Please reply by conversation.

ScoBuck

'Just Chillin'
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
He is is - for what its worth-

I just go off the phone with my 'insider'.

Bottom line - they are having technical problems. He told me that they in fact had extra staff in today for the launch, that they are working on resolving the issues (he either wouldn't tell me what or didn't know what the problems are). They were fully expecting a 'go live' today.

They are still trying to resolve and get stuff up today, and they don't have a date as to when it will be resolved - they are all over it to get things fixed.

Certianly not the news I was hoping for, but I will give him a call back tomorrow if nothing occurs or no official news is released.

Thanks. Can't believe people actually getting upset about this. Just comical to me. Better things in life to do than getting upset because a TV channel didn't come up.

This is why they were careful not to advertise a firm date!! Any time you are dealing with technology there will be glitches.

This is ridiculous. I can't believe I got like 5 hours sleep waiting for this crap. Apparently I have no life and neither do a lot of people on here. Hopefully we here something soon.

I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

and the second more believable one is...

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

i like most of you was very excited, but it is also hard to sift through all the "possible" information and 25 different threads on the topic. We should just start a new one that is Labeled "Waiting since 9/19 @ 6am EST" then we all know where we are going for info... Not pissed at D*, just dissappointed.

Now I have to go out of town and they will come up while Im gone of course. Oh well something sweet to come home to!!

This is why they were careful not to advertise a firm date!! Any time you are dealing with technology there will be glitches.

I agree but in the information age and internet, you can not control communication like you have been historically. There are so many leaks and explosion of information that can not be contained. CSR's were informed of the 19th and they announced it to customers.

That being said, Directv needs to realize the power of that information and how quickly it will spread. So they either need to do a better job of instructing CSR's not to say anything at all (which I dont believe you can just shut all communication off), or deal with consequences of what they say. The best way is to say something officially in a press release. I am no expert on this but Directv does need to do a better job of communication in the modern age.

I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

I believe number 2 as well. This isnt the first time they have had problems. Remember your advanced channels Scott? I've had problems with HD package and DVR activation in past and lets not forget the whole VOD debacle that was on Directv's end.

I guess I would have to lean towards #2 myself in that I found it very strange that my guy didn't tell me it was a problem up in the sky - it seemed odd while we were talking, so maybe there is something there. Number 2 sounds more like a 'technical' issue to me.

This does bring up a good point. Every employee assigned to PR "damage control" is one less employee who can be dedicated to working on the technical issues and getting them resolved. In most cases, these would be different "departments" but I'm sure there is also some overlap.

In short, there are times when a business can either devote resources toward explaining why they missed, or devote them to minimizing the delay and providing a "post mortem" assessment.

Well, I know my account hasn't seen the new charges that others have...so there may be something to that. If so, I'm sure they'll get that resolved ASAP.

I was wondering if they might be having problems with the MPEG4 encoders. I know that the HD locals here were very problematic early on. My understanding is that they're using different encoders for the new CONUS channels? Hope your contact is right that the channels are looking fine.

Thanks. Can't believe people actually getting upset about this. Just comical to me. Better things in life to do than getting upset because a TV channel didn't come up.

Same here..................

DBSTalk must have blew up early this morning when nothing showed from 103b/D10.

He is is - for what its worth-

I just go off the phone with my 'insider'.

Bottom line - they are having technical problems. He told me that they in fact had extra staff in today for the launch, that they are working on resolving the issues (he either wouldn't tell me what or didn't know what the problems are). They were fully expecting a 'go live' today.

They are still trying to resolve and get stuff up today, and they don't have a date as to when it will be resolved - they are all over it to get things fixed.

Certianly not the news I was hoping for, but I will give him a call back tomorrow if nothing occurs or no official news is released.
SOunds hopeful.

I guess I would have to lean towards #2 myself in that I found it very strange that my guy didn't tell me it was a problem up in the sky - it seemed odd while we were talking, so maybe there is something there. Number 2 sounds more like a 'technical' issue to me.

Thanks, Scobuck.

I could believe this since for over a week I (and many others) had our 'HD access' removed from our Directv online 'My Programming' page. Many people also actually lost their HD channels; I was fortunate that I never did (at least not that I'm aware of). I just checked my Directv account and HD access is now again correctly listed on the 'My Programming' page, so maybe they are getting this fixed and the channels will be up soon.

Well, I know my account hasn't seen the new charges that others have...so there may be something to that. If so, I'm sure they'll get that resolved ASAP.

I was wondering if they might be having problems with the MPEG4 encoders. I know that the HD locals here were very problematic early on. My understanding is that they're using different encoders for the new CONUS channels? Hope your contact is right that the channels are looking fine.
Encoders are my guess. Have they checked their cables? :D:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)