Answers to your Hopper Questions

1. The software for that is being worked on and is supposedly coming SOON!

2. No telling if the installer will have it installed so they can talk to each other. They do have a way to keep them from seeing each other on the same network from what I read. Someone else wanted to be able to watch adult movies in their house without the wife and kids seeing it over the hopper and they said they could install it to block them from seeing each other.

The tech would have to go out of his way to make two hoppers not communicate. He would at the very least have to use an isolator, which isn't something that he's going to do unless the customer requests it. It's not a matter of a tech just "screwing up the install".

The tech would have to go out of his way to make two hoppers not communicate. He would at the very least have to use an isolator, which isn't something that he's going to do unless the customer requests it. It's not a matter of a tech just "screwing up the install".

I never said the installer would be "screwing up the install." But if DISH doesn't intend on having the solution for the seemless integration of the hoppers in place by the time the installer does the install , there is no telling how the installer will do it. Meaning a second tech visit might be needed to get it to work for both hoppers if they do get the integration working. It would stand to reason that if they know how to block the two from communicating on the switch itself, it would be no problem in doing the install so it doesn't block the communication. Even if it means installing it the opposite of the blocking mode.

I never said the installer would be "screwing up the install." But if DISH doesn't intend on having the solution for the seemless integration of the hoppers in place by the time the installer does the install , there is no telling how the installer will do it.

Yes there is. There is a certain way these things are installed. I've already been through the training for Hopper/Joey installation. Have you?

All I can say is look at the 922 and how it worked out. Put on the market without all the features that were promised, even the features on the older Vip series of receivers already had. Now that receiver is discontinued and even pulled from the market . I hope the hopper has a better fate than the 922 had.
If DISH history is any indicator though......

The 922 was a mistake even before it was released. If I remember correctly it was announced at CES and a year later it was still not out yet. Overhyped and underdelivered from start to finish. Assuming there are no unforeseen issues, even if OTA and the dual Hopper integration is never realized, the Hopper will still be a success. I know Dish has a poor track record with delays and promised features but the demos we have seen show this hardware to be a lot closer to being mature than the 922 was when it was unveiled. The biggest issue I have with the Hopper are the fees. It will be interesting to see if they will be a deterrent or not.

they know we want OTA. However, for their shareholders, the business decision that will be made will not be evaluated on how many posts we've made saying "OTA IS A MUST". It will likely be along the lines of an evaluation of how many OTA modules have been sold in the past, and a business decision on whether it's worth it to put R&D behind that feature. No matter how much we like that feature, if it does not make sound financial sense, (whether that's a break-even proposition, or a profit-making one) they won't do it.

It works both ways on the Business decision.

Today when an New customer calls on Day Two to complain that they are missing locals that they used to have on Cable or old Sat System (DIsh or DirecTV) with an OTA Tuner, they are told Yes you can get them IF you buy the OTA tuner and an Antenna.
The customer then makes a **Business decision** to buy it or not to buy it and never call and complain again.

On March 17th TWO days days later when they call and complain that they are missing local channels the customer is not given the option to make a Business decision to add the missing local via the OTA tuner. Instead they have no option but to complain. The CSR my say it will be coming soon, but we all know how the word soon plays out in our minds.
They might call again or call and file a complaint with the state attorney general saying they were miss lead on locals and now its a Two year contract, or they might cancel during install once they realize they are missing locals and the installer is out money.

No OTA on release date is a very bad thing. I think Dish owes there customer a firm commitment that it is in fact coming and a date on when it is coming. Getting that information here is not official even though it seems to be from a trusting source (something about an email someone got form dish?) .

Dish could change there mind since OTA is not announced. It is NOT in an official press release or published on there web site.

Dish owes the customers info in writing since they will be signing a Two Year contract.

I think Dish owes an official statement on Release date March 15th either a press release or on there web page or in the actual contract form for the Two year agreement.
By doing this they will give the customer that option once again although 6 months from now. With out it is just a strong rumor that it might be coming, not verified.

By not doing it there JD Powell customer service ratings will slip.

Last edited:
Dish is required to carry all locals in all markets if they are full power stations.

Dish will be required to carry all HD locals in all the markets they have an HD channel carried (carry one carry all) by the end of next year. Dish has been busy adding secondary HD local channels.

Dish carries HD to around 85+% of the population.

The Hopper without OTA will satisfy most people.

I never said the installer would be "screwing up the install." But if DISH doesn't intend on having the solution for the seemless integration of the hoppers in place by the time the installer does the install , there is no telling how the installer will do it. Meaning a second tech visit might be needed to get it to work for both hoppers if they do get the integration working. It would stand to reason that if they know how to block the two from communicating on the switch itself, it would be no problem in doing the install so it doesn't block the communication. Even if it means installing it the opposite of the blocking mode.
the only time you'd need isolators is when you are purposely trying to block communication between the hoppers upon customer request.

So, of course you can tell if another tech visit will be required.... because as a customer you would have requested the use of isolators in the first place.

The Hopper without OTA will satisfy the overwhelming majority of people.

Not according to the two polls listed on this site. Overwhelmingly 70% are not happy with the lack of ota , lack of communication between the two hoppers and the increase of the monthly fees. Since those are the only two polls taken on this site , I would have to say you only voicing your personal opinion. Now if you want to create another poll to see if that number has changed, go for it.

Dish is required to carry all locals in all markets if they are full power stations.

Dish will be required to carry all HD locals in all the markets they have an HD channel carried (carry one carry all) by the end of next year. Dish has been busy adding secondary HD local channels.

Dish carries HD to around 85+% of the population.

The Hopper without OTA will satisfy most people.

Until it rains/snows very hard and their sat picture goes pffffttt.

the only time you'd need isolators is when you are purposely trying to block communication between the hoppers upon customer request.

So, of course you can tell if another tech visit will be required.... because as a customer you would have requested the use of isolators in the first place.

Very logical. I only hope the installer will think the same way ,but honestly have you seen who they send out to install ? You never know who you are going to get or how good they are . I've seen pictures on this very site of some seriously fuggly installs.

Not according to the two polls listed on this site. Overwhelmingly 70% are not happy with the lack of ota , lack of communication between the two hoppers and the increase of the monthly fees. Since those are the only two polls taken on this site , I would have to say you only voicing your personal opinion. Now if you want to create another poll to see if that number has changed, go for it.

It isn't my opinion. I want these features. The issue here is that most of Dish's 14 million customers aren't on this site, nor are the 116 million television household in the US (although Scott is working on it ;) ) The polls on this site represent a very small amount of the television viewing public and the results certainly do not reflect the views of the majority of TV watchers. Most of the people here are TV fanatics, early adopters, technology geeks, etc. that want/need/crave many more things than the general public.

Good to know you are actually reading the install manual for installing the system. I hate it when they send a kid out there who knows less than I do about installing something new like the hopper. I actually had a kid from DISH try to install a 1000.4 dish back in 2008, when they first came out with the dish and gave me terrible signal strengths. I signed off on it and reinstalled it ,following the actual dish install manual and got higher signals for eastern arc than I seen anyone get yet: 60s on 72.7 and 45 - 50 on 77 sat and 50- 70 on 61.5 sat. I had to take the entire dish apart and start over from the first instruction ,but I did it.

It isn't my opinion. I want these features. The issue here is that most of Dish's 14 million customers aren't on this site, nor are the 116 million television household in the US (although Scott is working on it ;) ) The polls on this site represent a very small amount of the television viewing public and the results certainly do not reflect the views of the majority of TV watchers. Most of the people here are TV fanatics, early adopters, technology geeks, etc. that want/need/crave many more things than the general public.

You are correct about the majority of tv watchers having a different view than we do on this site. Not many even know how to operate their sat receivers to this day. But it was the need by customers to have their local channels that caused DISH to be the first to carry local channels on their satellite. Many back in the day wouldn't even have satellite because there were no locals. While DISH was adding locals on the satellite , many didn't have theirs yet , so ota filled the void. When they switched to HD locals , again many didn't have theirs up on the satellite, ota once again filled the void by adding built in ota tuners and or ota modules. There are still cities not up on the satellite in hd and once again DISH SHOULD fill the void and make the ota module accessible to subs who want them. Until DISH adds all the sub channels up there on the satellite(not going to happen, ever), ota would fill the void. If DISH would actually have followed Voom's lead in making ota installs part of the dish itself or a side antenna install, the acceptance of this ota feature would be well used by more of DISH's subs out there. But DISH has not chosen to install antennas or even offered them as part of their basic install. So the need for locals has pushed both DISH and DIRECTV to expand and to add subs. I only hope DISH would realize that and make ota a higher priority.

Very logical. I only hope the installer will think the same way ,but honestly have you seen who they send out to install ? You never know who you are going to get or how good they are . I've seen pictures on this very site of some seriously fuggly installs.
they don't have to do any thinking... almost all the training diagrams use taps and splitters for the installations.

Anyways, we're getting way off point and the basic Q&A of these topics....

Bottom line is that most people will just need to wait for Dish to push a firmware upgrade to the Hoppers to get them to work seamlessly. (when the update is ready)

Last edited:
Bogus analogy -- unless you're some weird person who leases his gutters.

But, I thought the gutters were part of the lease on my house?

OH! WAIT! I see, there are several line items on my home rental receipt:

Basic Monthly Residence Rental: $1250.00 per month
Running Water Pipe to water main: $125.00 per month
Air rights to connect electricity from house to poll in alley: $45.00 per month
Gutters: $12.00 per month, per down spout
Storm Windows: $32.50 per window
Roofing Shingles: $99.99 per 10 foot square area, per month
Window Glass: $15.00 per window
Use of garage: $325.00 per month, per vehicle

WOW! This looks just like my DISH statement!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)