Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
impressive:

Beano - that's a hell of a haul!
Congratulations on getting a ten-foot dish home in one piece... in a pickup truck!
And that bedframe sized mount is quite a looker, too! - :eek:

thx,
I've never seen another one like it... in person, or on the net...

i have a line on one. but havent seen many with so many ribs and the intermediate support. i got in tight with a old cband dish installer. i may have spare parts for that dish soon beano. i have tons of actuators and scalars/lbns and such already. i think i scored 8 BUDs so far this summer. and a few more to go. if i get a 12 footer i am stopping to have a break and actually watch tv. the 1m channel master score took up some of my time but i might have spare parts for them too. how many of them dishes free for the taking. its a feeding frenzy and im the only fish out here. haha. i love it.

crackt out,.

**NEW FIND** w/ pics

Originally post http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...tures-dish-hunting-2009-a-32.html#post1910523

Turns out the gears and bearings in the mount were shot. The motor works very well, if anyone is interested in it let me know. It is a SuperJack model # QBRL-3024. Pics of the motor can be found at the link above. Just pay s+h and its yours.

The new find:
8ft paraclipse w/ h-h mount
calamp w/ chapparel horn
...And everything works!

Please comment if you can tell me anything about this dish/lnb(f)/mount.

Should I stick with that lnb and feedhorn or use the bcs621 I have? From the posts I have read 103W will be an issue with skew. I already have an anlog receiver that can control the servo motor.

Is that calamp lnb both C and Ku? It is not labeled and my searches are say it is, but there is only one output :confused:

Attachments

• DSC00974.JPG
    DSC00974.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00975.JPG
    DSC00975.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00978.JPG
    DSC00978.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 171
The dish is a Paraclipse Hydro.
Here's a sad story of another Hydro that got away.
Just something I learned by reading the forum! - :up

The motor looks to be an AJAK .
There were at least three models, I think you have the 180.
(search for plenty of info on 'em)

You have only a C-band LNB.
That feedhorn doesn't appear to have a place for a Ku LNB.

Last edited:
Those old Slimline II's are good LNB's. I have one on a 7.5 ft stationary BUD for AMC 8. If you have a way to control skew (and I just read above that you do) you can use the Slimline, but you won't have KU unless you use the 621.

I saw this Birdview dish on the way to my son's father-in-law ranch in south Texas. The house is vacant and there is nothing but farm land around the place. I couldn't get any info on the owner of the property and I'm not going to try to get the dish for myself. Thought I'd post pictures and location for anyone interested. Looks like a great dish, just wasting. It is located on FM140 (The road that goes between Pearsall & Uvalde) and is approximately 10 miles north of Hwy 57. You can't miss it because it is right up close to the highway. I thought of GaryZ, but I would think that someone in South Texas might be interested in this one. Sorry I didn't get a chance to try to find the owner. I'll be away from internet access off and on for the next couple of months, but will check this post when I can to see if someone needs more info on the location.

Attachments

• Birdview email.jpg
    Birdview email.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Birdview email (2).jpg
    Birdview email (2).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Birdview email (3).jpg
    Birdview email (3).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 127
  • Birdview email (4).jpg
    Birdview email (4).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 153
severe sadness has fallen across the land :(

ON our way up to the cabin to do some "winter things" like bring in the dock, the hoses, the pontoon, cut the grass for last time etc as we drove up I was on the lookout for dishes

Got by the reservation and and drove by where one dish is ONLY TO SEE IT GONE!! Just the pole is there :(

Then got to the cabin and drove by the house for sale where nobody has been home and the house sold and I'm assuming the guy took the dishes with him. There were 3 HUGE holes in the ground so I'm assuming he took the concrete with him.

I hope all 4 have a good home

I found this one near the city. It's in a lot that used to have a Chinese Buffet. That building is gone now and only the dish remains. It's about 8.5' and is steel. No markings on the dish, that I could see. I'm looking for a 6 footer, but might make a go at this one.

Attachments

• gbox.jpg
    gbox.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 158
  • gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 189
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 198
  • bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 209
I found this one near the city. It's in a lot that used to have a Chinese Buffet. That building is gone now and only the dish remains. It's about 8.5' and is steel. No markings on the dish, that I could see. I'm looking for a 6 footer, but might make a go at this one.

Now that looks like a DH. You better grab that one...because someone might slap you on the head and you might say...

