An Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

and the second more believable one is...

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

you would think the billing computers would have been updated previous to today. but then computers can and will do strange things. why should i think directv's would be any different.

I have heard two different reasons from my sources. (Don't know if any of them are true)

1) There is a technical problem where the new channels are pixelating every few minutes.

and the second more believable one is...

2) They are having problems with the billing computer authorizing the new services.

The reason why I put more weight on number 2 is because I know one person with a test card and he says the HD has been up for a few days and look GOOD.

# 2 falls inline with what I was told by an exec I spoke to earlier. Also the multiple charges on my bill for HD plan makes sense.

#2 might also explain the extended outage last night of the website. I have two accounts with Starz and only one shows the recent HD Access fee change and Starz HD package. Please let this be the issue!!!!

you would think the billing computers would have been updated previous to today. but then computers can and will do strange things. why should i think directv's would be any different.

Yeah, you'd think that this would have been nailed down before the CSRs were authorized to give out a date...but unexpected things do happen.

I'd rather that this is the cause than any technical issues with the bird or the encoders.

All this speculation is ridiculous. They should man up and just release a statement saying what the issue is and what we can expect. I hate when we have to assume what is wrong because a company won't let us in on what the problem is.

I just checked my account and have some new HD access entries on it. I now also have HD access listed back in my programming - it wasn't there since they made these entires from the 16th.

09/19/2007 xxxxxxxx680xx HD Access $1.33 $0.00
09/19/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx TOTAL CHOICE PLUS $6.93 $0.00
09/19/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx HD Access $-1.33 $0.00
09/19/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx HD Access $1.33 $0.00
09/19/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx TOTAL CHOICE PLUS $-6.93 $0.00
09/16/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx HD Access $-2.33 $0.00
09/16/2007 xxxxxxxx68xx HD Access $2.33 $0.00

I would bet on technical problems, bschneider warned us this could cause a delay earlier in the week.

Really directv is in trouble if they don't get some channels launched by the end of the month, particularly those quoted in the press releases for a launch by the end of september. And of course they will need tbs hd for the mlb playoffs they promised soon after.

Not to late to switch to dish boys ;0 tons of new sports Hd today over there!!! Hope all goes well getting your basic Hd channels up!!!!!!!! ;0

-E* Fan Boy

I would bet on technical problems, bschneider warned us this could cause a delay earlier in the week.

Really directv is in trouble if they don't get some channels launched by the end of the month, particularly those quoted in the press releases for a launch by the end of september. And of course they will need tbs hd for the mlb playoffs they promised soon after.

TBS broadcasts of the playoffs will be in MPEG2, no problems there at all. Just as they show the Channel 9 Yankee games in MPEG4 with MLB-EI SF.

And I would like to hear exactly how DirecTV will be in trouble. Let's hear your manifesto.

Okay! I beleive the computer glitch problem because my account is now FINALLY showing the HD Access like everyone else!!

On 9/15 I saw on my account activity the $2.33 + and - additional HD access charges. This thread is my first indication that others are seeing such activity. I called a CSR on 9/17, who said there was no explaination and no notes on my account. Maybe this is all related.

I just checked my account and have some new HD access entries on it. I now also have HD access listed back in my programming - it wasn't there since they made these entires from the 16th.
If this turns out to be the problem, it will be extra frustrating since people (myself included) have been posting this info over at dbstalk since early last week. They're just now figuring out this is a problem (if this is the problem)?

TBS broadcasts of the playoffs will be in MPEG2, no problems there at all. Just as they show the Channel 9 Yankee games in MPEG4 with MLB-EI SF.

And I would like to hear exactly how DirecTV will be in trouble. Let's hear your manifesto.

Um, other providers may plan to show tbs hd games in mpeg 2, but it was clear from the press release, directv's plan was to show the games on the new fulltime mpeg 4 tbs hd channel provided by the new sat.

Now, months ago, we heard they may show the games on channel 95 for those with older equipment but that was before directv came to an agreement with tbs hd to be on the new sat, so we don't know if this has changed. If directv backed away from this idea, they are really going to have to move fast to even have the games in mpeg 2.

Okay! I beleive the computer glitch problem because my account is now FINALLY showing the HD Access like everyone else!!

I do see HD Access on mine (9/14), but haven't seen the other $0.00 charges for Starz-HD, Sports-HD and similar that some folks have. Don't know what, if anything, it means.

This does bring up a good point. Every employee assigned to PR "damage control" is one less employee who can be dedicated to working on the technical issues and getting them resolved. In most cases, these would be different "departments" but I'm sure there is also some overlap.

In short, there are times when a business can either devote resources toward explaining why they missed, or devote them to minimizing the delay and providing a "post mortem" assessment.

This a valid, yet somewhat flawed, argument. I would imagine that most of the PR staff knows how to turn on their computers, surf the net, and fax/email/post press releases to the various outlets D* uses to disseminate their info. However, without disparaging any of the PR folks, I doubt they even set foot (or are allowed to set foot) inside the technical support lair. And it also wouldn't surprise me if these two departments were on completely different campuses or even in different cities/time zones.

So saying that there is overlap is probably not entirely accurate. The Tech Support department (and not the CSR/public side of Tech Support) probably has one liaison that communicates with the D* PR Department to "translate" and correctly phrase what D* wants to say without making it too complex.

Your point about the post mortem is very on target though. I don't necessarily NEED to know what is going on right now as we speak. They can sum it up in a neat and tidy presser later today/this week.

DIRECTV HD Expansion Still Likely This Week
The satcaster's launch of new HD channels was set for today.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2007) -- DIRECTV is still targeting this week to launch 20-40 additional High-Definition channels, according to several programming sources. The satcaster actually had scheduled the launch today, but ran into what one source called "technical difficulties." It's unclear what the snafu is, but it's not considered to be serious.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, did not return phone calls today from TVPredictions.com.

But DIRECTV was so confident that today would be the kickoff day for its HD expansion that it alerted its programming partners that it would occur today, according to sources at three content providers.

In addition, DIRECTV notified some TV listings services that the channels would be added today. Consequently, Zap2it.com, the online listings site, today added the new HD channels from DIRECTV in its listings for the satcaster.

And DIRECTV's customer service representatives have been telling callers that new HD channels would be added today. But several TVPredictions.com readers say CSRs have been telling them today that the launch has been postponed.

Some readers report that CSRs are saying the new launch date is September 21.
trans.gif
trans.gif

Mine appeared a week ago...

09/12/2007 xxxxxxxx8016 HD Access $7.66 $0.00
09/12/2007 xxxxxxxx8016 Sports HD - Charge $0.00 $0.00
09/12/2007 xxxxxxxx8016 Cinemax HD - Charge $0.00 $0.00
09/12/2007 xxxxxxxx8016 Starz HD - Charge $0.00 $0.00
09/12/2007 xxxxxxxx8016 HD Access $-7.66 $0.00

I can believe that too, since I was just poking around my account yesterday to see if remote booking was up and I saw that nothing was attached to my account. My account was blanked out in the part of showing my subscription package and the boxes that I own.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)