Analyst Predicts Dish, T-Mobile & Amazon Super Union

Well, I still see there's reasonable expectation that Dish and Amazon will at the least, work closer together in the future.
As far as Ive read and people who are in the know.....Amazon is the largest data storage company in the world....anything that any one streams from Netflix comes from Amazons servers and a few other on top of that.....

Wonder what there angle is on this?.....We should hear something soon.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I still don't see an advantage to Dish launching a cellco. If TMO and Sprint merge, I suppose that could leave room for a fourth player, but doesn't this seem like reinventing the wheel? It would take them years to achieve the level of coverage of a Verizon or ATT, and what reason would people have to switch? Unless they have some tremendously groundbreaking tech we can't live without, it seems DOA to me

I still don't see an advantage to Dish launching a cellco. If TMO and Sprint merge, I suppose that could leave room for a fourth player, but doesn't this seem like reinventing the wheel? It would take them years to achieve the level of coverage of a Verizon or ATT, and what reason would people have to switch? Unless they have some tremendously groundbreaking tech we can't live without, it seems DOA to me
The need towers or something to put the cell sites on

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

The need towers or something to put the cell sites on

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

True, and under certain scenarios they can lease space on existing towers. However, this is still starting from scratch. Seems like a huge capital investment for little or no guarantee of ROI. I can almost hear the Sharks saying, "For that reason, I'm out."

Dish states they are not looking to build out a conventional cell network but a NB-IoT network. Their statement:

“We do not believe that it serves the public interest or makes business sense to build out a 4G/LTE network now that would duplicate networks already offered by the wireless incumbents, and subsequently require an almost immediate upgrade in order to be competitive. Instead, Dish plans to deploy a 5G-capable network, focused on supporting IoT – the first to be deployed in these bands anywhere in the world…. This network will not be burdened with a requirement to be backward-compatible with legacy services.”

Dish states they are not looking to build out a conventional cell network but a NB-IoT network. Their statement:

“We do not believe that it serves the public interest or makes business sense to build out a 4G/LTE network now that would duplicate networks already offered by the wireless incumbents, and subsequently require an almost immediate upgrade in order to be competitive. Instead, Dish plans to deploy a 5G-capable network, focused on supporting IoT – the first to be deployed in these bands anywhere in the world…. This network will not be burdened with a requirement to be backward-compatible with legacy services.”

Even so, they have competition now before they even begin. Verizon has been working on 5G for over a year now.

5g network..nothing to do with 4g

Currently V is deploying Cat-M1 using the 4G LTE and may at some point switch to true NB-IoT. What they are doing is just cobbing together some IoT features into current tech. True NB-IoT will require all new hardware that V is not installing. According to their own press release (per the above link) they say

"And the future use of 600 MHz spectrum – only good in the U.S. and not globally - will take some time to figure out and deploy widely, especially in busy urban locations."

This is the spectrum that Dish has large holdings in and will be using.