What does an AT&T fiber install require?

Lots of info! My install is tomorrow... I will see if I can post some pictures of how it turned out after they leave.

If they give you a choice between bury or aerial drop I'd go with the aerial drop. I've had nothing but problems with their burial contractor.

When I built a house in 2010, RG6 was still an upgrade. I wonder how many people with "new" houses have cat 3 and RG59?
Newer houses with RG59, very few .... RJ6 has been the standard since around 2000 i think.

As for Cat 3, its hard to say ... if your using it for phone, its fine, it can be used for internet, but not recommended .... it happens alot in apts because you normally can't replace it.

If they give you a choice between bury or aerial drop I'd go with the aerial drop. I've had nothing but problems with their burial contractor.
This generally is determined by the neighborhood, if its aer plant, it will stay aer, if its buried plant there really isn't any option, it stays buried ...

Btw, I'd much rather have buried. (as long as I know where its buried ... which the guy won't do the same time anyways, unless its a real short run.)

Newer houses with RG59, very few .... RJ6 has been the standard since around 2000 i think.

As for Cat 3, its hard to say ... if your using it for phone, its fine, it can be used for internet, but not recommended .... it happens alot in apts because you normally can't replace it.

Yeah, it surprised me in 2010. I thought with HDTV transition, RG6 was required, but the builder told me that most people never paid for the upgrade. This was Standard Pacific Homes FWIW.

Yeah, it surprised me in 2010. I thought with HDTV transition, RG6 was required, but the builder told me that most people never paid for the upgrade. This was Standard Pacific Homes FWIW.
My house built in 1995 has RG6 cable. Funny thing though, they didn’t run cable to two of the three bedrooms, but they did run a cable to the crawl space above the garage for an OTA antenna hookup. I used that one to run cables to the other two bedrooms, luckily they both share the same wall with the garage.

Reactions: Jimbo

HDTV didn't change anything, if anything RG59 vs RG6 matters less for OTA than it did before HDTV/ATSC since the top frequencies are lower after the higher numbered channels have been discontinued.

Reactions: ncted
HDTV didn't change anything, if anything RG59 vs RG6 matters less for OTA than it did before HDTV/ATSC since the top frequencies are lower after the higher numbered channels have been discontinued.

I guess I assumed it was a bandwidth thing, but what you say makes sense.

I take it when they do pre-wire new homes with RG-6 coax, they're always to be sure to use a "homerun" topology to all the cable wall jacks. With easy access to the root splitter(s) for changing out or upgrades?

As it would obviously be a mess if they installed any standard OTA/CATV splitters in the walls downstream on any of the homerun legs.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

I take it when they do pre-wire new homes with RG-6 coax, they're always to be sure to use a "homerun" topology to all the cable wall jacks. With easy access to the root splitter(s) for changing out or upgrades?

As it would obviously be a mess if they installed any standard OTA/CATV splitters in the walls downstream on any of the homerun legs.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think that is pretty standard these days.

I'm skeptical of that. Unless it is being built as a custom home for someone and they request home runs or otherwise specify it needs to be "satellite ready", I'll bet a lot of subs will do it the quickest/cheapest way. If it is a spec/tract home, the GC isn't going to want to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for home runs for coax that the buyer may never even use.

I'm skeptical of that. Unless it is being built as a custom home for someone and they request home runs or otherwise specify it needs to be "satellite ready", I'll bet a lot of subs will do it the quickest/cheapest way. If it is a spec/tract home, the GC isn't going to want to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for home runs for coax that the buyer may never even use.
From what I’ve seen all of the houses built here within the last 25 years seem to have all of the coax cables going to a box on the outside of the house for easy access for the cable/satellite installers to gain access to. One splitter going to multiple rooms.

From what I’ve seen all of the houses built here within the last 25 years seem to have all of the coax cables going to a box on the outside of the house for easy access for the cable/satellite installers to gain access to. One splitter going to multiple rooms.

Must be a regional thing, I've never seen a house around here built with home runs to the OUTSIDE of the house. Where there are home runs they are to the mechanical room in the basement, or a closet or garage on the main floor.

All four houses I've had over the past 20 years have had home runs. Also, every builder we talked to during that time was doing home runs. My parents house built in the 80s was done in series. Not sure when it changed.

Agree most houses in my area have an outside ONT/NID box.

There are both aerial and buried drops but both go to a spot outside of users house . Only time I have seen ONT on inside is for MDUs (apartments)

I think newer houses have a "smart box". Where the inside lines go go one room inside the house .

Agree most houses in my area have an outside ONT/NID box.

There are both aerial and buried drops but both go to a spot outside of users house . Only time I have seen ONT on inside is for MDUs (apartments)

I think newer houses have a "smart box". Where the inside lines go go one room inside the house .
0F7F149E-5D6B-45A6-BEC3-ED68DBA30452.jpeg

Will that stop notifications from AVS and dbstalk too ?? Or only this forum
All of them. But I understand DBStalk is changing software soon so that one may be a moot point. I only use it for here and AVSforum. And its rare I go to AVS anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtv757
Well since the thread is resurrected I'll post an update.

I now have the upgraded current AT&T gateway (BGW320-500) which has a fiber SFP+ module for a direct connection (no ONT) AND one of it's 4 Ethernet ports is a 5gbps port!

ezgif.com-webp-to-png.png

There is no "box" of any kind outside. The fiber runs direct from the pole to the house (aerial) and though a exterior wall to a SC-APC wall jack. Then there is a SC-APC to SC-APC fiber cable running from the wall jack to the gateway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts