Any know about line doublers or other S-video processing?

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I always feel bad that my rather new $1500 36" HDTV is only connected to my 522 using an S-video cable.. nothing digital... nothing component... nothing progessive scan etc....

Is there any way to IMPROVE my TV situation? I have seen line-doublers on eBay.. I've even heard of devices that will convert to component out/progressive scan.. artificial HDTV in a way.

Although.. no matter WHAT on the dang 522/625 the S-video cable is still needed.. but perhaps there IS a way to clean up and improve the signal to a HQ TV?

Thanks!

(NOTE: I know about DISH HDTV but can't afford it now.. nor am able to by contract for a year still.)

Each HDTV set has a built-in line-doubler/scaler. Of course you can spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars and get a better standalone scaler, but even the best one out there will not give you the picture quality comparable with HD. (Garbage in - garbage out;)). The best improvement you can make is by upgrading to an HD package or at least by getting HD OTA, if you don't have that yet.

Ilya said:
Each HDTV set has a built-in line-doubler/scaler. Of course you can spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars and get a better standalone scaler, but even the best one out there will not give you the picture quality comparable with HD. (Garbage in - garbage out;)). The best improvement you can make is by upgrading to an HD package or at least by getting HD OTA, if you don't have that yet.

When I first got my HDTV (an earler adopter) the 6000 was the only receiver out, there was no OTA module, no HD-Pak and no VOOM. I was very disapointed in my SD satellite and DVD PQ on my new set. I purchased a line doubler and it made a tremendous improvement in PQ. Because my set had a first generation line doubler chip, the external line doubler did a much better job and I was very happy with the results. In your situation, it would depend on the quality of the chip inside your TV and the one in the external box. Depending how bad the one in the TV is, compared to how good in the one in the external box is will determine what kind of improvement you will get.

If you have a new'ish $1500 HDTV CRT set, then odds are that the internal line doubler is fairly decent. I would be surprised if the difference between the internal vs the external as seen on a 36" CRT, would be very substantial. This is particularly true if you will be using s-video into the line doubler.

The Extron box looks like a decent one. It is possible that it could improve your picture, but it is 6 years old according to the description and so the chips will be 2-3 generations dated. Extron does build quality products, with good power supplies and are well-shielded & isolated.

I was going to suggest the 811 route, but if he only has one or two lines coming in to his 522, hooking in an 811 could pose difficulties, or loss of DVR functionality on one line.

As one can pick up a s-video cable for around $7-$8, and the worst case scenario is that his picture will only be a little better, that is the obvious first choice.

If he does have available OTA HD channels, it is a shame not to get them. Another option there is to pick up one of the VOOM receivers off of eBay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)