From DISH about Locals

My friend has Starlink, he gets about 40mbps during the day and 3 or less during prime time at night. That seems to be the norm
If he is on a mobile plan i can see that slow of a connection but i average 175-275 down all day every day usually closer to the latter. Is he getting his speed from the advanced test in the app and looking at the number on the right? Also obstructions can also cause a lesser connection.

Dish has updated their homepage for news users, dish.com, to make it very easy to remove locals when ordering. This appears to be in a direct response to DirecTV's announcement. On the homepage it now says on a big red banner "DISH includes flexible options to add or remove local programming!"

Then before even selecting or viewing a package, there is a button to remove locals. Much more obvious than previously that locals can be removed.

Then on the order page, it is very clear that you can add/remove on the fly

Attachments

• 1711209611309.png
    1711209611309.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
I think it’s beginning to look like DTV may go first. Satellite side, anyway. I wonder how successful they will be in converting their satellite customers to their streaming, when the wall nears.
As someone who is now on DTV stream I can honestly say it’s not gonna be too bad, the product looks and feels just like regular satellite and pretty much the only channels missing are mostly infomercial and religious. No CW in my area but I really don’t watch anything on that channel besides the occasional check in for an ACC game.

I could most likely do OK if I removed the locals being I have an OTA antenna and an AirTv tuner. I know I can only record two shows at a time, but I can watch CBS on Paramount and ABC on Hulu. The reason I won't cancel is where I camp in my RV I am in my spotbeam, so I can watch the locals via the satellite dish. This area has no OTA reception.

Reactions: charlesrshell
As someone who is now on DTV stream I can honestly say it’s not gonna be too bad, the product looks and feels just like regular satellite and pretty much the only channels missing are mostly infomercial and religious. No CW in my area but I really don’t watch anything on that channel besides the occasional check in for an ACC game.
The last time I checked DTV stream did not include any of the Music Choice channels. That is something that I would really appreciate as there is not much variety in English language music where I live.

The last time I checked DTV stream did not include any of the Music Choice channels. That is something that I would really appreciate as there is not much variety in English language music where I live.
That is a fair point but I’m going to take a guess that DTV feels its pointless because since you’re streaming they are assuming you’re getting your music fix through Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, etc…

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But with the expansion of broadband, I just do not believe there will be enough residential subscribers to support Star Link.

Where Star Link should concentrate on is the business market, Cruise Ships ( which they are already making inroads with), Airplanes, businesses that cannot get broadband, etc, etc.
Starlink is worldwide and not just in the US. It will continue to grow.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Starlink is worldwide and not just in the US. It will continue to grow.
So will Broadband Expansion, 5G Services, etc.

Not just here, but elsewhere also, a lot of other countries do not have the vast amount of land like we do here.

For 4/5G, Cell Towers here in the United States is under 200,000 ( as of 2022), China has over 2 Million, even India has 900,000.

So less customers available for a Satellite Internet Service.

So will Broadband Expansion, 5G Services, etc.

Not just here, but elsewhere also, a lot of other countries do not have the vast amount of land like we do here.

For 4/5G, Cell Towers here in the United States is under 200,000 ( as of 2022), China has over 2 Million, even India has 900,000.

So less customers available for a Satellite Internet Service.
5G has not panned out the way it was expected to. I know quite a few people who switched from Verizon or T-Mobile Home Internet to Starlink and are much happier with the performance.

5G has not panned out the way it was expected to. I know quite a few people who switched from Verizon or T-Mobile Home Internet to Starlink and are much happier with the performance.
But I have read many stories it is much better in other countries, with the increased number of towers, that would make sense.

Just imagine how good the service would be if we had 2 Million towers as China has.

Even Europe has double the number of towers then all of the United States.

For example Germany has more then 70,000, a country that is the size of one of our states, has only 30,000 less then half of what is in the States.

My friend has Starlink, he gets about 40mbps during the day and 3 or less during prime time at night. That seems to be the norm
Something seems amiss. I'm getting over 200 during the day and no less than 50-100 at night with more users sharing the cell. Speed is just never an issue, even with 4 different people streaming in the house.