AL Central Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great analysis HD. I just wanted to say that I don't think the Tigers will miss Guillen or Ordonez who were both great players in their prime, but they got old the past couple seasons and their injuries are now a factor. As for Zumaya...he has been a non-factor the past three seasons due to injuries. We would love to have him back to throwing like he did in his rookie season...however, that ship has long since sailed. Which brings me to Brad "Boat Anchor" Penny. I'm sorry, but the not-very-shiny-or-new Penny was a guaranteed win each and every time he pitched last season...for the other team!

AL Central: Predicted order of finish and team overview's:

1. Tigers- Best all around team in the division. Best pitcher, best closer, best big stick. If healthy, this is the team to beat. The addition of Prince Fielder will mask the loss of V-Mart. The team's only weakness is on defense. There's A LOT of weight and immobile players manning the infield. In a close game or down the stretch, this could come into play, big time. Key subtractions include: 2B Carlos Guillen, RF Magglio Ordonez, RHP Brad Penny and RHP Joel Zumaya.

2. Indians- The only major player lost this year is Fausto Carmona who is stuck in the Dominican Republic for using a false ID. When that issue get's resolved is still unknown. Key acquisitions include 1B Casey Kotchman and P Derek Lowe. Management resigned a slew of players to avoid arbitration and should be motivated for huge years in anticipation for a longer tenured future contract. This team hopes to overcome the injury bug this year (I'm talking to you Grady Sizemore and the rest of our outfield!). Expecting a BIG year from RF Sin Soo Choo and 2B Jason Kipnis. Defensively, this team is the best in the division. Hands down. The Indians should have another solid starting staff and bullpen. Offensively, they're still near the bottom.

3. Royals- Youngest team in the league. They'll miss the loss of CF Melky Cabrera. Their strength is on offense and their weakness is still their starting pitching staff.

4. Twins- Can Mauer and Morneau stay healthy? If so, they should help rebound the 2nd lowest scoring offense in the AL last year. But that's a big if. Key losses include: RHP Joe Nathan, RHP Kevin Slowey, OF Michael Cuddyer, OF Jason Kubel,

5. White Sox- Rookie manager & a team on the verge of a full rebuild doesn't bode well for this team. Key losses include P Mark Buehrle and closer Sergio Santos. Offensively, this team is the pits.

Yep but Andrew Oliver is looking good. I think the 5th spot in the rotation was going to one of them depending on spring training. I think Oliver has shown that he deserves the first chance. I think we will see Turner get another shot in the majors before this season is over though.

I agree, also expect both of them to pitch, Duane Below as well.

Nice to see Oliver pitching well, lets hope he can do it in front of the Big Lights, he struggled mightily last year.

In other news, Tigers released Pauley today/yesterday. (he was part of the Fister deal.)

Riffjim,
I have mostly read the papers, haven't had any luck catching them on the radio, the last few times they said they were on the radio, I could not get them and I have yet to see them on TV.

King has a pretty good handle on it from what I've read.

As for Cabrera at 3b, the problem has been he has had very little work in actual games, I think he'll do fine as he's handled whats been hit his way, but when your only playing a few innings each day your not getting LIVE practice, then I'm sure he goes to another field and takes plenty of balls hit his way.

They say he has soft hands and a strong arm.

I personally thought he was turning into quite a good defensive 1b had they left him there.

As for Inge, he's played 2b great, the issue is, will HE HIT, enough to have the job.
Raburn never hits in the first half of the season, so that should help INGE, however, for some reason Raburn IS HITTING this spring, very well mind you.
IF Raburn is still hitting when the season opens, I would start Raburn at 2b.

I HATE his Defense ANYWHERE in the field.... he'll make to GREAT, sometimes Lucky plays and then invariably botch plays that anyone should make, doesn't matter what position.

Btw, for all the talk about Fielder and how HUGE he is, he's said to be a pretty good 1b, we'll see.

For any of you who haven't gotten a chance to see any spring training games so far this year they are on ESPN at 1:05 against the Mets today. Scherzer is the starting pitcher. I know it's a little last minute for people to set the DVRs before work but I plan on catching a couple innings during my lunch break.

For any of you who haven't gotten a chance to see any spring training games so far this year they are on ESPN at 1:05 against the Mets today. Scherzer is the starting pitcher. I know it's a little last minute for people to set the DVRs before work but I plan on catching a couple innings during my lunch break.

I remembered this about 1:15 today and used the Smart Phone to set my Recording...

Me too. I will be there bright and early tailgating if any of you are heading to the game.

Interesting ... the Tigers open on a Thursday to start the season (as do others), instead of the Traditional Monday and since, Sunday night for ESPN.

Do the Tigers have the potential to start the season 35-5 this season? Well, if they can finally get some consistency (the good type) from their 3-5 starting rotation...you never know.

I'd be thrilled with 30-10 !

Don't know, I really haven't looked at the schedule enough to see what teams show up in the first 40.

Nice to see Ryan Ruburn have a nice spring training for the Tigers

Jimbo said:
Lets hope it carries over ...
If so, I don't see much playing time for Inge, as long as Raburn is hitting.

Yeah plus leyland has kept Rayburn in the lineup during some lean times

Hey, we really should do a SatGuys day at Comerica Park this year. I've tried to hook-up with some of you while I've been up in the metro area for a visit/game (Tigers, Wings, Wolverines, etc.) but so far, no luck. Anyway, if all goes well I should be up there 2-3 times this summer. Anyone up for a game this year?

Hey, we really should do a SatGuys day at Comerica Park this year. I've tried to hook-up with some of you while I've been up in the metro area for a visit/game (Tigers, Wings, Wolverines, etc.) but so far, no luck. Anyway, if all goes well I should be up there 2-3 times this summer. Anyone up for a game this year?

Sure if it's a weekend ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver passes away at 82

Stan The Man dead at 92

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)