Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got this from DISH and am just passing it along.

Good morning,

For the last 29 years, DISH TV has provided its services to subscribers all over the country. One of the top priorities for DISH has been to give its customers the ability to choose the channels, packages and programming they want, at the best price.

In light of recent news regarding DirecTV's introduction of its new opt-out feature for local channels, it's important to highlight that DISH has been offering this capability to customers for the last seven years. DISH firmly believes in empowering its subscribers with the ability to customize their viewing experience according to their preferences.

DISH understands that every viewer is unique, and their television preferences should reflect that. By allowing customers to opt in or out of subscribing to local channels, DISH demonstrates its commitment to putting the power of choice into the hands of its subscribers. It doesn’t end with just customer choice, we also prioritize those same features in our technology. The Hopper DVR platform is built to allow seamless integration of over the air channels directly into the channel guide, allowing for customers to access the local content they love with ease.

DirecTV customers interested in switching can visit our comparison page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF only DISH had come out with a 4 tuner ota usb dongle,so you could still get all 4 networks recording then subs could still have auto skip on their shows using Prime time anywhere and not miss anything by using an antenna instead of sat locals. I have that in my Tablo and my Air Tv Anywhere module for Sling Tv has that capability as well. DISH should be able to do the same since there is only one company now: Echostar. Then you could really have the best of both and not having to pay the extra $12.00 a month.

Got this from DISH and am just passing it along.

Good morning,

For the last 29 years, DISH TV has provided its services to subscribers all over the country. One of the top priorities for DISH has been to give its customers the ability to choose the channels, packages and programming they want, at the best price.

In light of recent news regarding DirecTV's introduction of its new opt-out feature for local channels, it's important to highlight that DISH has been offering this capability to customers for the last seven years. DISH firmly believes in empowering its subscribers with the ability to customize their viewing experience according to their preferences.

DISH understands that every viewer is unique, and their television preferences should reflect that. By allowing customers to opt in or out of subscribing to local channels, DISH demonstrates its commitment to putting the power of choice into the hands of its subscribers. It doesn’t end with just customer choice, we also prioritize those same features in our technology. The Hopper DVR platform is built to allow seamless integration of over the air channels directly into the channel guide, allowing for customers to access the local content they love with ease.

DirecTV customers interested in switching can visit our comparison page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But Dish USED to include locals with the packages, and the advertising I see for new subscribers says it includes locals, but us old timers started getting charged for it several years ago. (Probably 7 years, that's when they say they gave us the opportunity to opt-out.)

I think it’s beginning to look like DTV may go first. Satellite side, anyway. I wonder how successful they will be in converting their satellite customers to their streaming, when the wall nears.

I think it’s beginning to look like DTV may go first. Satellite side, anyway. I wonder how successful they will be in converting their satellite customers to their streaming, when the wall nears.
A while ago I read that Direct stated they will no longer be launching any new satellites. But what happens when their satellites become non functional? I once thought maybe they plan to lease transponder space from others, but that wouldn't be practical due to different satellite locations, and possible compatibility issues, etc. I guess even back then they planned to eventually go to 100% streaming. I suppose for those remaining customers without broadband access Dish would be their only option.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A while ago I read that Direct stated they will no longer be launching any new satellites. But what happens when their satellites become non functional? I once thought maybe they plan to lease transponder space from others, but that wouldn't be practical due to different satellite locations, and possible compatibility issues, etc. I guess even back then they planned to eventually go to 100% streaming. I suppose for those remaining customers without broadband access Dish would be their only option.
For a while, but not for ever. Broadband is being spread across the country, including in rural areas thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act. They only started to spend on it less than two years ago after they passed it in 2022. They will be spending on it for quite a few years till everyone has it. :smug

Are you serious? I can spend $120 month for Starlink and $75 month for YouTube TV for a total of $195 month. Or, I can spend $80 month for DISH and $20 month for the lame cellular hotspot I have for browsing at a total of $100 month.
Well obviously that wouldn't be in reference to someone that cab get good service. This is regarding people who live in rural areas that there's little or no cell reception and satellite is the only communications option. Where I live that's a lot of people.

Well obviously that wouldn't be in reference to someone that cab get good service. This is regarding people who live in rural areas that there's little or no cell reception and satellite is the only communications option. Where I live that's a lot of people.
That may be, does not mean rural folks subscribe to Satellite TV.

Simple math proves that.

Right now, there are under 15 Million that subscribe to Sat TV ( both services).

There is 131 Million Households in the United States, 16% of that is households in rural areas (almost 21 Million).

So, 16% of 15 Million would be 2.4 Million that subscribe to Sat TV in rural areas, that leaves over 18 Million in rural areas that do not sub to Sat TV.

But, say it is higher, maybe 40%( not that high at all) of Sat TV Subscribers live in rural areas, that would only be 6 Million, that means 15 Million of rural households do not have Sat TV.

Rural Areas are not the savior for Satellite TV.

By the way, I leave in a rural area, 2 acres of land, big house, well, septic, etc, I get 1G Broadband, this area has had it since 2018 ( two years before I moved here).

Previously I lived in Metro Areas, had broadband since 1996.

That may be, does not mean rural folks subscribe to Satellite TV.

Simple math proves that.

Right now, there are under 15 Million that subscribe to Sat TV ( both services).

There is 131 Million Households in the United States, 16% of that is households in rural areas (almost 21 Million).

So, 16% of 15 Million would be 2.4 Million that subscribe to Sat TV in rural areas, that leaves over 18 Million in rural areas that do not sub to Sat TV.

But, say it is higher, maybe 40%( not that high at all) of Sat TV Subscribers live in rural areas, that would only be 6 Million, that means 15 Million of rural households do not have Sat TV.

Rural Areas are not the savior for Satellite TV.

By the way, I leave in a rural area, 2 acres of land, big house, well, septic, etc, I get 1G Broadband, this area has had it since 2018 ( two years before I moved here).

Previously I lived in Metro Areas, had broadband since 1996.
My point honestly had nothing to do with satellite TV and everything to do with internet availability that's capable of streaming.

Me personally only live 1 mile out of town (who has 1ggb/s service) and up until about two years ago had zero options for good internet. I'm in the Texas Panhandle and unless you live in Amarillo, or one of the smaller surrounding towns with a population of atleast 8000, then it's extremely hard to find good internet. 90% of the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandle is all rural and there's a bunch of towns that don't even have reliable cell service.
And the point is that starlink is changing the way these thousands of homes access internet. Whereas the person I was responding too doesn't think it matters.
My boss lives where there's no internet or cell service and only option would of been Hughes net which absolutely sucks. But he was one of first on our area to get starlink and it was a game changer and will continue to be a game changer for the entire planet.

My point honestly had nothing to do with satellite TV and everything to do with internet availability that's capable of streaming.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But with the expansion of broadband, I just do not believe there will be enough residential subscribers to support Star Link.

Where Star Link should concentrate on is the business market, Cruise Ships ( which they are already making inroads with), Airplanes, businesses that cannot get broadband, etc, etc.

But with the expansion of broadband, I just do not believe there will be enough residential subscribers to support Star Link.
Who said anything about a business model only supporting rural subs? It will make money based on ground station numbers,. Rural customers will be carried by the rest of us.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Where Star Link should concentrate on is the business market, Cruise Ships ( which they are already making inroads with), Airplanes, businesses that cannot get broadband, etc, etc.

Keep in mind that Starlink is a global service, not just a US service.