Transfer results in the high quality original getting deleted, while DRM remains on the low quality mobile version.

Saw some other interesting things at Team Summit which I haven't had a chance to post yet... until now. :)

A few demos of software updates they are working on...

Darn, I thought for sure you were going to say "And I actually saw the new 722k software release that was running the menu system at full speed all day long." lol.
Guess I will just keep on dreaming. :)

New Dish products and promotions

Fox Sports Houston

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)