Account Audit team unethical business practices

I had never expected the type of treatment they are giving their customers. I may be going to DirecTv here in another year. I don't like their lease though that they are coming out with, I'd rather own the receivers.

With D* you still have the option of buying your recievers out right even after they goto the lease deal, but untill then they are gining them away free like hotcakes. D* has GIVEN me 8 recievers and 4 dishes 100% free in 6 mouths plus 3 mouths free total choice platnium and 6 mouths free HD package, plus a dvd player(junk but good for my 4 year old).

The deals that they have now though is that they give them to you for free and you get to own them. If one were to ever turn the service off then want to get it turned back on later you wouldnt have to worry about trying to get the boxes again. If you turn DirecTv off after a lease deal would you be able to get the leased hardware back again for free or would you have to pay to get it put in again? Would they want their dish back if you shut their service off?

Stargazer said:
If they do this to enough people that own expensive hardware then someone will sue. The thing is Dish can afford lawyers and good ones too. You know how lawyers can be. They now how to twist things around to their favor.

SUE SUE SUE. Thats all everyone thinks now. Unless you get a good lawyer (??) and get permission to bring a class action suit you will loose more money with lawyer and court fees than you will make from E*. This audit team is stupid but in the name of "big" business and piracy I think this is just going to continue. I don't have my receivers (3) connected to a phone line and I have not been called (I just jinxed myself!!!!!!) yet.

Maybe Scott, since he seems to have a good relationship with E*, should write and EMAIL to Charlie and voice our opinions of the audit team. I am sure there is not 1 of us on this forum that has not in their computer or has had a piece of software of "borrowed" software.

There are, I am sure, some morons out there who have just 1 account with E* and have multiple receivers and are sharing the account with their neighbor. Don't get me wrong I don't work for E*, I work for the US Government, the FAA, but don't you think that maybe if there were no pirating that mayby our rate would be lower (BS but I thought I would give the "Do it for the GIPPER" speach anyway.

I really don't think the audit team is going away, no matter how much we yell and screem, shout and drop E*.

As I have stated earlier I will never have a phone hooked up to my receivers.

Just my thoughts with the help of a little Beafeater Gin!!!!!!!!

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

E could of SHOULD OF built a comm system into all boxes tied to a account, thru the switch or LNB.

No comm no service. They cheaped out and didnt bother:(

Incidently the phone number call in isnt caller ID which can be blocked, its ANI auto number ident, for 800 type calls. you cant block that.

The lease box mess is really sad, I figure someday when I want to sell my owned 522 its going to be a hassle:(

Churning programming like adding and dropping premiums also targets you forthe audit team, a admin at dbsforums got hung by that years ago, and still to this day has a freeze on his account, he has to go thru audit team.

he was lucky they turned off his programming and only thru a contact at E did it get restored.

the guy wasnt a thief he just liked changing packages a lot

Last edited:
I think they target those that have four or more receivers on an account. I can see where they are coming from with the calls for an audit but they should be more polite and allow you to sell receivers that they will not let you activate. Why dont they just automatically shut down additional receivers that are not hooked to a phoneline if you have four or more receivers instead of calling everyone and aggervating them? I would think that would be a better solution.

I do not think our rate would be lower if there was no piracy. Dish Network pays for each subscriber that subscribes to the service. Those that do not does not cost Dish Network to the provider so it does not cost them in that way. It costs them when they lose additional subscriptions. I wonder how bad the problem really is anyways.

Most people will never get a call from the audit department as they do not have four or more receivers connected. I think most have two receivers and some have three. Not very many have four or more receivers especially with the dual tuner receivers that there are now.

In addition to a solution by automatically shutting off receivers that do not dial in (at least those with four or more receivers in which their auditing now) they should perhaps have a new requirement to have dual tuner receivers on the account if you want four or more televisions. That would reduce the number of receivers to two or three but Dish would have to foot the bill for the receivers as the subscribers would not want to foot the bill. Dish could have the customer swap their receivers for the dual tuner receivers as a solution. Subscriber would even save some money on additional outlet fees if phonelines are hooked up.

