All my recordings on my hopper disappeared

baydog

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
United States
I went to watch a recorded show on my hopper only to see every single recorded program ever recorded and all my timers has disappeared. I unplugged the hopper for 30 minutes hoping if they would suddenly reappear. I'm so disappointed I'm going drop Dish altogether once my 2 year contract is up. I was only going to downgrade to the cheapest package temporarily for about a year or so just to have access to my dvr recordings on the hopper because I not going to watch TV a lot. But if they can suddenly disappear whats the point of keeping Dish network.

This happened to one of my original h2k's i could not even restore the times from the remote

I could set new timers and record just fine

Dish replaced it and I was able to recover the timers from the remote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a longshot, but as a sanity check, did you look in the "deleted recordings" folder to see if any were in there?

Unplug and re plug two more times. I am betting you may not get the recordings back, but this happened to me too and after the third unplug go-round, I got a message stating my hard drive had failed. Once that message showed up, DISH was quick to UPS me out a new Hopper, and once I had that set up with the guide downloaded, my remote restored all my old timers for me. I used Hulu Plus to watch all my recorded shows that I lost. Hard drives fail. It isn't fun, but it happens. I had the failed Hopper on a laptop cooler too, but I have since discovered that the cooler needed to be tilted upwards to keep the Hopper (and thus it's hard drive) cool enough to touch without being surprised by excess heat.

P.S. My failed Hopper with Sling was only installed in July of last year, and the second one seems to be failing already too.

I just had a message on my HwS this morning about all my recordings being lost. It wanted to format the disk, but I didn't let it. After rebooting, all the recordings were OK. Is this a sign of a disk problem (is there somewhere in the diagnostics menu that I can check?), or is this just another of Dish's many inexplicable bugs?

At first reading, I thought you said "expletive" bugs.

But then again, that might have been what you had in mind. :D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This can't be any worse than D's auto delete bug when you press exit or stop, Because of the new Look Back Start Over feature on certain channels, which is basically starting to the beginning on live TV even if you tune in late coming from another channel or not recording.

I just had a message on my HwS this morning about all my recordings being lost. It wanted to format the disk, but I didn't let it. After rebooting, all the recordings were OK. Is this a sign of a disk problem (is there somewhere in the diagnostics menu that I can check?), or is this just another of Dish's many inexplicable bugs?

I just got the Error 760 message again this morning, but so far a reboot HASN'T cleared it. Not only that, but last time it happened we were able to get rid of the popup message and watch TV (before rebooting) by hitting the CANCEL button. Now, hitting CANCEL doesn't work, in fact no button works (other than, I assume, OK, which we aren't ready to try yet.) I'm going to let the Hopper plugged in and see if anything changes after tonight's automatic reboot before I do anything else.

It's possible that this is a real hard drive failure this time, but I see quite a few people reporting the same problem across the net -- and considering that the Hopper hasn't been out all that long, that's a lot of hard drive failures. ALSO, in this thread, http://www.highdefforum.com/dish-ne...rive-error-loss-all-recordings-overnight.html , Ray C. from Dish ADMITS that it's a known software issue!

I just got the Error 760 message again this morning, but so far a reboot HASN'T cleared it. Not only that, but last time it happened we were able to get rid of the popup message and watch TV (before rebooting) by hitting the CANCEL button. Now, hitting CANCEL doesn't work, in fact no button works (other than, I assume, OK, which we aren't ready to try yet.) I'm going to let the Hopper plugged in and see if anything changes after tonight's automatic reboot before I do anything else.

It's possible that this is a real hard drive failure this time, but I see quite a few people reporting the same problem across the net -- and considering that the Hopper hasn't been out all that long, that's a lot of hard drive failures. ALSO, in this thread, http://www.highdefforum.com/dish-ne...rive-error-loss-all-recordings-overnight.html , Ray C. from Dish ADMITS that it's a known software issue!

I had this occur last week on one of my hoppers. The Mrs was not happy at all. She lost countless "Housewives" episodes, oh the horror. :) I immediately dumped all I wanted off my Hopper to the EHD.

To me, it does seem suspicious to have this 760 error soon after the latest software update. The HWS was only 11 month in service.

I didn't move anything to the EHD, thinking that it was just a software fluke. So far, I can't seem to get rid of it this time though. The only thing I've accomplished is to make the notice go away so I can watch TV, by turning the receiver off (soft off, with the power button on the remote) then back on. After that, I can hit the cancel button to dismiss the reformat notice.

I've just discovered something else which points to a software problem: the HWS acted like my EHD wasn't connected. I disconnected it and reconnected it a few times and finally it recognized it, BUT, whenever I try to play anything from it, I get a message "a problem was encountered when accessing files for this dvr event. please note the error code: 00"

I really don't think I have a bad internal HD and a bad EHD! I think the Hopper is deeply confused for some reason!

Nope, I get a red dot with a slash through it.

Keep in mind, I haven't reformatted the disk yet, and don't intend to til I see if there are any other options.

I decided to reformat it, and it's working normally so far. (Other than the lost recordings! I STILL say it's a software issue, not hardware!) I haven't tried reconnecting the EHD yet though, I want to wait til I don't have anything being recorded in case it decides to crash or something.

A few odd things I noticed before I formatted:

First, I would swear that somewhere in the diagnostics menu, there was a way to see the temperature log, the last fsck time (what I was REALLY interested in!), all sorts of non-obvious codes, etc. I couldn't find it. I tried hitting the Details button, which is where I thought it was, but it just said "OK" or something else stupid like that. (I haven't checked after reformatting -- again, I don't want to disturb anything just yet.)

Second, the satellite number that would be displayed in the lower left corner of the Info screen would sometimes shimmer. Yes, shimmer! It looked like an unstable analog signal, like a VCR recording. Nothing else on the screen would do this, and the satellite number wouldn't do it all the time. Definitely the strangest thing I've ever seen the system do!

I decided to reformat it, and it's working normally so far. (Other than the lost recordings! I STILL say it's a software issue, not hardware!) I haven't tried reconnecting the EHD yet though, I want to wait til I don't have anything being recorded in case it decides to crash or something.

A few odd things I noticed before I formatted:

First, I would swear that somewhere in the diagnostics menu, there was a way to see the temperature log, the last fsck time (what I was REALLY interested in!), all sorts of non-obvious codes, etc. I couldn't find it. I tried hitting the Details button, which is where I thought it was, but it just said "OK" or something else stupid like that. (I haven't checked after reformatting -- again, I don't want to disturb anything just yet.)

Second, the satellite number that would be displayed in the lower left corner of the Info screen would sometimes shimmer. Yes, shimmer! It looked like an unstable analog signal, like a VCR recording. Nothing else on the screen would do this, and the satellite number wouldn't do it all the time. Definitely the strangest thing I've ever seen the system do!

The temps are in the View Counters screen (Yellow - Blue - 3 - select View Counters). Press the page down arrow approximately 12 times.