What makes you stay with Directv?

i guess every resort/hotel uses different providers

i went to a resort one day in W-burg and they used dish ... was just at a Hilton in DC the other day and it had DirecTV

a little off topic but do you get an HD feed of Telemundo or is it SD only ? (on cox)
Cox here also supposedly carries WCVE out of Richmond on channnel 6 in addition to WHRO, but it is not on the lineup here at HICV or at Wyndham. They even used to carry WWBT (NBC Richmond) on channel 70, but I think they dropped it when they went all-digital and replaced 70 with ShopHQ full-time (it was already carried part time during NBC programming to force viewers to switch to WAVY).

That's because some cable providers just include the cost of the RSNs as part of the base package pricing that varies from system to system based on what channels they offer locally.
The cable providers are hiding behind these non-optional charges in an effort to convince subscribers that those charges are out of their control and that it costs up to $42/month in some areas to provide local channels as the price suggests. It is smoke and mirrors to subsidize the lower package price in many cases.

Perhaps they include it in their Broadcast TV Surcharge? My local Spectrum carries Pac-12 and ROOT and their Broadcast TV surcharge is the apparently maximum of $23.20.
Except Comcast charges more for their Broadcast Charge and the a RSN fee.

Since Charter is less, doubtful it is included.

And there is still a Pac-12 channel, even with the exodus from the conference?

Except Comcast charges more for their Broadcast Charge and the a RSN fee.
That's all a matter of how they manipulate the structuring of their pricing. DIRECTV satellite does this by adding a rather nebulous "Advanced Receiver Fee".

The more dollars you put into non-optional additional fees, the better your package pricing can appear. In Comcast's case, that's how they've managed to avoid their popular package prices from topping $180/month which would send many potential customers screaming to OTT services.

direct comes out cheaper than spectrum and has more bells and whistles like whole home dvr. there's no bogus dvr fee's no bogus box rental fee's ect ect. better programming discounts than what spectrum offers for there loyal customers
Humm, doesn't D* charge per box? Albeit, a bit cheaper usually than cable, maybe 2 bucks. Not sure about Spectrum, but as I indicated about Comcast, they let you stream from multiple TVs via Roku (or other streaming devices) as long as you have an X1 - no box fees then. Does Spectrum not offer a DVR on any device? That does sound crappy. Interesting perspective.

Humm, doesn't D* charge per box? Albeit, a bit cheaper usually than cable, maybe 2 bucks. Not sure about Spectrum, but as I indicated about Comcast, they let you stream from multiple TVs via Roku (or other streaming devices) as long as you have an X1 - no box fees then. Does Spectrum not offer a DVR on any device? That does sound crappy. Interesting perspective.
My step father had Comcast back in Michigan until earlier this year ( had it for years), for the last 3 years he only used Rokus, no X1, had no box charge at all.

Charter does the same here in Florida, but still more expensive then YTTV because of the fees like Broadcast Channels and Cloud DVR.

Yes but I belive 1st box is free W/ DirecTV
I just did a fake sign up yesterday to prove a point, the site says the first box is free, then tacks on a advanced receiver fee at the end.
With cable you have to pay for each STB plus additional outlets fee
untrue, if you already have a streaming box or the app on your TV, there is no box charge or outlet fee, the xfinity app basically is like YTTV, turns it into a cable box.

Now if you get a box, you do have to pay for it every month, but that is the same for any provider, including DirecTV.

At least Comcast and Charter are giving you a option without paying extra, it is a big deal if you need multiple boxes.

I waa thinking the old school way via STBs not this new streaming/fire stick stuff

If you get coax/STB in more than 1 room via cox and possibly other providers therr is "additional outlets fee"

Also I think optimum charges $3 for a rewind buffer (to rewind live tv) talk about a random fee

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
If you get coax in more than 1 room via cox and possibly other providers therr is "additional outlets fee"
I guess the resort here is paying a VERY hefty additional outlet fee then! They don’t have boxes in any of the rooms though, it’s just raw QAM feeds that can be tuned in straight from the Samsung TVs in every room (with half of the lineup consisting of widescreen SD feeds of channels and the other half HD feeds) , so I’m not sure if that counts.

I just recently returned to D* after about 18 months away. Why? Well, my streaming experience was hit and miss. Not every streaming service had all of the sports channels that I want. I had PQ issues with D* Stream as it often disconnected from my network. I decided to return to D* because it would be more reliable than streaming and the new Geminis automatically switch to streaming when there is a satellite outage. That occurred on Saturday night as I was watching the Cal-Auburn game.

Also, the Gemini boxes allow me to access Sunday Ticket which I could not have done with my old setup. Yesterday, it worked perfectly with one minor sound sync issue which was quickly corrected.

I decided to return to D* because it would be more reliable than streaming and the new Geminis automatically switch to streaming when there is a satellite outage.
SignalSaver is a Genie feature, not a Gemini feature.

If your weather wasn't terrible, you should probably let DIRECTV know you're having trouble.

i probably already said this but pricing

i pay like $120 , cox wants like $200+

and YTTV to match what i have would be $140
(base + Spanish+ movies+ 4K + sports add on )
also no MLB network or MLB 4k on YTTV

Last edited:
there's no bogus dvr fee's no bogus box rental fee's ect ect.

:oops:

1694557828733.png

Did you also look at the bottom of the page under Adjustments to see IF any of them were removed ?
Most companies do this so people know each item being charged and removed.

Often times you'll see a recvr (or other item) shown as being charged, then under the Adjustment portion see it taken off.
Well, I just did a almost complete order with the Entertainment Pack-

ENTERTAINMENT​

$64.99/mo.​

$10 autopay & paperless billing discount applied!

$14.00/mo.
That includes 3 Boxes, first one free until you get charged below.

$25.36/mo.
Advanced Receiver Fee-$15.00
DirecTV fees and surcharges $0.14
Estimated Government Taxes & Fees $10.22

Total-$104.35

Due each month after that
$104.35