Any Word On Setanta Sport??

anthwrob

Jul 20, 2007
It's happening! Had this exchange with SS:

Yes, at the beginning of Aug we are launching, but the call center won't have any info before that, so please hold off on calling them.

----- Original Message -----
To: <sschannel@setanta.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:19 PM
Subject: SS on Dish

> Hello,
>
> SS is showing as being available on Dish Network.
>
> Is this true!! And when will it be going live??
>
> Great news!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony Robinson
>
>
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/a_la_carte/index.shtml
>
> Channel 406 - $14.99/month
> Setanta Sports - Your Home of International Sports brings to you the
> complete package of premium global sports programming with unrivaled,
> non-stop access to live coverage of the best European soccer,
> international
> rugby and other global sports 24/7. See the world's most watched sporting
> league - The Barclay's English Premier League and enjoy programming from
> the
> UEFA Champions League, the IRB 2007 Rugby World Cup, Euro 2008 Qualifiers,
> Coca-Cola Championship and Football League, International Friendlies,
> MUTV,
> ChelseaTV, Carling Cup, Scottish Premier League, IRB 6 Nations, Guinness
> English Premiership, Heineken European Cup, Tri Nations, Super 14, Currie
> Cup, Magners League, Aussie Rules and Gaelic Football and Hurling!
>

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
I was hoping to be able to sign up before the 28th of July when Arsenal plays a preseason game against PSG. :no

Either way, I'm glad Setanta is finally going to be available on DISH. :luvlove:

prithive

Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I am a big fan of EPL and Champions League. Will Setanta do ? or is it necessary to have FoxSoccer and GolTv.

I was planning on taking just the base package and adding Setanta, but if they dont cover the top 4 matches in the week( couple of hours delay is fine) ill need to take the Top250 package to get FoxSoccer

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
I am a big fan of EPL and Champions League. Will Setanta do ? or is it necessary to have FoxSoccer and GolTv.

I was planning on taking just the base package and adding Setanta, but if they dont cover the top 4 matches in the week( couple of hours delay is fine) ill need to take the Top250 package to get FoxSoccer

If you want all of the "top matches" you're gonna have to get the top 250 so that you can have FSC as well as Setanta .. If a selection of the games is ok for you .... then Setanta may be enough for you ....

Champions League was on Setanta and ESPN2 last year as far as i can remember. But ESPN had first choice of games i think.

This should give you a slightly better idea ....

Taken from

English Premier League Blog from EPL Talk: Soccer and Football News and Analysis

Fox & Setanta Finalize August EPL TV Schedule
The complete TV schedule for EPL matches during the first few weeks of the 2007/2008 season is now finalized, EPL Talk can reveal. Here's what we know so far

Saturday, August 11
Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur, 7:45am ET, Setanta Sports
West Ham United v Manchester City, 10am ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Bolton Wanderers v Newcastle United, 10am ET, Setanta Sports
Aston Villa v Liverpool, 12:15pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Derby v Portsmouth [Tape Delay], 2:30pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 12
Chelsea v Birmingham City, 8:30am ET, Setanta Sports
Manchester United v Reading, 11am ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Tuesday, August 14
Tottenham Hotspur v Everton, 3pm ET, Setanta Sports

Wednesday, August 15
Portsmouth v Manchester United, 3pm ET, Setanta Sports

Saturday, August 18
Portsmouth v Bolton Wanderers, 7:45am ET, Setanta Sports
Tottenham Hotspur v Derby County, 10am ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal, 10am ET, Setanta Sports
Newcastle United v Aston Villa, 12:15pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Wigan Athletic v Sunderland [Tape Delay], 2:30pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 19
Manchester City v Manchester United, 8:30am ET, Setanta Sports
Liverpool v Chelsea, 11am ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Saturday, August 25
Sunderland v Liverpool, 7:45am ET, Setanta Sports
Arsenal v Manchester City, 10am ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Chelsea v Portsmouth, 10am ET, Setanta Sports
Everton v Blackburn Rovers, 12:15pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Sunday, August 26
Derby County v Birmingham City [Tape Delay], 1am ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Middlesbrough v Newcastle United, 8:30am ET, Setanta Sports
Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur, 11am ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Saturday, September 1
Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur, 10am ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Manchester United v Sunderland, 12:15pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester City [Tape Delay], 6pm ET, Fox Soccer Channel

Now that Fox Soccer Channel has acquired the TV rights to Serie A beginning with the 07/08 season, the regular 2:30pm ET tape delayed EPL match will be shown later in the evening on Saturdays (and after midnight if Fox is showing a MLS game on Saturday night). For the first few weeks of the season, the tape delayed EPL match will be shown at its 2:30pm ET start-time only because the Serie A season begins later than the Premier League's season.

anthwrob

Jul 20, 2007
Dish Response....

Dear Anthony,
Thank you for your email. The Setanta Sports Network is currently scheduled to be broadcasted by DISH Network in August this year.
Thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Charles T.
TID:OR-Chrysler
DISH Network eCare

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 17, 2005
I can't wait for August 1st. I hope the launch is not delayed. Has anyone nailed down why it took one year for SS to launch on E*? The rumor was that E* wanted to add SS to the top 250 package, but couldn't due to the D* contract. In my opinion that should have been hashed out in one week as there was nothing SS could do.

I remember it took E* one year to launch Fox Sports World as well...what is the deal with E*? Has anyone seen MUTV? Is the SS feed of MUTV that good?

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Taken from

English Premier League Blog from EPL Talk: Soccer and Football News and Analysis

Fox & Setanta Finalize August EPL TV Schedule
The complete TV schedule for EPL matches during the first few weeks of the 2007/2008 season is now finalized, EPL Talk can reveal. Here's what we know so far

Typical gibberish from EPL Talk ("finalized" implies to the typical overly-casual reader that the list is complete).

There is still a number of matches missing from that list.

Setanta shows a delayed match on Saturday (8/11 would be either Fulham-Arsenal or Blackburn-Middlesbrough), and FSC will show a match on those Tuesday and Wednesday schedules.

Last edited:

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
Typical gibberish from EPL Talk

Do you have a more up to date and comprehensive list available ?
I'd like a link if one is available ...

In answer to the question that was asked ... it does the job perfectly well. It gives the OP an idea of the kind of games that they can expect to see on the channels that they were interested in.

Its hardly gibberish .. they said - the schedules have been finalized .. and here is what we know so far. Seems quite clear to me.... and prefectly correct.

oggusfoo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 9, 2006
Birmingham, AL
My two cents is that you'll probably miss not having Gol tv, only in the gold 250 package, if you have any interest in Bundesliga and practically every other league. FSC has mostly been a disapointment and I'm thrilled to have the option of Setanta, but if you are an impartial soccer viewer Gol is something you won't want to miss. Also, if you speak spanish get the spanish pack with Gol in ESP and thats the only way to get ESPN Deportes. It's like $30 plus 15 for setanta would get you mundo soccer for cheap.

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
Typical gibberish from EPL Talk ("finalized" implies to the typical overly-casual reader that the list is complete).

There is still a number of matches missing from that list.

Setanta shows a delayed match on Saturday (8/11 would be either Fulham-Arsenal or Blackburn-Middlesbrough), and FSC will show a match on those Tuesday and Wednesday schedules.

The list is actually complete and correct... it's just incorrectly stated.

That list is the complete list of LIVE matches being shown on Fox and Setanta.

As it is, their windows are as follows.

Setanta has exclusive rights to the Saturday lunchtime kickoff match.

Setanta has the rights to the first and third choice matches for the Saturday 3PM kickoff. FSC has the second and fourth choice matches for the 3PM kickoff.

FSC has the exclusive rights to the Saturday tea time kickoff match.

FSC typically shows the 4th choice match for the 3PM kickoff as the delayed match, which last season was the 1130AM PST match.

On Sundays, Setanta has exclusive rights to the early kickoff (2PM) and FSC has exclusive rights to the late kickoff (4PM).

FSC has right of first refusal on any Monday night matches, which they almost always take. Setanta on any Tuesday night matches.

As of last year, FSC also had right of first refusal on any of the FA Cup replay matches.

So their list was correct. They've also only chosen their matches through December so far as I know. They will choose the matches they want for the second half of the season later this year.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I have a really really dumb question Why dosent Setana Sports market themselves like other sports channels? ( like try to get into AT 250 or spanish package) !% bucks seems a little pricey

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I have a really really dumb question Why dosent Setana Sports market themselves like other sports channels? ( like try to get into AT 250 or spanish package) !% bucks seems a little pricey
Dish, DirecTV and cable systems have very little room for new channels.

The price of AT250 is not going to go up if they add Setanta to it, so Dish gets zero extra by adding it.

But if it is a la carte, then Dish gets something like half the monthly fee (just a guess based on hearsay).