"Wow, I could've had a DH" :)

thats a beautiful dish. i have 2 spun and they work awesome. i wish i could have that dish. haha.

crackt out,.

H-H included for the price:

It's about 8.5' and is steel.
No markings on the dish, that I could see.
I'm looking for a 6 footer, but might make a go at this one.
OMG! - :eek: - It's got a horizon-to-horizon motor/mount on it!
Why would you NOT grab this beauty?

As for DH or not, I can't guess. Here's their web site.

OMG! - :eek: - It's got a horizon-to-horizon motor/mount on it!
Why would you NOT grab this beauty?

As for DH or not, I can't guess. Here's their web site.

I have no room for an 8.5 footer, but yes, the mount alone is worth it. I need to happen by during working hours and see if the contractors can tell me what the future of this beast might be.

10' Bird Bath

Here is one that is being offered to me. I'm probably going to pass on it. I'm really looking for a 6 footer.

But with these fiberglass dishes I started wondering;
Can a 10' or 8' be cut down to be 6'?
If so, does the focal length change?
The glass on these things are as thick as my '76 Searay (not really) so I don't see the lack of a lip being a problem (to maintain rigidity).

Just a thought. I don't mind tinkering.

Attachments

• frnt.jpg
    frnt.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 135
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 112
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 135
take me out and shoot me:

Ya won't take the DH with H-H motor, and now you want to trim down a fiberglass?

You have great luck in finding dishes.
Make room for one of those beauties at home! - :rolleyes:

The edge of a dish adds stiffness to it. The fiberglass one has a wide rim.
Cutting that off would probably compromise its stiffness.
That said, the gurus with decades of fiberglass experience, comment that many of the really old one already sag somewhat.

As to technical discussion, the focal length would stay the same, but the F/D would change drastically.
You'd need to move the scalar closer to the dish, without moving the feedhorn.
Or in a worst case, you might want to replace the flat scalar with a conical unit.

And please..... find someone with the good sense to haul that DH & H-H home.
I want to see a happy ending to that story! :cool:

Ya won't take the DH with H-H motor, and now you want to trim down a fiberglass?

And please..... find someone with the good sense to haul that DH & H-H home.
I want to see a happy ending to that story! :cool:

I'm still trying o track down someone who is authorized to let me take it. It is on a mini-mall tract of land. They are expanding a supermarket, so I'm sure it has to go. I'm hoping it doesn't get scrapped before I find the one with authority. I only have room for a 6 footer though. Maybe if someone near St Louis would want to trade..(linuxman)...............

On my way to see the fiberglass one above, I drove through a not-so-nice part of the city near where I used to live. I saw at least two BUDs (mesh, glass) in what used to be a Sat sales lot but is now an auto repair joint. I remember seeing a 6' dish-billboard there years ago. I'll take pictures of them if I pass it again, but I doubt anyone there would let them go for free.

That said, the gurus with decades of fiberglass experience, comment that many of the really old one already sag somewhat.

As to technical discussion, the focal length would stay the same, but the F/D would change drastically.

I've read about the sag issue. I'm just being offered so many of them, it got me thinking. I was only considering the glass dishes for mounting, motors, etc...

BTW I did a 'wanted' post on craigslist and got a hell of a response. One guy has a 14' fiberglass one that he was going to use as a garden pond. lol Three more to look at.....kinda fun.:)

Got a phone call this morning from a guy who was sent to me by my buddy at Skywalker. He said he had a dish he wanted removed and could I do it? I told him that I would come down and take a look.

I got there, and we walked around back and there was a "Spoon" off-set Birdview. :)

After some measurements, and some pictures, I told him my price for removal, and he and his wife agreed to pay me, so I told them I would call some time next week and set a time to come and get it.

I am thinking about perhaps setting it up as a KU only dish like my Prodelin. I will have to get it home, and turn it 90 degrees from the way it is setup now, but I think it might be possible.

Here are the pics, and you guys let me know if you think it would work as a stationary Ku dish.

bv-spoon-front1.jpg bv-spoon-front2.jpg bv-spoon-front3.jpg bv-spoon-rear1.jpg bv-spoon-rear2.jpg

BTW, if you aren't out there hunting dishes, the season is now officially open.

The leaves are off, and they are much easier to see, so get out there and find something. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts