Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My hunting ended yesterday when I got a call from the display ad I placed in the small newspaper I own. Asking if anyone wanted to clean up their yard for spring and have their old sat dish removed. I listed all the good name brands I could think of, and said it had to have a motor arm and be in good condition. A gent called me and said he had a Sami - so I went and looked at it. Pretty sure its a 7.5'-er. Great thing is... he removed it from the pole when he bought the house about 10 years ago... has been propped against a shed ever since. Jus a few dings on her - complete with a motor-arm that I hope still works. Gotta get my neighbor that has a large flatbed truck and go get her. Put up a pole and see what she can do. He said he had a receiver inside, forgot to ask to look at it.

I purchased a nice ADL C/Ku feed with Astrotel LNB's from Linuxman that I will install. I think the stock Sami LNB is C band only. I only saw one probe when I peeked in the feedhorn.

Will follow up with pics when I get her home.

Nate

no kidding!

I listed all the good name brands I could think of, and said it had to have a motor arm and be in good condition.

Gotta get my neighbor that has a large flatbed truck and go get her.
Put up a pole and see what she can do.
He said he had a receiver inside, forgot to ask to look at it.
While there's nothing wrong with taking any BUD you can find....
Might be great for parts of all sorts...
... there's also nothing wrong with going after what you want!
We'll just call it: selective harvesting ! :)

I too have learned by reading the forum, which dishes I prefer.
So, my hat's off to ya if you got something from your list! - :D

As you can see in the threads (linked in my sig) where I picked up my dishes, I like flat bed trucks! - :up
So, another two points for ya!

Since poles cost a lot, I'd try to chop off whatever is on site and haul it away.
But, that's a personal choice.

As for receivers, they are there for the taking.
If you can't use it, give it to a newbie! Make a friend.

Sounds like you had a great day.
We'll be looking forward to some pictures as you get to it!

My first Birdview find!

A friend told me his brother has a old dish from their dads place, where he lives. I called him & asked about the system. The receiver is a GI 650, which I assume is analog? He walked out to the dish & said, it says "Birdview". I calmly asked about how the dish moved & he explained it was the rod type motor. He says there are 6 support arms holding the LNB & it is still operational. I will post the pictures he is emailing me this afternoon. Do I need another dish? NO! Will I drive 60 miles to pick up this one for a few bucks? Heck yeah!

I stand corrected on the Birdview, it has a H2H!

I just received the pictures & this thing looks kinda nice. Input please?

Attachments

• Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 327 copy.jpg
    Picture 327 copy.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 161
Don't tell RV1pop! :)

I just received the pictures & this thing looks kinda nice. Input please?
Sixty miles, huh?
If ya don't want to mess with it, make sure it goes to a good home! - :rolleyes:
No question Pop would be happy to haul it home! - :up

As for getting it, refurbishing it, and running it, there's no shortage of info on the forum.
I'd say if it has a GI-650 analog receiver with it, the thing has been converted with an 8-magnet wheel, and a modern feedhorn.
So, chances are, it'll run on C-band right out of the box.
But, that's just a guess, and I'd do the full-up conversion anyhow. :)

Congratulations! - :up

Congrats on the BV! Its sad I know where one is 3 miles from me at that darn closed radio station, but I can't find the contact info of the property owner in North Carolina - so I will be happy with the lil Sami, which by the specs is a good lil performer. I had hoped for a 10'-er - but beggars can't be choosers sometimes.

Def get the Bird... even if you just store it for now - least she will be there when you need her.

Lucky!!!

My luck jus keeps gettin' better. Free Sami dish - great deal on the ADL feed + LNBs... So I went searching for a Moto DSR-922 this morning and scored an almost new receiver w/remote for $75 shipped to me... can't ask for better - less it was free!!!

Now to find me a HDD-200 for a decent price, that way I can upscale the 4DTV to at least 480p or 1080i if the chipset is decent enough for viewing on my 48" Mitsu big screen.

Nate

. . . uhhhhhhh . . .
If you want to get HD, then fine.
But there have been negative comments on the forum about using the '200 strictly as an upscaler.
Do a search and see what you find.

Otherwise, I'd say your luck is lookin' real good! - :up

Oh well, so much for that... I will search for posts... kinda figured GI/Moto wouldn't use the best chipset for upscaler. If the quality of the standard 480i is truly broadcast quality, and I get a great signal... my Mitsu with its CRTs should handle the job jus fine.

Nate

congrats No Doubt you have found the Grail! Good luck on getting it replanted at your house! The GI650 is a nice c/ku analog box, I have one. Good sensitivity and easy to set up and use.

Would this dish fit in your back yard? This is an USAF EV-1 antenna at Ramstein AFB, Germany. It is the primary source of communication with commercial satellites. Let's salute and pray for our Armed Forces men and women around the world securing our freedom.

Attachments

• 080229-F-5032D-101.jpg
    080229-F-5032D-101.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 130
My sister called and said she has a dish laying next to her house, and for me to get it out of there. Anybody seen one like this and have a clue what it might be? :confused:

Attachments

• Sat Jan Dish.jpg
    Sat Jan Dish.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 190
phlat that one is different, I'd be making a trip over there just to see what it is.... haha.
Grab it if it looks like a working dish.

phlat that one is different, I'd be making a trip over there just to see what it is.... haha.
Grab it if it looks like a working dish.

I called her when I got the pic and asked her what the dish was setting on.....she said that that big black bucket/cover is actually attached to it! :eek:

It looks to be about 4'-5' in diameter and she thought they quit using it about 3 years ago.

Consider it grabbed!!! :D

These dang Birdy's just keep haunting me every where I go. Found another solid one today.

Attachments

• DSC08939.JPG
    DSC08939.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC08940.JPG
    DSC08940.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 148
haunting?

Osu - well then, just haul one of those ghosts home with ya! :rolleyes:
That one appears to be totally stock.
The LNB is original (and useless).
So, you'll need all the mods.
I think it's well worth the effort.
But, if you don't pick it up, please make it available to another happy forum member. - :up

I am trying to get one home. They are mostly about 60 miles one way and i can't get a hold of anyone at 3 of the locations. 3 are in the yard of a former dealer and he won't let them go. This one is about 40 miles away and I left a card on the door inquiring about it. Getting ready to buy a new house and it has a beautiful view of the southern sky and room for about 4 big dishes and several little dishes.:hungry:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)