Acutrac 22 or Acutrac 22 Pro

OkSatPro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Hi all,

I have been reasearching online about these but descided to come to you all for advice...

I have a Sat Buddy but I am considering the Acutrac 22 or Pro......

I have been with a Tech that uses both and prefers the Acutrac 22 over the Sat buddy.

Today we put them to a test and I was surprised to see the Acutrac 22 actually was easier to fine tune than was the Sat Buddy.

NOTE: The Sat Buddy got the job done, but even after we got solid tone on the SB and after we got the best we could get with the SB we then used the Acutrac 22 and got a little more fine tunning out of it and higher signal strengths.

Ok, to my question, it is for those that have and use the Acutrac 22 and or Acutrac 22 Pro.

2 questions

First Q;

What does the Pro do that the other doesnt?

ALso, do either of these meters have a tone with them....

It seems to me that the Pro version might based on what I found on the interent but I wanted to make sure as I am wanting to buy one to try it out....

Any thoughts or help is appreciated.

Mark

As a former Sat Buddy and now Acutrac 22 Pro user I do have to say I like the Acutrac much better. The dual satellite display is nice...especially for peaking the SD's or D1000's. As far as the tone...I'm not a big fan of that. The Sat Buddy does a better job. But as you already stated, I've found the display to be friendlier for peaking out a dish.

boba said:
The pro does have a tone, battery life is a big dissappointment

That is the understatement of the year. I bought the pro because of the DP and Superdish capabilities mentioned on the sell sheet. I rarely use the 2nd output, since that kills the battery very quickly, and I prefer to get the dish lined up before doing everything else. I use a DP Dual for peaking. DPP is impossible with this thing.

The main difference between the Acutrac22 and the Acutrac22Pro is as follows:

Acutrac22Pro has a built in battery pack, which allows you to use the meter without hooking it up to the receiver. So it is self powered.

The Accutrac22 does not have a built in batery. So you will have to rely on the receiver to supply the power, or you will have to buy a battery pack separately for it.

chadzx11 said:
I use a DP Dual for peaking. DPP is impossible with this thing.

DPP draws a lot of power (~ 500 mA). None of the meters (i.e. SatHawk3000, BIRDOG, or accutrac22Pro) is able to provide this power. So as an installer, always be ready by having an extra DP Twin or Dual LNBF for aligning and peaking the dish. Once the dish is peaked, swap the LNBF with the DPP.

Dpp draws to much power

Are you meaning it draws to much power to use the battery pack or to much power to use when being powered by reciever also?

From what I understand, you CAN use most meters on a DPP Twin IF it's being powered by a receiver. But c'mon...if you're already at that stage of your install then you may as well just use a DP Dual or DP Twin as a "temp" to aim the dish and simply swap in your DPP Twin after it's all said and done.

webbydude said:
From what I understand, you CAN use most meters on a DPP Twin IF it's being powered by a receiver. But c'mon...if you're already at that stage of your install then you may as well just use a DP Dual or DP Twin as a "temp" to aim the dish and simply swap in your DPP Twin after it's all said and done.

That's what I do, but I aim it right after I set it on the mast. That $30 battery pack is crap, IMO. They should have made it replaceable, like on the old 22's. Of course, those batteries were crap, too, but at least you could get rid of them to save weight when they died.

The speaker in mine is loose, I need to take it apart and reglue it. It bugs me when I have it on my hip.

Also, my meter pegs way to easy on the DPP. I'll attenuate it, it'll peg again, but the signal in the house will be 50 or so. DP duals work nice, my second choice would be a legacy dual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts