What makes you stay with Directv?

I left dish 15 years and switch to DTV never look back. Pictures quality is great. Sure sometime weather cause problems with the pictur but it usually not for long. Our dish is the middle of my wife rosé garden.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
That's because some cable providers just include the cost of the RSNs as part of the base package pricing that varies from system to system based on what channels they offer locally. The cable providers that do have one like Optimum are only doing so to make a point. It's kind of the same with the broadcast fee that some cable providers introduced, even though they didn't drop the price of their $35-50 basic package where the only other channels are shopping and religious channels that pay them for carriage and any public/educational/government access channels that they are required to provide as part of their franchise agreement.

Satellite on the otherhand has different RSN costs that widely vary from market to market or even zip code to zip code. Like NYC and their 7 teams vs Philly where none of their teams are carried.

I’m not sure if Cox here does a broadcast or even RSN fee, but I do know they have a LOT of public and leased access channels (and even an “Explore Hampton Roads” channel).

Great Loyalty Discounts (like free MLB EI/ $80 off the bill for 12 months/ $200 visa card, free movie channels...)
4K LIVE Sports
MLB Network

great PQ
very reliable and other things i cant think of

not sure if Cox here does a broadcast or even RSN fee, bu
cox has a lot of hidden fees / additional outlets fee

not to mention horrific broadband service, im so sick of their monopoly (for broadband)

(from cox website...
Prices exclude installation/activation fees, equipment charges, inside wiring fees, additional outlets, taxes, surcharges (including a Broadcast Surcharge up to $13.50/mo. (Holland, MA: $9/mo.) and a Regional Sports Surcharge up to $10.00/mo., depending on Cox market) and other fees. Not all services and features available everywhere. A credit check and/or deposit may be required. Offer may not be combined with other offers, discounts or promotions. Online orders only. Other restrictions may apply.

I wouldn’t say horrific, Holiday Inn club vacations here in Williamsburg, VA has Cox for their complimentary wifi and it’s never went out when I’ve used it.
But I did notice the two channels I told you about that kept pixelating (FX/16 and MTV/22) were respectively replaced by AMC (already on 55) and TNT (already on 66). They are using a custom QAM modulator system, not boxes in every room.

fios also has those local PEG channels (public, educational, and government access channels)
but not cox 11 .... in NY they do have Altice local news channel

cox has a lot of hidden fees / additional outlets fee
The "per outlet" fees that are seperate from any box rental/lease fees are the worst example of a "just because we can" fee as not a single channel charges providers a per TV rate.

Reactions: dtv757
Yeah, FiOS is supposedly also an option here in Williamsburg, per Zap2It when I enter in their ZIP code, 23185. I’m not sure exactly where you are though that you’re stuck with Cox, since I entered ZIPs for the bigger cities like VA Beach, Hampton, Newport News, and Norfolk, and they all came up with both Cox and FiOS on Zap2It.

fios skipped a lot of areas

the entire city of Norfolk has NO fios, but slowly getting Metro Net fiber
VB they skipped all kinds of area espically along the eastern coast line (pungo, sandbridge, redmill, oceana, shipps corner, centerville, indian river plantation area ... list goes on )
only parts of cheaspeake (no south norfolk )
only parts of P town ..

fios also has those local PEG channels (public, educational, and government access channels)
but not cox 11 .... in NY they do have Altice local news channel
11 here is ESPN2 (above ESPN’s 12) with YurView on channel 60. They swapped their channel positions I think in January 2021 (so until then ESPN2 was on 60 and YurView was on 11)

Reactions: dtv757
Verizon is notorious for handpicking individual neighborhoods or even blocks to wire for FiOS. In those areas left out, unless you are less than a mile or 2 from the central office, you'll be limited to 3 Mbps speeds because of a long standing policy that has no technical basis involving remote terminals and their refusal to upgrade copper only areas to newer DSL technologies like ADSL+2 and VDSL that allow for much faster speeds at longer distances. In most of these areas the only option for low latency throttle free broadband is cable, and the pricing usually reflects their lack of real competition, but even that might not be an option if the systems franchise agreement let them also cherry pick where to wire.

Like the Charter system where my dad lived never expanded beyond their original 1988 footprint of a trunk down the major roads and no more than a mile down the side roads, and was still running at 450 MHz (cable ready 62) well into the late 2010s, until the state forced them to expand the system and upgrade to fiber to the node as a condition of their Time Warner Cable purchase.

Altice News 12 is what i was thinking of, that fios added, as fios1 channel shut down years ago
The hilarious part about that, News 12's former owner the Dolans were probably pissed about that move after spending the 2000s and 2010s with the tag line "Only on Cablevision, Never on FiOS".

Altice though pretty much gutted everything that made viewers love News 12, including consolidating the studios and forcing their Connecticut, Westchester and Hudson Valley anchors to make several hour commutes to New Jersey or central Long Island, and running it as a marketwide news station with regional optouts instead of individual hyper local stations that focused on the local news the broadcast stations didn't have time to cover. They even converted their 24/7 traffic & weather channel to a "Plus" channel that never drifts from their daytime and evening lifestyle shows and weekend and overnight paid programming, even if the area is being hit by severe weather or there's a major traffic or train incident.

along time ago here in the 757 we had a cox only new channel LNC 5 i think , and WAVY weather station (i think was also available OTA