Most of us are happy to spend $14.99 for these matches -they used to cost ~$250 a year just for the EPL matches. And you get the UEFA Champions League (third choice) matches, and the FA Championship League (idiotically, almost the same name for something entirely different) matches, and Football League Cup matches and some international qualifying matches.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
The list is actually complete and correct... it's just incorrectly stated.

That list is the complete list of LIVE matches being shown on Fox and Setanta.

Still not true.

Setanta shows two matches live at 10am Eastern Time on Saturday. If the satellite or cable provider has arranged to receive and broadcast this second match on an overflow channel, then they can provide both matches live to their customers. (So far, only DirecTV has agreed to do that.)

Setanta then provides the second match delayed (often just after the other match has finished) on its regular channel.

PS What I was criticizing was the use of the word "finalized". It seems hard to believe, that EPL Talk would know that the schedule is "finalized", and they would also know half of the matches, but not know the other half. If they were really "finalized", then FSC and Setanta would just release the schedule. In reality, all it takes is some player being arrested with several underage call girls, and an otherwise unscheduled match miraculously jumps to the top of the priority list. :D

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
Still not true.

Setanta shows two matches live at 10am Eastern Time on Saturday. If the satellite or cable provider has arranged to receive and broadcast this second match on an overflow channel, then they can provide both matches live to their customers. (So far, only DirecTV has agreed to do that.)

Setanta then provides the second match delayed (often just after the other match has finished) on its regular channel.

PS What I was criticizing was the use of the word "finalized". It seems hard to believe, that EPL Talk would know that the schedule is "finalized", and they would also know half of the matches, but not know the other half. If they were really "finalized", then FSC and Setanta would just release the schedule. In reality, all it takes is some player being arrested with several underage call girls, and an otherwise unscheduled match miraculously jumps to the top of the priority list. :D

You leave your fantasies of how Rio Ferdinand is going to get suspended this year out of this conversation!! :)

From talking with some folks at Setanta, that second match being available live might be a thing of the past sometime in the near future. I had asked about SSC Extra coming to Dish and they said it was actually something they were looking at getting rid of since there really wasn't a whole lot of need for it compared to the costs of running it.

Or, as it was put, "the third choice match at 3pm just isn't that big of a draw most of the time".

If that happens, they'll do what Dish does and just start running that match on tape delay.

And, as a closing note... babies cry when they are born because they realize they have entered a world with Nemanja Vidic in it, and thus know a lifetime of pain is awaiting them.

NemanjaVidic.jpg

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Or, as it was put, "the third choice match at 3pm just isn't that big of a draw most of the time".

If that happens, they'll do what Dish does and just start running that match on tape delay.

Actually, to clarify for the newbies, Dish won't be doing anything - the third choice match is run delayed on the regular Setanta Sports USA channel - regardless of whether or not the provider also has it live.

I can understand Setanta phasing out the second feed - the neutral wants to see the first choice match, and the fans of the two teams playing in the third choice match, are happy to wait two hours to see their teams play.

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
Not clear why the 2nd 10 AM match cannot be shown live - Dish has plenty of Alternate Sports and Sport PPV channels free, and I can think of few times when they are in use at 10 AM.

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
the fans of the two teams playing in the third choice match, are happy to wait two hours to see their teams play.

I'm sure the fans of any team .. no matter who they are .. would rather watch the match live than wait a couple of hours to see them play.

A neutral may not mind waiting ... but if you are a fan of one of the teams ... and if you have the choice ... you would probably take the live game 99 times out of a 100 wouldn't you ?

EvilEuro

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2005
Not clear why the 2nd 10 AM match cannot be shown live - Dish has plenty of Alternate Sports and Sport PPV channels free, and I can think of few times when they are in use at 10 AM.

Because it's not a Dish issue. It's a Setanta issue. Setanta doesn't want to launch SSC Extra on Dish when it's something they're probably going to take down soon anyway. So if Setanta isn't offering the second 3PM kickoff to Dish, they can't show it.

As it is, I'm just glad to finally not have to watch ITVN and their 3rd generation VHS duplicate video quality for my football matches anymore.

jokeworm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 29, 2006
Tulsa. Ok.
As it is, I'm just glad to finally not have to watch ITVN and their 3rd generation VHS duplicate video quality for my football matches anymore.

Agreed and the DVR will be a godsend for those early morning kick offs.

:)

I got my hand on my wallet as we speak .. my "obligation" to ITVN expires on 7/26 .. perfect timing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts