Anyone have an OLED?

Here's at shootout with the top Samsung UHD and LG ef9600.
Talks about judder near the end.

Wow, thanks for sharing. That does look bad. I'm back to my holding pattern. Grrr Someone please bring back plasma.

Just read it can peak around 800 nits. Which is so so for the HDR world.
Dolby Vision will be able to peak at 4000 nits.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the brightness. OLED is not about brightness. (Neither was plasma!)
I think the reason why Dolby is so preoccupied with brightness is because for most today's screen technologies (other than OLED) it is the easiest way to achieve higher dynamic range.
Basically to achieve HDR, you can either go deeper on blacks or go brighter on whites (ideally you want both, but that's almost impossible today).
Since only OLED can have very deep and refined blacks it doesn't have to be too bright to achieve HDR. Other technologies have no choice but to increase the brightness in order to get into HDR.
Hope this makes sense.

Gotcha Ilya.
On a side note read today 4K with HDR live sports is coming to Rodgers cable in Canada starting in January.

I am now quoted $2600 for the 55" and $4250 for the 65" delivered. So tempting!

I know! But it's getting more and more difficult to resist! :)

Perhaps the OLED production yields are getting better?

The Sammy is good.
With your plasma past not sure if you can get past the edge lit blacks even though the pic is awesome. OLED price keeps dropping. Did you see this one when you saw the Sammy?

My local Best Buy is putting the 65" model (65EF9500) on display later this week. I am going to check it out.

The Sammy is good.
With your plasma past not sure if you can get past the edge lit blacks even though the pic is awesome. OLED price keeps dropping. Did you see this one when you saw the Sammy?

yeah, and that is my concern. As much as I loved the image there in best buy and the price, we watch tv at night in a dim room and movies in pitch black. I read the entire 2015 flat UHD thread for the Sammy and people are running bias lights and talking about the normal edge lit stuff. Its what I expected and I need to stop myself from making a mistake I made in '11 with a flagship side lit.

I spoke to Chris at Cleveland plasma and a calibrator that owns one, I need to just buy the OLED. There will be certain aspects that are a step back from the VT50 that are important to me. During Chad's last two trips he told me the 1st and 2nd gen oleds were not perfect, but still the best image he has seen yet.

Chris's pricing is awesome, and better than a FALD LCD flagship, so I hope to pull the trigger middle of next week, just need to save a little more coin.

Little more research after reading the entire owner's thread (ugh):

• According to two different calibrators, last years and these current models are the two best tv's they have ever seen
  • Currently, some of the 2015 65" models experience a yellow band on one side (serial #'s 509 and 508, Aug and Sept Mexico builds). Seems LG is aware and the 510's will have a "fix" and they are planning to replace problematic panels if users report them. This is unconfirmed but someone meeting with LG at Cedia is going to discuss with them.
  • You can currently get the 65" for $4250 shipped, which is pretty darn awesome if you ask me.
  • 90% DCI and HDR ready.
  • Motion is low like LCD, one drawback from the plasma days, but with a combo of dejudder and deblur settings (like a Samsung LCD) you can get it looking nice.
  • Handles 24p properly.
  • Some have uniformity issues with near black (2 and 5%) slides, but this corrects as it ages. Calibrators recommend something like plasma aging before calibration anyways.
  • LG claims 100% or near for DCI in the next model line, and better motion rez, but as with panny plasma models we always saw these great advancements promised every year but it was just marginal at best (meaning dont buy one every year). OLED has been that way so far, so I do not think sitting around another 8 months or whatever for a 2016 model interests me. Regardless of UHD, 0 black and an infinite contrast ratio are going to be the biggest deals and why they have a lifelike image.
  • One calibrator that owns the 55" says "I haven't seen ANY IR at all watching content and I watch logo news and sports programs mostly".

$4,250 is very tempting. If it was a 70" model for that I'd buy tomorrow. I believe I read somewhere that there was potentially going to be a 70" model next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts