Another missing channel -- where's TV5Monde?

multnomah

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2008
Portland, OR
As recently as Saturday, I could watch TV5Monde on channel 9751 (61.5 satellite). Now it's gone!

The latest DISH Channel Chart shows TV5 on channels 9751 and 606, on the 61.5 satellite (I receive this satellite, but TV5 is now missing), channel 606 again on the 148 satellite (not one that I can receive) and channel 731 on the 118.7 satellite (I don't receive this satellite either).

I phoned DISH Technical Support and was told that the problem was with my 622 and that I would have to replace it. I don't follow the logic in that. Every other channel that I pay for is still working except this one. How could the DVR be at fault?

Does this make any sense?

Channel 606 isn't showing up on my Program Guide anymore. They (French channels) probably have been moved over to 118.7 already.

Dish SHOULD have contacted you about the change by now. I would call them back and try to talk to someone who knows what's going on. This should have been a free dish upgrade for you.
There's nothing wrong with your 622.

I'm not sure who you spoke to at DISH, but they certainly did not have (or try to research) why the channel is missing. The French channels on 61.5 (Trace 590, 3A TeleSud 591, and TV5 606) have migrated to 118.7. You will have to call DISH in order to have a 500+ dish installed. The channels at 118.7 are TV5 731, Trace TV 735, 3A TeleSud 751 and EuroChannel 752 (EuroChannel was NOT on 61.5). I subscribed to the French Bouquet about a month ago since my wife is a French teacher and installed a 500+ myself since I read about the French channel migrating to 118.7. When I spoke to the CSR (after 11pm mind you, which was overseas) they wanted to set me up with a work order for the 61.5. Even after I asked if those channels were moving, they STILL wanted to set me up with a 61.5 install!!! I told them to activate the channels on 118.7 and after discovering I already had the 118.7 they eventually activated the French channels on 118.7. The point to this is, the CSR's (Customer Service Rep) especially the overseas reps really have NO IDEA what they are talking about outside the script they are provided with. My suggestion, call during the day when you are most likely to talk to someone here in the USA and have a greater possibility of talking to someone who know what they are talking about. They should set you up with a work order for a tech to come out and install the 118.7 for you. They should take the dish 500 down and replace it with the Dish 500+, add a 44 switch to give you 119, 110, 61.5 and 118.7. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Yep.... my guess is they migrated TV5 to the 118.7..... I know it has been there for a while already, but I guess they finally turned it off on the 61.5 to make room for more HD....

You need to request a migration service call.... this should cost you nothing.

Thanks all of you for explaining this to me. I'm happy to know that I wasn't crazy after all.

Unfortunately I may never get to watch TV5Monde again. I have already tried several times to get an installer to put a 500+ on my roof so that I could watch Eurochannel, and they always refuse, because my roof is too high and too steep They particularly don't like handing the 500+ on a roof because of its size and weight. I raised this issue in a previous thread several months ago, and I got some good suggestions on how to do it, but I can't find a willing installer to carry them out.

What a shame. I will miss that channel.

I guess the first clue should have been when TV5 moved from channel 606 to channel 9751 on July 30 and channel 606 said that the channel was moving and to call Dish to get the necessary equipment to keep getting the channel. For 2½ months there has been a warning on this channel telling subscribers TV5 was moving off of 61.5° to have them make arrangement for the move.

Since July 30 the Dish Channel Chart has had a red mark on channel 606 at 61.5 warning "leaving 61.5°". And 9751 has a similar note.

This wasn't a surprise move. The funny thing is that the CSR didn't know about it! :)

See ya
Tony

I guess the first clue should have been when TV5 moved from channel 606 to channel 9751 on July 30 and channel 606 said that the channel was moving and to call Dish to get the necessary equipment to keep getting the channel. For 2½ months there has been a warning on this channel telling subscribers TV5 was moving off of 61.5° to have them make arrangement for the move.

Since July 30 the Dish Channel Chart has had a red mark on channel 606 at 61.5 warning "leaving 61.5°". And 9751 has a similar note.

This wasn't a surprise move. The funny thing is that the CSR didn't know about it! :)

See ya
Tony

I have been using the ''EKb' chart that is maintained by SatelliteGuys. Evidently that is not as current as the one you use. There is a small footnote at the bottom of the page saying TV5Monde was moved on October 15, but the listing still incorrectly shows it as active on 9751. Your information is correct.

I'm a TV 5 Monde (France) subscriber, as well, but on the WA at 148. I know Dish eventually wants to migrate this channel from 148 to 118.7 for those of us on the WA. Can anyone tell me when they will make the move? I am waiting for them to move me because I plan to eventually add Eurovision, but I don't want to pay for the move. Me too cheap to pay for the move, so I'll wait for as long as it takes:). I'd just like to know how long that will be.

Thanks all of you for explaining this to me. I'm happy to know that I wasn't crazy after all.

Unfortunately I may never get to watch TV5Monde again. I have already tried several times to get an installer to put a 500+ on my roof so that I could watch Eurochannel, and they always refuse, because my roof is too high and too steep They particularly don't like handing the 500+ on a roof because of its size and weight. I raised this issue in a previous thread several months ago, and I got some good suggestions on how to do it, but I can't find a willing installer to carry them out.

What a shame. I will miss that channel.

Do you live in a tunnel? Is there nowhere else to put the dish? You're in Oregon, you should have a fairly high look angle for those birds. I'm not trying to be an ass here, but as a technician I'm not going to do anything that will put my life at risk just because someone wants their dish to double as an aviation hazard. I want to go home and see my kids after work, not end up in the hospital. Just because you had Spiderman install your dish in the first place, doesn't mean that anyone else is going to go back up there.

Success! I found a technician with a 'can-do' attitude who managed to attach the 500+ to the side of a dormer without actually going onto the roof. It wasn't an easy installation, but in no way was it dangerous. I gave him a good tip. Now I not only have TV5Monde, but Eurochannel as well, and my reception on 110 and 119 has improved.

I have been using the ''EKb' chart that is maintained by SatelliteGuys. Evidently that is not as current as the one you use. There is a small footnote at the bottom of the page saying TV5Monde was moved on October 15, but the listing still incorrectly shows it as active on 9751. Your information is correct.

I am the person that maintain the EKB chart :) It's an independent site, not run by Satelliteguys.

Channel 9751 was removed from the charts the day it came off the system last Wednesday. Channel 9751 also had a note on it saying "Moving to 118°" for months!

If I missed something, let me know. I just checked and there is no channel 9751 on the charts.

See ya
Tony

Success! I found a technician with a 'can-do' attitude who managed to attach the 500+ to the side of a dormer without actually going onto the roof. It wasn't an easy installation, but in no way was it dangerous. I gave him a good tip. Now I not only have TV5Monde, but Eurochannel as well, and my reception on 110 and 119 has improved.

Good show! That's exactly what I was talking about. There's almost always another way. And the 500+ dish is a better all around dish. You get a stronger signal, and less rain fade.

I am the person that maintain the EKB chart :) It's an independent site, not run by Satelliteguys.

Channel 9751 was removed from the charts the day it came off the system last Wednesday. Channel 9751 also had a note on it saying "Moving to 118°" for months!

If I missed something, let me know. I just checked and there is no channel 9751 on the charts.

See ya
Tony

Sorry, I guess my explanation was more confusing than my original post. I never realized that there was a better chart at the bottom of the EKB web page. I just click on the first chart I see, because I'm always in too much of a hurry. The chart I have been using is at the top of the EKB web page and is called Downloadable Dish Network Channel Chart PDF Files Courtesy of Digiblur & Satelliteguys.us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)