Any News on MLB Channel on Dish?

It never fails to amaze me why somebody would spend their time writing in to say that they DON'T want a channel that other people want, especially when they have no concept what the channel is about. To say that there is baseball on ESPN is like saying you don't want HBO because there are movies on Starz. I don't like soccer, but I don't criticize other's desire to have Fox Soccer Channel. If you are afraid that you'll have to pay for MLB Network, those of us who want it would be happy to pay for it in a higher level package or as a premium. It just seems counter-productive to say you don't want a channel, because you don't like it or understand it. Others do.
Who was I criticizing? I don't begrudge anybody who wants this channel, I just don't feel I need it to enhance my fandom. I'm an avid fan of the NFL and NHL, but watch very little of their networks, except for game broadcasts. I can live without all the talk that fills the time between games. If that's your thing, great. But it isn't for everyone, even those who are fans of the game.

Because Charlie is as smart as he is hated (Not deserving so). I go with the former.
Charlie is indeed very smart. He passes on channels like the MLB Network and MLB EI to save us subs money, has constant carriage disputes (including the current one with ESPN and Disney) to save us subs money, then tacks on huge new receiver fees and increased programming fees so that for many people cable and DirecTV actually cost less. :rolleyes:

I love to hear Ergen talk about why is does not have this channel or that package . He is only smart because people are dumb enough to stay with him as he rapes you each month on fees . He tells you this will cost our " SUBSCRIBERS " too much money so we are fighting for you . LMAO ! He is a liar and has been that way since I met him 13 years ago . At least I am smart enough to know he spews excuses , NOT reasons . Why no MLB ? Cost . Why no NFL ? Oh , Dish has it . Listen to their commercials . You have games every Sunday on locals and Monday night on ESPN and Sunday Night Football on NBC and Thursday night on the NFL channel . Lol . Oh , and the Red Zone . Just remember , no MLB or Sunday Ticket because he is fighting for you . So please pay your fees on time so he can continue the fight !!!!:D Thank goodness I have a choice now . And Iceman . I think you are correct sir . So let's go fishin' then , let's watch tv

Because Charlie is as smart as he is hated (Not deserving so). I go with the former.
Must not be too smart if he has had 3 net sub loss quarters in the last 2 years, with another loss quarter coming soon. This is the ONLY provider that has had net losses for more than quarter over a one year period.

Must not be too smart when Dish has more channel drops than any other provider, and yet the amount of money saved by subs when comparing comparable packages and setups is not all that great.

Must not be too smart when people cannot even get their own games on their own RSN consistently. This is the ONLY provider for which the word "JIP" is often used and where the schedule on your local team's website says HD, but not shown in HD on Dish

When one really compares DISH charges with the competition such as D* or cable offerings, is Dish's bills really lower ? When the competition has MLB or Sunday Ticket and/or other offerings Dish refuses to provide ? When those price comparisons are made, I doubt E* costs less and in fact may actually be more money for the limitation in programming received.

DISH is lower on regular programming packs than DIRECTV -NO CONTEST. Sports packs inflate the price of programming packs. Especially ESPN which is in everybody's lowest basic programming packs. Factor in the monthly fees that DISH charges and NO ONE else does and you will pay more for DISH vs DIRECTV. Especially the additional receiver fees.

Once again if you want sports -DIRECTV. IF you want more movie channels - DISH.

I am glad to see that this is an issue no one cares about. 150 channels offered, maybe 15 watched at all frequently...This is insane. I like almost everything about Dish, but this is going to be a deal breaker for me if they don't offer MLB by next season.

When one really compares DISH charges with the competition such as D* or cable offerings, is Dish's bills really lower ? When the competition has MLB or Sunday Ticket and/or other offerings Dish refuses to provide ? When those price comparisons are made, I doubt E* costs less and in fact may actually be more money for the limitation in programming received.

For those that find those extra cost sports packages worthwhile, you are spot on. But I would suspect that the majority of even D*'s subscribers don't have those packages. I also suspect that if you could look at the 'average' subscriber on each, the E* subscriber would be paying less.

And for people like me that wouldn't pay for those channels, or even care much if they were there at all, E* is the way to go. My current package with a 722k and a 612 is cheaper than it would be with D* and I have the channels I want to watch to boot.

True that, But what good is the service without equipment.;)

How much equipment do you need? I have 2 HDDVRs with Dish and the programs I find worthwhile in HD for them, all for less than it would cost to switch to any other service with something that was close but not complete.

