AL Central Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AL playoff race is crazy...as of today the new forcast if for the Tigers to play Oakland, and Baltimore/Texas to play New York. I really hope the Tigers don't play the As because there is no way in heck I am staying up to watch a late-late game when I get up at 4:00 AM. Kinda reminds me of the Wings in the playoffs each year.

Triple Crown...

Going into the final game of the season, Cabrera is 7 percentage points ahead of Trout for the batting title. Cabrera would probably have to go 0-5 and Troube go 5-5 in order to be caught; he is 11 RBIs ahead of Hamilton so that lead is safe; and he is 1 HR ahead of Hamilton, who would have to belt a pair of homers to take the title. ESPN has the odds of his winning the Triple Crown at 94.2%

It could be a once in a lifetime moment in Minnesota this evening. (okay, I was around in '66 and '67 but I was only 3-4 years old).

Minnesota? Tigers are playing in KC.

Which makes his winning the Triple Crown even that mroe impressive. :p Sorry, I'm over multitasking. :eek:

Only 13 players ever have won the Triple Crown. Only four players have won it since World War II. I don't see how Cabrera doesn't win the MVP should he win the Triple Crown and take his team into the playoffs.

On a side note heard that the Twins did something really good. They are donating all the concession food that they had left over (that they didnt use) to local food shelves.

Twins and Delaware North Sportservice Donate More Than Six Tons of Food to Local Charities in 2012
Unused food from Target Field goes to local non-profits thanks to partnership with Rock and Wrap It Up! Inc.

The Minnesota Twins and partner Delaware North Companies Sportservice today announced they have donated 12,495 pounds of food to local charities during the 2012 season. Through a partnership with Rock and Wrap It Up! Inc., representatives from Joseph’s Storehouse in Brooklyn Park boxed up all prepared but untouched meals at Target Field, donating the unused food from Target Field to local charities.

“The Twins are proud of our continued relationship with Rock and Wrap It Up! and we look forward to working with them in the future,” said Bryan Donaldson, Director of Community Relations for the Minnesota Twins. “Not only does the food go toward a good cause, but it no longer needs to be otherwise disposed of, reducing our overall waste at Target Field.”

In 2012, the Twins donated more than 30,000 hot dogs and brats, more than 5,000 hamburgers and more than 2,000 chicken breasts, totaling more than six tons of food for local charities.

Unless things get really crazy in the 9th it looks like the Tigers will probably play the A's at 6:07ET on TBS. The Rangers will have to play in the one game wild card round.

Edit: actually I'm not sure what would happen if the Yankees lose tonight because they would finish the season tied with the A's. I'm not sure how the tiebreaker would work in that situation. Also if the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins all 3 teams would end up tied with the best record in the AL. Yankees and O's would have to play a game 163 but I don't know who would have the tiebreaker for the number 1 seed in the AL. The only sure thing right now is that the game will be at 6:07 in Detroit Saturday.

Last edited:
Ok. MLB Network just ran through all the playoff scenarios. The Tigers will play the A's unless both the Yankees and the O's lose tonight. If they both lose the Tigers would play the Yankees.

NO ONE can stop the A's now. They are a very feared team with what every other team is dying for....a solid bullpen! They are this year's team feel-good story.

Looking forward to this weekends games! Should be a fun atmosphere :)

Go Tigers!

Okay, I'm a little disappointed MLB Network won't be carrying the DET-KC game tonight with Cabrera going after the Triple Crown. I would love to see him put some big number on the board.

Unfortunately, ESPN has national exclusivity tonight. However, MLBN will be having live "look-in's" all evening.

riffjim4069 said:
Okay, I'm a little disappointed MLB Network won't be carrying the DET-KC game tonight with Cabrera going after the Triple Crown. I would love to see him put some big number on the board.

Im glad they decided to play him. This morning on 97.1 the ticket out of Detroit they interviewed Leyland. He said Cabrera would be a game time decision depending on what Hamilton does in their afternoon game. He had nothing to gain by playing tonight. The bating average is probably safe with his lead but he could have sat out knowing it was locked up. There is probably an outside chance someone could catch him in average if he went 0-5 or something but apparently he asked to be put in the lineup tonight.

Someone said earlier in the day that Cabrera would have to go 0-4 and Trout would have to go 4-4 in order to pass him.
I don't think it's possible this late in the year to move your avg 6 points in the last game.

Cabrera started the day at .331, Trout .324.

As for the debate, I would like to see a comparison of what the two hit from the 7th inning on as well as avg with RISP.

Those are the real Clutch numbers.

Jimbo said:
Someone said earlier in the day that Cabrera would have to go 0-4 and Trout would have to go 4-4 in order to pass him.
I don't think it's possible this late in the year to move your avg 6 points in the last game.

Cabrera started the day at .331, Trout .324.

As for the debate, I would like to see a comparison of what the two hit from the 7th inning on as well as avg with RISP.

Those are the real Clutch numbers.

I agree that he is probably safe but their averages don't have to move 6 points. 3 points from each of them could do it too. Again that's not likely but he knew 100% he had the triple crown by not playing. It's not quite 100% now that he is.

I agree that he is probably safe but their averages don't have to move 6 points. 3 points from each of them could do it too. Again that's not likely but he knew 100% he had the triple crown by not playing. It's not quite 100% now that he is.

I commend him for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Orioles manager Earl Weaver passes away at 82

Stan The Man dead at 92

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)