Additional Receivers zero down monthly fee

VidVin

Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
I received a call back from the Voom order confirmation team and was told that my first receiver is $9.50/month additional receivers are $14.90/month with the current zero down offer. This is very confusing because the "Customer Agreement" (the link is at the bottom right of each page at voom.com) clearly states that "Additional Receivers" have a "reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver added to your account." I spoke to 3 different people at Voom and got 3 different answers. Their Customer Agreement couldn't be more clear regarding "Additional Receivers". I was finally told to write a letter to Cablevision Systems Crop in Bethpage, NY. I think I've heard enough of their weasel dance answers and I can certainly read the Customer Agreement which clearly states "reduced monthly fee". Anyone else curious about this discrepancy with their Customer Agreement?

Right from the current Customer Agreement:
1.(f) Additional Receivers. To independently tune additional televisions within your home, a separate receiver is required for each television. We will allow you to place up to five (5) additional receivers on your account. Each additional receiver would be authorized to receive the same VOOM Services as your initial receiver. We will charge you a reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver added to your account. This option is only available if your initial receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to the same telephone line. If you desire to receive VOOM Service at two different locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing VOOM Services for multiple receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to the same phone line.

You ARE paying a reduced fee, you are only paying $5 for the programing but you also must pay $9.50 each receiver to lease the receiver. Total for each additional receiver is $9.50 lease + $5.00 programing = $14.40

Wrong.

Read the Agreement, the section heading is "Additional Receivers", it is not about programming. Also, look at your math, $14.40/month for an additional receiver is *more* than the $9.50/month for the first. The Agreement in this section doesn't discriminate programming vs. rental fee. It clearly states in plain English the following: "We will charge you a reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver added to your account." This is in the "Additional Receivers" section and *NOT* in programming, it can only be interpreted as having to do with "Additional Recievers" *NOT* additional programming. Also, I was told subsequently that this $5/month is a "mirror fee" and it's only charged when you have additional recievers, so if you have 1 reciever the "mirror fee" is ZERO. So how is $5/month (2 recievers) less than ZERO/month for the "mirror fee"??? The fees you're attempting to compare are not the same fees, so therefore can't be compared. I just go back to the plain English wording in the Customer Agreement which only uses the qualifier "monthly" with respect to the "fee" in question. But it does specifically state what the fee is "FOR"; take a close look at the wording in the sentence, the operative word is "for"; it says "a reduced monthly fee *FOR* each additional receiver". Note that it does NOT say "a reduced monthly fee FOR additional programming associated with each additional receiver". The fee in question is for the reviecer and not for the programming, this is clear.

Ask yourself what would an arbitrator conclude? There is a dispute resolution clause in the Agreement.

This section in question is about Additional Recievers and the monthly fees associated with them, my interpretation of the Agreement is one of plain English and Voom should honor their Agreement and charge customers a "reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver".

Quit being a dope...that is a reduced fee. You are being charged, at minimum for one rental box, $39.90+$9.50=$49.40. The second box is $5.00+$9.50=$14.40 Which is less. You can't rent a box without paying for the programming. Even if you owned both boxes it would be less, they give you a reduced purchase price and reduced programming cost. Go ahead and waste your money on fighting it, if you want, but you will likely not win the arbitration.

Why the name calling?

It says "a reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver". It's supposed to be *FOR* the receiver, not FOR programming, read it again.

Section 1(b) talks about "Programming". Section 1(f) talks about "Additional Receivers". These are two different sections. Also, Section 1(f) says you're entitled to the "same VOOM Services as your initial receiver", it doesn't mention an additional programming fee in that sentence, it just says you get it on your additional receivers. This paragraph is about Additional Reveivers, and the monthly fee mentioned is clearly tied to the receiver: "a reduced monthly fee for each additional receiver". Do you not see the the word "for" in that phrase? It doesn't say "for programming" does it?

It seems you're backwards engineering your logic to fit the Agreement, try to take a simple, plain English look at what is actually written.