The comm system would have been another good idea. Some people may put up two dishes instead of one and a switch with multiple outlets for multiple receivers. That would be a good start though. I think whenever they do dish upgrades and/or the MPEG-4 receiver swapout that they should do that on everyone's system if they want this problem to be resolved. If they ever get the wi-fi going they could use it as well to transmit a signal back to make sure that they are all in the same location.

As you can see there are other options other than making subscribers mad although they may be costly and Dish may not have much to gain if they had to do that to all the subscribers in which it would apply to do this for.

If they are going to make it a huge hassle to sell the boxes to subscribers then they should buy them back at market value or give you credit towards a new one or credit towards your programming as an option.

Update guys, i just spoke with the bigdog Jason Levine of Audit Dept.
apparently ther was a misunderstanding regarding my owned boxes
They CAN be sold, but only to new customers, What?
So my ex sub boxes cannot be added to an account as addtional ird?
that still dont make sense, seems rather selective

Sold only to new customers? That sounds crazy. Sounds like they want to save some money in that they do not want to pay the commissions to retailers as they would not qualify for any promotions or commissions and make sure that they are actually being used for non-hacking purposes. That is almost like admitting that something is going on when they tell you stuff like that.

I would email ceo@dishnetwork.com about this.

Stargazer said:
Sold only to new customers? That sounds crazy. Sounds like they want to save some money in that they do not want to pay the commissions to retailers as they would not qualify for any promotions or commissions and make sure that they are actually being used for non-hacking purposes. That is almost like admitting that something is going on when they tell you stuff like that.

I would email ceo@dishnetwork.com about this.
I thought the reason dual tuners were made the way the were to prevent hacking
if someone is intent on hacking why does it matter if there an existing customer or new customer.
it doesn't

I love how dish changes the rules everyday.
As if I recommend a new customer to Dish!

They just like to push my buttons, their doing a bang up job at that though

All I wanna do is get rid of their dual tuner junk, but their making it as difficult as humanly possible

Last edited:
Because they might be able to get into the cardless receivers now or afraid that the used receivers are going to be stacked on an account.

so now I'm supposed to sell to only dish virgin's on Ebay!
I would recommend you're lucky if you haven't heard of dishnetwork, keep it that way and stick with cable, or direct TV

If the boxes were added as additional ird, 5 dollars extra plus 6 dollar dvr fee and lets not forget the 5 dollar extra if no phone line

so if customer buys this and account stacks they must have a lengthy rg6 run to TV2

so for these dual tuners they would pay 16 dollars a month to account stack if they had the lengthy rg6 run

Dishnotwork must have a high percentage of inbreeding going on

who in their right mind is gonna run TV2 feed all over the neighborhood?

Once again dish proves they only care about New customers Existies don't mean sh*t

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
Because they might be able to get into the cardless receivers now or afraid that the used receivers are going to be stacked on an account.

huh?

Again, they are singling Stone out. I just sold 2 301's (and might have another one for sale) and all of them were owned in my name. Dish said I could sell them when I disconnected my account. One of my buyers e-mailed me letting me know there were no issues.

If you own the receivers, you have every gosh dern right to sell them. Why wouldn't he?

If someone wants to buy it to stack it on their account, thats their own issue. Not Stone's. He just wants to make back some money, and Dish is screwing with him.

stone phillips420 said:
i will call in on monday under assumed name to check status of irds
Maybe I didn't catch this when you reported it. What was the result when you called in anonymously with the R/S numbers? Would they activate or not?

mdonnelly said:
Maybe I didn't catch this when you reported it. What was the result when you called in anonymously with the R/S numbers? Would they activate or not?
havent done that yet will do by 5pm cst ill report back then

Just called asked for name i said no gave r00 and s00 from my 522 and they said they have no record of that box so its able to be added to existing says the advanced tech dept.

Last edited:
So they say you can only sell your 942 to a new customer, but they won't activate HD channels on a new customer 942. Brilliant!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts