Answers to your Hopper Questions

If you read the new upgrade page with confirmed info (The free 1st Joey was just a rumor) it would have confrmed the prices the rep gave you. You could always add the Protection Plan which will reduce the install fee to $15, and then remove it later.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Huh? I just looked at the upgrade page [http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/hopper/], and took a screenshot.

hopper.jpg

Agree, I would say the Hopper Upgrade page on the Dish site is very up front. The comparison with a 722 is well laid out and clearly shows the monthly fee difference between a 722 and a 1H/1J setup without any spin.

The initial equipment fees are not spelled out, but it does say "Call to upgrade your equipment. Fee(s) will apply." Whenever I see something like that I know what to expect.

You got to it first. ;-)

It says the 2nd TV Receiver fee is $7. That's the first Joey.

Right. The fee for a Joey is $7/month. So, the way it is on the DISH upgrade page is:

Joey 1: Free
Joey 2: $7

Can't mean anything other than that because the Hopper is $99, you don't get the hopper for free.

So what you are saying is, DISH is not charging a lease fee on the Hopper, you just have to pay the lease fee on the Joey's, yes?

So what you are saying is, DISH is not charging a lease fee on the Hopper, you just have to pay the lease fee on the Joey's, yes?

you are paying $6 a month for the DVR fee and $4 a month for the whole home fee. In my book i'd add those up as $10 per month for the first hopper. (They are listing it as free though)

I just ordered 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I really do not need the 3rd joey but was told that the only way to get the 2nd hopper was to have a 3rd joey added. The rep told me his computer would not allow a 2nd hopper added until I added the 5th location. I'll see how it works and if I don't need it I'll wait a few months and return it.

I left dish in December because I could not get HD on a 4th television and attempted to sign up with Direct. When I signed up with Direct they messed up my order and told me I had to have a Samsung television for the HR34 and that ruled them out. I have been waiting for this for several months. I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
I just ordered 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I really do not need the 3rd joey but was told that the only way to get the 2nd hopper was to have a 3rd joey added. The rep told me is computer would not allow a 2nd hopper added until I added the 5th location. I'll see how it works and if I don't need it I'll wait a few months and return it.

I left dish in December because I could not get HD on a 4th television and attempted to sign up with Direct. When I signed up with Direct they messed up my order and told me I had to have a Samsung television for the HR34 and that ruled them out. I have been waiting for this for several months. I'm glad I did.
that's not true. call back and ask them to delete the third joey. (or message the DIRT team on this forum)

2 hopper, 2 joey is a very typical install.

I just ordered 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I really do not need the 3rd joey but was told that the only way to get the 2nd hopper was to have a 3rd joey added. The rep told me is computer would not allow a 2nd hopper added until I added the 5th location. I'll see how it works and if I don't need it I'll wait a few months and return it.

A third joey is not needed. i upgraded to a 2 Hopper/2 Joey system and wasn't required to get 3 joeys. call back and have them adjust the order.

I still don't see them making you return a Hopper once you've paid the $100 for it if you call up in a couple weeks and want to drop a Joey. Whether you're at 2H/2J or 2H/1J at the time. I wouldn't completely rule it out, but wouldn't expect it.

Time will tell.

I suspect they just won't let you deactivate the Joey. They'd say keep it on, or return the 2nd Hopper and use the Joey.

I'm VERY suspicious now.

H/J install on house and 5th wheel started

WWSB ABC 7 SARASOTA FLORIDA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts