Dish stock down 22% today as I type

garyreno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio
Wondering if the latest couple software updates that break more than they fix has any thing to do with this?

Wondering if the latest couple software updates that break more than they fix has any thing to do with this?
Unless Dish was totally knocked out by an update, Wall St. would not even care.
Nope.

Two things, their earnings report and news that the President and CEO Erik Carlson is leaving the company.
First quarter they have been unprofitable in a long time.

Next quarter should be better, with the price increase ( which was not in the 3rd Quarter), depending on how many subs they lose, should be profitable again.

First Quarter next year is always the worst, so that is the wild card.

They need capital, no question, but as I said before , if they did not have the 5G Albatross,
we would be talking about the impending Dish buy out of DirecTV right now.

Unless Dish was totally knocked out by an update, Wall St. would not even care.

First quarter they have been unprofitable in a long time.

Next quarter should be better, with the price increase ( which was not in the 3rd Quarter), depending on how many subs they lose, should be profitable again.

First Quarter next year is always the worst, so that is the wild card.

They need capital, no question, but as I said before , if they did not have the 5G Albatross,
we would be talking about the impending Dish buy out of DirecTV right now.
Well other then that's been rejected twice and satellite is fading fast I see no reason why Charlie would spend billions on another blockbuster type deal

No matter what their stock price will end up today, this is the one thing you do not say after a unprofitable earnings report-

"We're failing fast and we're learning," added Dish founder Charlie Ergen during Dish's quarterly earnings call.

Ugly

If they do not turn things around soon, and find billions in investor funds, bankrupcy will be next.
How long do you think?

Read this-

With a $106 million EBITDA loss for its Boost wireless business, as well as $299 million in EBITDA red ink for its new 5G unit, Dish is now on pace to lose $1.6 billion on its wireless business this year.

If they did not have those two things, I wonder how things would be right now, all that money spent on the 5G thing, which they never really seem to have a plan for.

When they started hoarding spectrum, Boost was not even in the picture at the time, so what was the plan then?

How long do you think?

Read this-

With a $106 million EBITDA loss for its Boost wireless business, as well as $299 million in EBITDA red ink for its new 5G unit, Dish is now on pace to lose $1.6 billion on its wireless business this year.

If they did not have those two things, I wonder how things would be right now, all that money spent on the 5G thing, which they never really seem to have a plan for.

When they started hoarding spectrum, Boost was not even in the picture at the time, so what was the plan then?
See that Charlie was able to make Boost happen implies there was a plan all along. No one would have thought 10 or 15 years ago, Dish would have a mobile service that was the "fourth largest" in the nation***.

The issue for him is capital. The rollout has been incredible to this point, but they are running out of money, and interest rates returning back to normal means the free lunch is gone. Boost in theory is worth a lot, with the spectrum, so there is always a merger or sale possible. He is so close to making this happen. I wouldn't bet against him, but he needs a sugar daddy to get over the line.

See that Charlie was able to make Boost happen implies there was a plan all along. No one would have thought 10 or 15 years ago, Dish would have a mobile service that was the "fourth largest" in the nation***.
That has lost 1.5 Million subs since he took over, including 225,000 in the third quarter just reported, one of the reasons the stock tanked yesterday ( doing a little better today).
I wouldn't bet against him, but he needs a sugar daddy to get over the line.
There are a few issues, no one wants to invest in a company like this.

Charlie has the reputation of not playing well with others, which makes a merger a little tougher to pull off, unless he gives up control.

Lastly, because of the above, those who might want the spectrum, would rather wait until a possible bankruptcy, then pick up the bits and pieces they can, possibly at a discount.

Last edited:

The issue for him is capital. The rollout has been incredible to this point, but they are running out of money, and interest rates returning back to normal means the free lunch is gone. Boost in theory is worth a lot, with the spectrum, so there is always a merger or sale possible. He is so close to making this happen. I wouldn't bet against him, but he needs a sugar daddy to get over the line.
He bought bargain basement spectrum that nobody wants to pay a premium for

Reactions: charlesrshell
He got the blame even though cord cutting is to blame. But he didn't do anything to address the high costs associated with DISH. They could of removed the additional receiver fees if you bought them or paid enough $5.00 fees till the cost was met and then you own them and no fees. They could of reduced the $15.00 DVR fee to say a manageable $5.00 a month. It would make the customers feel like the service was more affordable.

But the fact remains that satellite TV is in decline and not expected to be around by the end of this decade if not sooner. It is older technology and with all the broadband lines being expanded across the country and companies getting into home internet, like T-Mobile, the future will be streaming. Maybe they should work on merging Sling TV and DISH into one service and migrate everyone to streaming like Directv is doing. They could keep the interface that DISH has like guides menus etc and make it work like Sling. Maybe Sling TV by DISH. That way you keep the cheaper service prices and add the packs you want. There has to be a way to accomplish this and transition out of Satellite and to streaming only.

Maybe they should work on merging Sling TV and DISH into one service and migrate everyone to streaming like Directv is doing. They could keep the interface that DISH has like guides menus etc and make it work like Sling.
I wish I could say more, but that is not what is happening.