Questions about Canceling

Like I said, I've helped with many cancelations and never any mention of a fee.
Straight from the Service Agreement-

DISH will send you one or more return labels or empty boxes (depending on your Leased Equipment) to be used by you in returning the Leased Equipment and DISH will charge you a Equipment Return TV Fee (as set forth in Exhibit 1) for each such return label or empty box.

Then under exhibit 1-

Equipment Return TV Fee

up to $20.00

DISH delivers return boxes and labels to return Leased Equipment.

Straight from the Service Agreement-

DISH will send you one or more return labels or empty boxes (depending on your Leased Equipment) to be used by you in returning the Leased Equipment and DISH will charge you a Equipment Return TV Fee (as set forth in Exhibit 1) for each such return label or empty box.

Then under exhibit 1-

Equipment Return TV Fee

up to $20.00

DISH delivers return boxes and labels to return Leased Equipment.

The point I'm making is that yes there's documentation saying there is a fee. But that doesn't mean it will always be actually be applied.

I cancelled before my next billing period started. I have not received an actual bill yet. But they charged me $9.78 for apparently the shipping label from Oklahoma to wherever.

Edit- I think I cancelled on the last day of my billing period. Probably most people don’t notice the charge cause they get prorated credit for time remaining in the billing period.
IMG_0496.png

Last edited:
Not that I can remember. It is possible they mumbled through something about terms though.
I had both Dish and DirecTV in the 2000’s, up to 2010, switching between the two ( 2 year deals)

Not at any time did either tell me when I signed up about the 2 year agreement, or about any cancellation policy.

For example, DirecTV never told me they were sending boxes out.

Now, I knew of everything because of this site, not a big deal, but they were not forthcoming with the information.

Hmmm. Why would a field tech be involved in a customer cancellation?

And does Dish often actually send someone out to climb on a roof and retrieve a LNB? Seems cheaper to just write it off. Especially today, when they must have a lot on hand.

Hmmm. Why would a field tech be involved in a customer cancellation?

And does Dish often actually send someone out to climb on a roof and retrieve a LNB? Seems cheaper to just write it off. Especially today, when they must have a lot on hand.
I call bull on it also.

There is no way Dish would send someone out just to cancel, they want to make the cancellation so uncomfortable ( all companies, not just Dish) you change your mind, there is no way at their expense.

A upgrade yes, trading in a 722 for a Hopper 3 for example.

Amazed that Hipkat has not jumped into this conversation.

I will say that I cited Tucker cancellation and lack of guide data on OTA channels for reasons to cancel. And the rep really really wanted to send a tech out to see if my missing guide data was a technical problem.

But I got guide data on biggest 6 or so channels. So clearly a choice by them not to provide on the rest. I refused the tech. I did not have to send LNB back because dish is on a pole and required use of ladder to reach.

Edit - when I say he really really wanted to send tech out, I mean it took more than 30min to cancel and multiple refusals by me for a tech. I asked if his incentive pay depended on me not cancelling during that call. I don’t think he gave straight answer.

There is a return box fee. And they may ask for the LNB back, but simply put a note in that it isn't safe to do so.

The fee is $20, but I want to say that if you have the Dish Protection plan on, this is waived. I'll check when I log in here in a bit.
I loved this because we got an answer from an actual DISH CSR who gave the answer that most of us who have been here for a long time knew to be true. Thank you T A G for piping in to close that avenue of disinformation.

I loved this because we got an answer from an actual DISH CSR who gave the answer that most of us who have been here for a long time knew to be true. Thank you T A G for piping in to close that avenue of disinformation.
What, my link and quote from Dish’s TOS was not good enough.

I’m hurt.

What, my link and quote from Dish’s TOS was not good enough.

I’m hurt.
Please don’t be hurt! I believed it, most of us believed it. But, you work for Disney not DISH. That left a door ajar for misbelief. When an actual DISH rep tells us what is what it leaves no doubt or room for doubt, except in the pit. :)