A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Hopper...

ERSanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Fairport, NY
Two days ago I had a Dish Tech. come out to replace two 722Ks with two new Hoppers and one new Joey using a Duo-node. All cable was 3 ghz.

First Hopper worked great.

Second Hopper didn't authorize at all, as happened to two additional new Hoppers at that location.

So he replaced the Duo-node (logical).

Then the second Hopper worked, but the first didn't. The Joey also worked.

The Tech. went home leaving me with 1H/1J running and 1H down. I was OK with that since he had spent six hours getting that far.

Another Tech. came out the next day two replace the non-working Hopper (again), but first I suggested that he reverse the Hopper outputs on the Duo-node to see if perhaps the Duo-node or cabling was bad. The Hopper problem reversed working vs non working. That meant Duo-node probably bad but cables good.

So he replaced the Duo-node after testing the three cable signals incoming from the dish... all OK. After replaceing the Duo-node... same problem!

Then (his Idea) he swapped the incoming cables from the dish 1, 2, 3 became 1, 3, 2 and lo and behold the whole system worked just fine, BUT nobody knows why! STRANGE!

Only one problem remaining is how to get more than two UHF remotes working on a Hopper... any ideas?

The way I paired my remotes was bring up the System Info screen on the Hopper. On your remote press the Sat button and you will hear a chirp and then see your remote. I have eight remotes on one Hopper and wish I could just do one more, but eight is the limit.

Two days ago I had a Dish Tech. come out to replace two 722Ks with two new Hoppers and one new Joey using a Duo-node. All cable was 3 ghz.

First Hopper worked great.

Second Hopper didn't authorize at all, as happened to two additional new Hoppers at that location.

So he replaced the Duo-node (logical).

Then the second Hopper worked, but the first didn't. The Joey also worked.

The Tech. went home leaving me with 1H/1J running and 1H down. I was OK with that since he had spent six hours getting that far.

Another Tech. came out the next day two replace the non-working Hopper (again), but first I suggested that he reverse the Hopper outputs on the Duo-node to see if perhaps the Duo-node or cabling was bad. The Hopper problem reversed working vs non working. That meant Duo-node probably bad but cables good.

So he replaced the Duo-node after testing the three cable signals incoming from the dish... all OK. After replaceing the Duo-node... same problem!

Then (his Idea) he swapped the incoming cables from the dish 1, 2, 3 became 1, 3, 2 and lo and behold the whole system worked just fine, BUT nobody knows why! STRANGE!

Only one problem remaining is how to get more than two UHF remotes working on a Hopper... any ideas?

It is likely that one of the Satellite feed stingers was too short or had a flake of braiding shorting the line and it fell out when jostled. Either of these situations would interfere with band stacking for hopper two or both. Most times when swapping wires fixes a problem, the f-connector is the problem. Just my experience. Recently, when it was cold (How cold was it? My lawyer had his hands in his own pockets! rimshot), I had a good install go bad about eight hours after I left. When I swapped the solo node, I noticed one of the stingers was way short. I think the copper clad steel contracted from the extreme cold! It couldn't have been my numb fingers or my haste to make the fitting.

His / her remotes and Hopper is modulated out to Home distribution splitter to several old TVs. All those TVs need a remote too.

I too have the need for eight remotes due to the his/her issue mentioned earlier, hence the original question. Previously, with the 722Ks, I had HDMI cables strung to a fourth TV to a low useage sunroom location. So, in lieu of another Joey ($84/ per year) I supplied the fourth with the existing HDMI cables.

It also helps to have a cheap source of AAA batteries!

His / her remotes and Hopper is modulated out to Home distribution splitter to several old TVs. All those TVs need a remote too.

Well,that explains that.:D Myself,I would say honey here is your remote,you only get one,so be sure to take it with you from room to room.:D

Well,that explains that.:D Myself,I would say honey here is your remote,you only get one,so be sure to take it with you from room to room.:D

LOL, I would not dare Teehar to suggest such a thing! I even wear a wireless headset and carry a remote around with me sometimes so I can skip forward when required. My wife does not operate the remote unless I fall asleep while we are watching something. Then I will hear about it later!

I too have the need for eight remotes due to the his/her issue mentioned earlier, hence the original question. Previously, with the 722Ks, I had HDMI cables strung to a fourth TV to a low useage sunroom location. So, in lieu of another Joey ($84/ per year) I supplied the fourth with the existing HDMI cables.

It also helps to have a cheap source of AAA batteries!

We usually get our batteries from Sams in bulk supply.

Well, I had an advance tech. come by today for the third post-H/J repair due to more 015 "searching for signal" screens. After he replaced the LNB to duo-node cables, he found that the ORIGINAL 2009 installer had failed to crimp one of the three LNB to duo-node (was a switch with the 722Ks) cable ends. This small error which was not caught by at least ten tech. visits resulted in many outages for the last four years and probably accounted for at least five of eight receiver replacements. Now there's an area for improvement! Thanks to Bill (Adv. Tech.)

Well, I had an advance tech. come by today for the third post-H/J repair due to more 015 "searching for signal" screens. After he replaced the LNB to duo-node cables, he found that the ORIGINAL 2009 installer had failed to crimp one of the three LNB to duo-node (was a switch with the 722Ks) cable ends. This small error which was not caught by at least ten tech. visits resulted in many outages for the last four years and probably accounted for at least five of eight receiver replacements. Now there's an area for improvement! Thanks to Bill (Adv. Tech.)

This is the reason the techs are supposed to use a CQ Checklist when they do service calls.

Reason I asked, I've been told that in this configuration you should match the port numbers on LNBF and node. Not sure if it's still true and if this could've affected your case.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)