Amiko Alien2 Reviews?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since it has two tuners can it control two separate dishes?

I have two dish's one C Band and the other KU, both have a cable coming into the house using their own coax, there are no switches in the line.

The C Band DISH uses DISCEQ and the KU Band is using USALS.

I would like tuner 1 to control the C Band and tuner 2 to control the KU.

That's exactly what I'd like too! Ku is on a Stab motor using USALS, and C-band is a linear actuator controlled by a DiseqC box using 1.2 -- Can the Alien2 control each of those completely independent of each other? That'd be sweet!!
Oh, one other question.... can it display output from both tuners at the same time? IOW, can I watch something on Ku on one TV/Monitor, and at the same time watch C-band on another??? If not, I'll probably stick to 2 separate receivers :(

Oh, one other question.... can it display output from both tuners at the same time? IOW, can I watch something on Ku on one TV/Monitor, and at the same time watch C-band on another??? If not, I'll probably stick to 2 separate receivers :(
has 2 inputs but 1 output so...... no unless it does split screen

Not 100% sure about motor control as the 2 Ku dishes are fixed dishes. It doesn't display output from both tuners at the same time as far as I know at this point.

I've also got an Alien2 and have been extremely satisfied with it. I'm only using one of the tuners and have four dishes connected to it through a DisEqC switch. I don't have any problems controlling the C-band actuator using DisEqC1.2 or the motorized Ku dish using USALS.

I'd also like to point out that the Amiko HD-8840 uses the ALi-3606 processor and is not an Alien2, which uses the STi-7162. The 8840 doesn't have all the multimedia and WebTV features of the Alien1 and Alien2.

Ernie

Good to hear positive feedback re the Amiko line of STBs. They certainly are feature rich. Price is not bad either.

I've also got an Alien2 and have been extremely satisfied with it. I'm only using one of the tuners and have four dishes connected to it through a DisEqC switch. I don't have any problems controlling the C-band actuator using DisEqC1.2 or the motorized Ku dish using USALS.

But you can do that with almost any receiver, don't need 2 tuners for that.

I'd also like to point out that the Amiko HD-8840 uses the ALi-3606 processor and is not an Alien2, which uses the STi-7162. The 8840 doesn't have all the multimedia and WebTV features of the Alien1 and Alien2.

Ernie

Also, pretty much all of that "extra" stuff you can get from an internet connected computer, most, if not all, for free. The receiver must be connected to the internet also to use those features.
So, for me at least, I don't think it's worth it. If it could display output from both tuners at the same time, then it could take the place of 2 receivers, and be worth it, IMHO.

Can you stream from one tuner while watching the other? That might solve someone's wishes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I asked at the FridgeFTA site and was told that it should work like the way I want, although it has issues at time.

I can live with that. I may order one and see how it does. :) (Of course if I get one then I got to find the time to actually play with it. :D)

I don't believe it does have an ATSC tuner, if it did that would be even more amazing. :) I have one coming, can't wait to play with it (when I find the time) :D

I don't believe it does have an ATSC tuner, if it did that would be even more amazing. :) I have one coming, can't wait to play with it (when I find the time) :D

I noticed that the N american version shows the input for the terrstrial TV, even though it looks like the european connector..... please post your findings when you receive it. I would like to give it a try. Where did you buy it? I have seen a big gap in price among sellers, ranging from $159 to $259

Probably means that like many linux based box's (enigma runs on linux) you can use usb tuners, enigma usually uses vtuner interfaces which are pretty cool because they dont even have to be plugged into the same box, they just have to be on the same network, ie they can be plugged into a router running openwrt/dd-wrt

UDL

Another reason I am interested in this receiver is it has two tuners...

I have two dish's one C Band the other KU band. I wonder if the Alien2 can control them both, if it can then COOL and I really want one. :)

I have one here in the UK and yes, it will work a C Band LNB and Ku. I use Ku on tuner 1 and C band on tuner 2

Got the receiver tonight (Thanks!)

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, been busy working around the house and I think I broke a bone or two in my hand but that's a different story for a different time...

Anyways, it came with the Wireless Keyboard Remote, and this thing is COOL! I have had lots of wireless keyboard remotes over the yeas but this is the only one with a backlight keyboard (and it lights up really nice too! Very easy to see in the dark!) and its also the first remote keyboard to have a built in laser pointer.

I plugged in into my Macbook Pro and it worked instantly including the trackpad. (The trackpad while functional is probably the weakest part of the remote... you got to move your fingers over the pad a bunch of times to get from one side of the screen to the other... but that could be a mac thing as well...)

Hopefully I get some time this weekend to get the receiver hooked up, maybe I will do it after I get an xray on my hand which I will do on Sunday afternoon as I have too much to do now so the hand will have to wait. :)

Reading about this box it does not have a atsc tuner in the usa. I found a post talking about on another forum. This is a copy of the post by the site staff that sells it.
I I would buy one if it had atsc being I got a projector so using a tivo for a tuner sucks.

The Alien offered here will be dual tuner DVB-S2 only. DVB-C and DVB-T are European. DVB-C is cable in Europe, DVB-T is terrestrial which is also European for OTA signals. In North America we use ATSC for OTA transmissions, with our limited usage and the ATSC licensing fees I highly doubt you will ever see an ATSC tuner for Amiko receivers. Also, T mentioned that you cannot change or add tuners to the Alien 2 so they come pre-configured from the manufacturer and that's the reason why he's only getting dual tuner models.....

Reading about this box it does not have a atsc tuner in the usa. I found a post talking about on another forum. This is a copy of the post by the site staff that sells it.
I I would buy one if it had atsc being I got a projector so using a tivo for a tuner sucks.

The Alien offered here will be dual tuner DVB-S2 only. DVB-C and DVB-T are European. DVB-C is cable in Europe, DVB-T is terrestrial which is also European for OTA signals. In North America we use ATSC for OTA transmissions, with our limited usage and the ATSC licensing fees I highly doubt you will ever see an ATSC tuner for Amiko receivers. Also, T mentioned that you cannot change or add tuners to the Alien 2 so they come pre-configured from the manufacturer and that's the reason why he's only getting dual tuner models.....

NO terrestrial OTA reception, GRRRRRRRR........
let's wait to hear Scott's review first.

Looking forward to the review Scott, after your hand is x-rayed of course.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)