Alien: Isolation revealed, apparently to make up for Aliens: Colonial Marines

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Looks like Sega is trying to make up for all the love they lost with the A:CM debacle (although this game has been in development for 3 years) and have revealed Alien: Isolation. It appears to be the game we've all wanted: a survival horror game as opposed to a shooter.

Escapist Preview
Destructoid Preview

Looks like they're REALLY trying to make up for the CM mess, as well as distance themselves from that turd passing itself off as a game (very evident in the video included in the Escapist Preview.) Also, apparently this reveal trailer is REAL gameplay (as demanded by Sega), and not something that CGI movie that made up the A:CM trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually looks cool and more in the spirit of the franchise. I know everyone loves Aliens but Alien was actually my favorite. This looks more like what I would want for a video game in this franchise. Honestly, I don't know why they are even bothering though. Even if this was next years GOTY I think they would have a hard time selling it this close to CM. It's still to fresh in everyone's mind. Plus everyone thought CM looked cool from all the hype videos at E3 too and look how that turned out. I will wait for reviews and give this game a chance if it deserves it but I really don't see this going well for them no matter how good the game actually is.

It actually looks cool and more in the spirit of the franchise. I know everyone loves Aliens but Alien was actually my favorite. This looks more like what I would want for a video game in this franchise. Honestly, I don't know why they are even bothering though. Even if this was next years GOTY I think they would have a hard time selling it this close to CM. It's still to fresh in everyone's mind. Plus everyone thought CM looked cool from all the hype videos at E3 too and look how that turned out. I will wait for reviews and give this game a chance if it deserves it but I really don't see this going well for them no matter how good the game actually is.
Well, the reason they're "bothering" is because this game has been in development for 3 years, so to just abandon it at this point would be dumb because then it's the equivalent to burning money.

I think that people are willing to forget about A:CM. I think a bigger issue is the style of game this is. Games like this typically do better as "indie" games, like "Slender Man," "Amnesia" and "Outlast." I can't remember the last AAA release of a game like this. I could see people complaining "This sucks! Why can't I fight the Alien!?" For people who really "get" the Alien series, this is a wet dream. But when people hear "Survival Horror" they're likely to think of Resident Evil (although that game hasn't really been Survival Horror since RE: Code Veronica) so they may not really "get it." Still I have hope. But yes like many others I'm not thinking of touching this until some reviews come in, and even then I'll likely wait until at least 50% off.

Yeah, that makes sense and I hope the game is actually good because I think I would love it. Hopefully Gearbox didn't ruin the franchise for the near future in the eyes of the general public though.

It does seem a little weird that they had 2 games in development for a franchise that isn't even current though. I understand that Prometheus came out a couple years ago but the games aren't really related to that.

Yeah, that makes sense and I hope the game is actually good because I think I would love it. Hopefully Gearbox didn't ruin the franchise for the near future in the eyes of the general public though.

It does seem a little weird that they had 2 games in development for a franchise that isn't even current though. I understand that Prometheus came out a couple years ago but the games aren't really related to that.
Well, it's Aliens. They haven't had movies in a while but it's one of the most iconic sci-fi series of all time. They have had offshoots as recent as 2007 with AVP, and also there was an AVP game in 2010. Hell it's technically more current than the Star Wars series. If the fan base exists, they'll make games for it.

I liked the Alien franchise and I thought Predator was pretty awesome too. I never watched the AVP movies and kind of forgot they existed. I am a fan of both Alien and Star Wars though so I'm always in favor of good games in those franchises.

In related Aliens news, apparently Sega is paying out $1.5 million in that class action lawsuit filed against them and Gearbox for deceiving customers by showing false gameplay footage and then not allowing reviewers to post their reviews until after the game was released, meaning consumers could not find out the game was crap until it was too late. Gearbox is still fighting to be taken out of the suit.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5993509/aliens-colonial-marines-class-action-settlement

I actually am glad that Sega ponied up and basically admitted to their fault. It's becoming a disturbing trend in AAA gaming where previews and trailers are NOT representative of the final product. The most recent example of this is Watch Dogs, where the infamous E3 trailer looked far superior to what came out until some people hacked the game and found the E3 assets and only then people were able to experience the game the same. Dark Souls 2 also was rather guilty of this as well, but really with a game like that you don't have time to admire the scenery. And let's not forget one of the most famous examples, KillZone 2 E3 vs Retail. I do hope though that this isn't abused and people just start suing game companies because games didn't live up to expectations. There actually have been a number of lawsuits like this in the past, but I guess in the case of A:CM the game was just SOOO BAD (and believe me, it WAS THAT BAD) that there really was a legal case of fraud.

Colonial Marines was such a bad game. I can't get past one of the first missions due to no save feature option in the game. I gave up and refused to reinstall it on my PC.

Getting this new one soon, hoping it's worth the money.

Just keep in mind that A:CM and A:I are two COMPLETELY different games. Like their titles imply, A:CM is more like playing in the movie Aliens, while A:I is more like playing in Alien. As such, if stealth isn't your thing, you're not going to like this because this game is ALL stealth. Combat is very minimal. If you're into that sort of thing, then you'll likely enjoy this. If you like to solve your problems with bullets, then you may not enjoy this so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)