For those that find those extra cost sports packages worthwhile, you are spot on. But I would suspect that the majority of even D*'s subscribers don't have those packages. I also suspect that if you could look at the 'average' subscriber on each, the E* subscriber would be paying less.

And for people like me that wouldn't pay for those channels, or even care much if they were there at all, E* is the way to go. My current package with a 722k and a 612 is cheaper than it would be with D* and I have the channels I want to watch to boot.
Of course, because the sports packages are included in average sub fee. If you compare sub fees for just basic programming only along with equipment, then the difference is not as great

Of course, because the sports packages are included in average sub fee. If you compare sub fees for just basic programming only along with equipment, then the difference is not as great

The difference isn't huge and I don't think it ever was. But on an annual basis that $10/month works out to $120 per year. Of course, neither one wants you to look at it on an annual basis! :)

The kickers that change the game are :

For Dish - if you have lots of equipment, those fees add up quick.

For Direct - those extra sports come at a cost, sometimes a very significant cost.

But really the cost is only part of the picture. For me, the value comes from Dish because they have what I want and I like their equipment better. Direct has more sports, but they are the sports I'm not a real fan of. I'm a golf and boxing fan and both services are equal in those.

The difference isn't huge and I don't think it ever was. But on an annual basis that $10/month works out to $120 per year. Of course, neither one wants you to look at it on an annual basis! :)

The kickers that change the game are :

For Dish - if you have lots of equipment, those fees add up quick.

For Direct - those extra sports come at a cost, sometimes a very significant cost.

But really the cost is only part of the picture. For me, the value comes from Dish because they have what I want and I like their equipment better. Direct has more sports, but they are the sports I'm not a real fan of. I'm a golf and boxing fan and both services are equal in those.
Neither of the bolded is true. Look at the link below to compare packages. The differences are not that great.

And considering the fact that in order to continue to receive the SAME channels, you often have to go up one package level on Dish to get the same channels in the lower package on Direct. IOW, it is better to compare Choice X with Dish's 250 package, because the 200 package is missing a lot of the channels in Choice Xtra. Also, Direct does not have a 120 equivalent. Their lowest base package is more comparable to Dish's 200 package. This means when comparing comparable packages, the difference between the price of the two providers is not great at all. When you add equipment, Direct is actually less expensive.

Considering these facts, how can one say that all subs pay more because of the extra cost of sports packages? I know I pay about $2 less per month with Direct than the same set up with the same channels with Dish (and Dish does not offer my favorite package, EI)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=50308&d=1271710130

Uh, $10x12 months isn't $120?

To compare packages is difficult as they don't exactly match. I would think a closer match would be D*'s Choice Ultimate @$65.99 to E*'s Top 250 @$64.99, so a buck saved. And HD is free on E* for life, and sometimes free on D* so call that a wash.

My equipment cost is exactly the same with E as it would be with D for the same functionality. ie; ability to record 4 events on one DVR+2 events on the other. To do that with D would require 3 HDDVRs and only 2 with E. So a wash.

Other fees are similar for both so call that a wash. So far E* is ahead by a buck! :)

But with D* I would be getting more sports channels (some HD) that I wouldn't watch ever. For the same money, I get the national HD that I do watch with E*. So for me, E* is the better value.

But this has been interesting. I hadn't done a $$$ comparison in quite awhile. Note that I'm leaving out the extra packages available from both.

Uh, $10x12 months isn't $120?

To compare packages is difficult as they don't exactly match. I would think a closer match would be D*'s Choice Ultimate @$65.99 to E*'s Top 250 @$64.99, so a buck saved. And HD is free on E* for life, and sometimes free on D* so call that a wash.

My equipment cost is exactly the same with E as it would be with D for the same functionality. ie; ability to record 4 events on one DVR+2 events on the other. To do that with D would require 3 HDDVRs and only 2 with E. So a wash.

Other fees are similar for both so call that a wash. So far E* is ahead by a buck! :)

But with D* I would be getting more sports channels (some HD) that I wouldn't watch ever. For the same money, I get the national HD that I do watch with E*. So for me, E* is the better value.

But this has been interesting. I hadn't done a $$$ comparison in quite awhile. Note that I'm leaving out the extra packages available from both.
It is not $10/month. Comparable packages with the same channels only differ by a couple of dollars per month. When you add equipment you can actually pay more per month.

Where are you getting this $10/month?