Dish stock down 22% today as I type

From Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen Admits Company Must Walk “A Narrow Path” Toward Financial Stability; DirecTV Merger Pursuit Is Paused As Stock Crashes To 25-Year Low
With its shares in free fall after a dismal third-quarter earnings report, Dish Networkexecutives faced the music with Wall Street, conceding in an earnings call that they face an array of intensifying challenges.

“We have a narrow path, but there is a path, to achieve financial stability and make sure we meet our commitments,” Chairman Charlie Ergen said. “Having been through this for a long time, we’ve had narrow paths before.”

The company’s shares plunged more than 37% on more than eight times normal trading volume to finish the day at $3.44. It was the stock’s biggest single-day drop in the nearly three decades since it began trading and its lowest closing price in 25 years.

See that Charlie was able to make Boost happen implies there was a plan all along. No one would have thought 10 or 15 years ago, Dish would have a mobile service that was the "fourth largest" in the nation***.

The issue for him is capital. The rollout has been incredible to this point, but they are running out of money, and interest rates returning back to normal means the free lunch is gone. Boost in theory is worth a lot, with the spectrum, so there is always a merger or sale possible. He is so close to making this happen. I wouldn't bet against him, but he needs a sugar daddy to get over the line.
Way I see it, it's Karma. Instead of building a loyal base of DBS customers and their servicing dealers, he decided to use his duopoly company to wring as much money out of subscribers as possible as quickly as possible without regard for any longer-term sustainability as far as maintaining high satisfaction and remaining a sought-after service. Running DiSH the right way instead of the greedy way would have had him overtaking and maintaining a lead on DTV, providing for plenty of base upon which to build for the eventual phasedown of DBS. With his spectrum-buying and mobile gambit, he's trying to do that even though he hasn't really earned his way there for it.

Still, he’s wealthier than any of us. Maybe all of us put together.
Wasn't hoping he'd become a pauper or get thrown in prison. Just that some of what he sent out would come back to him.

1699404123635.png

Way I see it, it's Karma. Instead of building a loyal base of DBS customers and their servicing dealers, he decided to use his duopoly company to wring as much money out of subscribers as possible as quickly as possible without regard for any longer-term sustainability as far as maintaining high satisfaction and remaining a sought-after service. Running DiSH the right way instead of the greedy way would have had him overtaking and maintaining a lead on DTV, providing for plenty of base upon which to build for the eventual phasedown of DBS. With his spectrum-buying and mobile gambit, he's trying to do that even though he hasn't really earned his way there for it.
I feel that Dish has provided me the cheapest possible cable/sat option for over a decade.

But the fact remains that satellite TV is in decline and not expected to be around by the end of this decade if not sooner.
Dish Network started its decline after they cancelled the Charlie Chat.;)
I think it's safe to say the Hopper will end at 3.
It’s because we got one. The Hopper 3 will join our list of dead-end consumer goods like our Eagle Vision, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Pontiac G6, and Mercury Milan.

This is only about the stock from a well regarded financial advisor-David Moadel serves as the Chief Analyst and Opportunity Researcher for Portfolio Wealth Global

Dish Network is basically a dinosaur that’s in peril of becoming extinct unless the company drastically changes its business model.

Even before yesterday’s trash-tastic earnings report, there were signs that all was not well with Dish Network.

Along with high borrowing rates, Rollins cited an “ongoing expectation that Dish needs more than $7B of incremental capital through 2025 to fund its network investments and upcoming debt maturities.” That’s a deep financial hole that Dish Network will have to dig itself out of, and higher-for-longer interest rates won’t make it any easier.

I didn’t see any signs of Dish Network attempting to reinvent itself, however. The only things I see are that the company is losing subscribers through an asset sale, suddenly switching out its CEO, and devolving from income-positive to income-negative. So, in case I didn’t make it crystal clear already, I absolutely do not believe that anyone should consider DISH stock.

It’s because we got one. The Hopper 3 will join our list of dead-end consumer goods like our Eagle Vision, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Pontiac G6, and Mercury Milan.
I'd say the Hopper 3 is hard to beat.

Reactions: charlesrshell
What's the DiSH-Disney deal I'm hearing about?
Huh? I have only heard rumblings of a DISH Amazon deal.

Amazon is launching their own internet via Satellite, if they had DISH's ground spectrum it would push them to be one of the largest carrier.

But so far their deal with Amazon with Boost isn't doing anything. No one is buying.

And DISH's network while all 5G is still the slowest 5G network out there as they just pushed to get them out there to meet FCC deadlines, but the network has not been touched or optimized. DISH's 5G speed could blow everyone away since they are only 5G (No support for 2G,3G LTE etc.) but they have not concentrated there yet, and I feel that is a mistake. Verizon use to be the best and fastest and now their Network has turned to junk, it would be great if they fixed things and said, you want the best and fastest service, come to DISH. If people knew it was quality like Verizon use to be, people would pay for it if they knew it was as good as advertised.

All collectables today. Now if you had mentioned the Yugo,,,,,,,,,! o_O

Huh? I have only heard rumblings of a DISH Amazon deal.

Amazon is launching their own internet via Satellite, if they had DISH's ground spectrum it would push them to be one of the largest carrier.
If Amazon ( or anyone else) wants the spectrum, they seem content to wait for Bankruptcy.

With all the financial information I get via email newsletters, there has not even been a whisper in any of them that Dish has been approached about acquiring any of it.

Even if so, Ergen might be wanting too much $$$$ and companies feel content in waiting, knowing the financial outlook for Dish.
But so far their deal with Amazon with Boost isn't doing anything. No one is buying.
Boost has been long considered one of the other brands, same as Tracfone, Metro, Cricket, Consumer, etc.

It is hard to break out from there.
it would be great if they fixed things and said, you want the best and fastest service, come to DISH. If people knew it was quality like Verizon use to be, people would pay for it if they knew it was as good as advertised.
All Cell Phone Companies say that, for that to work, need word of mouth, so they need sales.

Basically they need to totally overhaul their marketing to get those sales, which will take even more $$$$$.

Last edited:
Boost has been long considered one of the other brands, same as Tracfone, Metro, Cricket, Consumer, etc.

There are just so many of these MVNOs now. Every cable co. is offering a phone, Visible, I'm with Google Fi.

I think 5G home would be a good use of the spectrum in the interim and get some much needed cash flow in, but I don't see much of an effort to get something like that out.

There are just so many of these MVNOs now. Every cable co. is offering a phone, Visible, I'm with Google Fi.
And that is Boost’s problem.
I think 5G home would be a good use of the spectrum in the interim and get some much needed cash flow in, but I don't see much of an effort to get something like that out.
As Scott posted, the speed and maybe range is just not up for it, also would take billions more to do, those modems would not build themselves, then marketing, then even more years to have enough customers to be profitable.

It has taken years for T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T to ramp up their service, Dish has till spring until the first 3 Billion in debt is due.

The other problem is the cell phone decision is losing money also, which would impact any 5G plans-

With a $106 million EBITDA loss for its Boost wireless business, as well as $299 million in EBITDA red ink for its new 5G unit, Dish is now on pace to lose $1.6 billion on its wireless business this year.

Still, he’s wealthier than any of us. Maybe all of us put together.
But that doesn't make him smarter then everyone else and I don't equate lots of money with being smarter. He was just at the right place at the right time in the past to make DISH become what it was. Now he is in the wrong place and the wrong time. His future looks like his company's bankruptcy to me unless he changes what he is doing. :rolleyes: