A problem with new Hopper

Templeton0543

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Central California
Everything is GREAT, until problems come up.
I have had Dish since around 1997 got a 722k sometime around when they came out. It finally died 2 weeks ago and instead of exchanging it got a Hopper with Sling and a Joey set up next day, on a Sunday (!). Two days after setting it up I pushed the DVR button and got some sort of network error message and all that had been recorded was missing. I rebooted and all was fine. This morning the tv came on and could watch channels fine but same thing happened- pushed DVR button, got same issue as before, rebooted, but this time went into an endless rebooting cycle. It would get to two green bars on the acquiring signal page, go black, reboot. The internet signal, before the box went FUBAR, checked out fine.
Called customer service, went through all the normal attempts at doing the same thing as I had done, she is sending a new Hopper. Now, I am reasonably electronically adept but I am disabled and not able to replace the equipment. The CSR said there would be instructions, but I watched the install of the Hopper and was thinking I was glad he was doing it. There is family to help, but not tech oriented ones. Anyone had to replace theirs? Is a simple plug and play?
NOT HAPPY 1- That the box went bad so soon, but stuff happens. And, more importantly, 2- No tech to come out replace Hopper and take other one back. MAYBE in two weeks she said.

It should be plug and play. Unplug the Hopper and the cables. Plug in the cables on the new one. Plug in the new Hopper and let it start up. If possible back up your settings by pressing the 0 key on the remote. You can restore them to the new Hopper.

It is complex plug and play, but still easy. Will tell you exactly what to do on the screen. Extremely easy. I beleive it is 7 steps.

Thanks guys, the CSR did say instructions are included in the box, guess I will RTFM :eeek
No EHD yet, just bought one and have not hooked it up yet.

Do want to take the time to say I have been lurking on this forum for a few years now and then. Thanks!

Just a heads up, it can take up to 72 hours for all features to work, including VOD and DVR. Don't get frustrated if you experience missing features in that time frame.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
By the way...:welcometo Satellite Guys! Let us know how you make out with the replacement. If same issues with new receiver, could be the cabling or some other hardware in the chain. Hopper system is very fussy about things like that.

Thanks David, the first 3 times it tried to reboot it got through the second green bar on the signal acquisition then crashed. The installer did some work up there, I thought maybe switch issue, CSR thought box. We shall see.

Thanks David, the first 3 times it tried to reboot it got through the second green bar on the signal acquisition then crashed. The installer did some work up there, I thought maybe switch issue, CSR thought box. We shall see.
Too bad you're in CA. I'd have come over to do it if you were closer. Maybe some SatGuys on the left coast can help out?

If in Santa Rosa, I'll come over and help. Installed two Hoppers, one Joey and a 211K this time. I'm only 77 so can do everything for myself still but no longer get on roofs.

I'm in Templeton, near Paso Robles, but I think I got it covered. A friend contacted a friend who used to do installs and if we have any issues he will come over.
Thanks!

OK! Had the Hopper shipped overnite and it arrived this afternoon.Got it all set up in about an hour and a half, it was easy-peasy and everything went smoothly. Took almost as long to go through and set up the DVR timers that I could find and just need to remember to set up timers for the fall lineup restarts and everything will be back to what passes as normal around here!
Thanks again!

If you had a Hopper before, all you needed to do was the restore wizard from your remote to restore all your times/favorites and ota channels if you have the dongle.

You need to wait 48-72 hrs for all the updates to settle in. So it you experience difficulties, BE PATIENT!

I had some issues with the remote, suddenly out of nowhere when I hit the TV button it would default back to SAT, but googled it and found the way to fix it. Everything appears to work.