Status
Please reply by conversation.

fafhrd2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Fairmont WV
Hi all,
Bought an RCA home theater system at a garage sale last week. It can process dolby digital & dts audio. Downloaded the manual so I can configure it.
My question is: do I need a special cable to hook up from the Fortec to the digital coaxial RCA-type connector on the HT unit (it says CD/DVD/ SAT input by the RCA plug).
Also, do you just run the cable from the R or L audio out connector on the Fortec? Thnks everyone.

You dont use either. There is a special output on the back that says "SPDIF" on it. I think there is a toslink and a coaxial output on the old Fortecs. My Pansat 2500 has the coaxial (like RCA plug)

You dont use either. There is a special output on the back that says "SPDIF" on it. I think there is a toslink and a coaxial output on the old Fortecs. My Pansat 2500 has the coaxial (like RCA plug)

On my Ultra there is the optical link as the output. I think that is called toslink. So if the home theater system does not have the optical then it will not connect.

I didn't know if that old FTA receiver had coaxial RCA or Toslink (optical fiber), but apparently it does.
If your amplifier only has the coax input, there may be an optical-to-coax converter you could pick up.
Try Meritline.com , Monoprice , or search the internet.

My question is: do I need a special cable to hook up from the Fortec to the digital coaxial RCA-type connector on the HT unit (it says CD/DVD/ SAT input by the RCA plug).
Yes.
edit: well, if it's RCA on both ends, any RCA cable will work.
If it's optical on both ends, then any old $2 toslink cable will work, of course. ;)

Also, do you just run the cable from the R or L audio out connector on the Fortec?
No. Won't work.
The receiver has nothing on those outputs when receiving an AC3 signal.

Last edited:
Radio shack used to have an optical/coaxial converter. Not sure if they still do, they've gotten rid of many of their useful catalog items.

Thanks to all responders to my questions. My STB does have the RCA out plug SPDIF and the home theater unit has RCA coaxial digital plug. I'm almost sure I'll be getting AC3 sound from PBS now, just going to use regular coax cable. Moved my 2.4 m offset dish forward of tree and foliage Tuesday and anchored it against wind-- really boosted SQ levels!

A 2.4m offset would be a bit unusual.
Show us a picture. - :up

Sound like (no pun) you'll be enjoying the joys of PBS , soon! ;)

Hey, gang, an update to this thread-- it works! Just ran a cheap RCA coax cable to the RCA HT box (2360DT model) and set it to dig coax dolby (or similar) and now have 3 speakers playing the Ac3. I had to delay working on this due to minor flooding after huge downpour of rain. (I know, I don't have my priorities straight!)

Anole, sorry cannot send pic as I lost the usb camera to PC cable. The dish is fiberglass and has heating elements inside it (117 volts) but they don't work anymore. I put mini Christmas lights around the perimeter in season. Have posted pics of this dish before here. Cheers!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)