anyone have Samsung DLP w/ D* HD ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

medicalwaste

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
los angeles
my friend has a Samsung DLP 42 or 50 inch or so.. i forget. i don't know the model number of it, but it came out june, 2004. currently he only has D* SD and he wanted to see what HD looks like.

so i took my Sony HD200 to his house and hooked it up with my component cable, since he already had 3 lnb dish installed for his system.

and the picture was really bad. i have Sony 60XS955 and i like the way it looks with HD. but his samsung had picture so bad that if i were to make a decision, i wouldn't buy HD receiver or the TV.

is there anything he can do to make it look better? i don't know if using DVI will improve much because same receiver and same connection to my tv gives better picture.

anyone know why this is??

great picture

I have a Samsung DLP 50". It does not matter if I use my Samsung over the air box or Directv H10.........or VOOM when it was up. The picture is great. Thats using component or DVI or HDMI. I would say that something else is wrong in your situation. Maybe bad cable or something. I do believe that there is better quality with the DVI and HDMI connections tho. By the way DVD's are fantastic with my Sony progressive player.

I took a 50inch Samsung DLP for a test drive around Thanksgiving last year.

All I can say is that I took the somabitch back to Circuit City and told them it was the most worthless TV I had ever seen. I agree with you in that if I saw HD, or anything on a Samsung DLP I'd never consider switching to DLP or HD or anything related to Samsung.

The picture was blocky, not pixelated, but blocky, jagged edges, dark, poor contrast, bad color, and just a overall waste of money. No matter what connection I used the thing just sucked ass. My DVD's looked horrible. OTA HD was barely watchable.

I took that failed abortion back and grabbed the Panasonic LCD Rear projection and have been happy with that set.

I pray for your friend that he/she can take it back to where he got it and get something better.

There is nothing wrong with your eyes, nothing wrong with your connection, nothing wrong with the cabling, nothing wrong anywhere except for that horrible thing they try to call a TV.

Seriously you can get a better picture off of some no name CRT rear projection EDTV from Wal-Mart then that Samsung.

Well I have a Samsung 61" DLP and love IT! I think far better than that piece of Cr**& Panasonic LCD TV or what ever they call it!

Looked at both DLP and LCD. The DLP blew away the LCD. Oh by the way I made sure I had the TV set-up right plus ISF Cal. Because if know anything. The HDTV need to be ISF Cal out the box when you get them home!

Now for some serious tips. DVI connections make a huge differences and use good cables (not the expensive). You can adjust the picture your self. Plenty of tips on how do that on the web. So, work with a bit and check out this form that has plenty of tips on all kinds of TV. Called Highdef Forum

I have the 61 Inch Samsung DLP and it has an excellent HD picture out of the box. Maybe there is something wrong with the set. I also compared it to LCD and the DLP was much better looking (to me at least). But from what you are describing, something has to be wrong with the cables or the TV itself.

LMT believe me the picture will be even better after ISF Cal. I was like you. Loved the picture out of the box, but I did a lot of research on it and had it done. The differences is great. Plus it helps with the life of the TV. Don't believe me do the research.
As for the post its cables or the TV itself.

EEJay said:
Actually, robbiee's criticism of the Panasonic wasn't half as bad as yours of the Samsung. So the term would apply to you, too. After all...

I agree. I have rear proj CRT but have a friend with 50 inch Sammy DLP and its wonderful. It is the set I would buy if I were going to spend more money. In no case would I choose the LCD's. They dont look as good IMO and I would never risk dead pixels.

Yeah, I have meant to do that, just have not had the chance to. I have read about it really improving the picture. Probably will do it soon, once I get to watch it more when I get a lot of remodeling around my house done.

Thanks EEJay, I was trying to make a point. I guess the brains are not there to understand the point. Attack one TV then not like the response back by others and call them losers! I feel every one makes THIER own CHOICE for what ever reasons, that's good. If you want to cutting other's TVs down, but cannot take the repsonse back then don't say anything.

I have 3 HD TVs. 2 Samsung DLP (61" and 50"), and 1 Sony Grand Wega LCD rear projection (60"). All are hooked up with D* HD. Both Samsungs have the Zenith SAT520 (from Robert at VE), one with DVI, the other with component cable, and the Sony has the H10, with component cable. All 3 TVs have GREAT pictures, no problems whatsoever, and worked out of the box. IMHO, the Sony has the best picture - the HD picture has more depth than the Samsung, more 3-dimensional. A salesman pointed out to me that it was a matter of taste - the Sony has more depth, the Samsung has a brighter picture; he was right. By no means are the Samsungs inferior - just different. I'm using both DVI and component and can't really tell the difference that much, but I did not spend big $$$ for expensive cables. The pictures are great. So if anyone has drastically poor pictures as described in this thread, it's probably something specific to the TV, the setup, etc., and not applicable to all Samsung DLPs. I would buy the Samsung again, and in fact I did.

I also have a 46" Samsung DLP. I spent a lot of time researching all the different
brands and technologies and came down to the Samsung. There were other factors in my decision like the overall size of the TV. Honestly, I would have gone with a Mitsubishi DLP if it had not been $1000 more than the Samsung. Unfortunatlly, I bought it when it was a very new set and now I can get it for about $700 less than what I paid which means I could have gottne the Mitsu. But If I put all that aside the Samsung's picture quality among DLP's is 2nd only to the Mitsubishi which says a lot. I have had Voom, E*, and D*(taking into account that D* compresses) running in HD on my Samsung and the picture is close to perfect. I would have to say that it is definitly something specific to the TV or to the cables that is causing the problem. Or you are sitting 5 feet away from a Tv that should have a viewing distance of 10' or greater.

"There were other factors in my decision like the overall size of the TV."

Great point. When I got my second Samsung, I did so because of its size. Even though I liked the Sony better, the 42" Sony had a bigger overall size (width, depth, etc.) than the 50" Samsung. I opted for the Samsung because of this.

Also, I definitely sit closer than 10', more like 6-7', and I think the picture still looks great.

I have a 50" Samsung DLP model #HLP5063W and I am using the DirecTivo unit I bought from ValueElectronics.com. I am very pleased with the picture. I have it set up using the HDMI cables supplied with the receiver but I am going to get Monster cables to improve the picture ever so slightly (my friend has the 46" unit with monster cables - not much difference but worth the $60-75 you can get them for). I am not sure if all receivers have this ability, but make sure the resolution is set to 720P.

I was very close to getting the Sony LCD rear projection instead of the Samsung but the picture quality was too close and the black levels of the DLP are better. The Sony looked a little bit better with regular TV, however, but only slightly. The only regret I have is not getting the 61" Samsung.

I too had trouble between picking the 50" vs 61" Glad I took the 61". For my bucks I liked the dlp vs the lcd. Cables can make a differences a specailly if you start talking on long runs. Over 6' the better cables are worth it. If your runs are shorter the med grade cables do fine.

My first post - nice forum.

Riggs - Sorry you had problems with your Sammy DLP. The blotchiness you experienced is very fixable with a couple of tweaks in the User Menu and one in the Service Menu. If anyone is interested in some tweaks that worked for me, let me know.

I'm sure there are better HDTV's out there, but for the $$$, the Sammy DLP's are great!

You can save yourself the money and keep the cables you have right now if your using DVI. With the digital connections, it will not make a difference at all what cables you are using as long as its not that long and has a good connection. With the analog hookups it makes a world of difference. With that being said all my analog connections are monster (i work at best buy and pay over half of what they charge), and digital are acoustic research. Look around the forum and you can find posts about better deals then monster cable and just as good if not better cables.

bettercables com. I got my cables from them. Good price and good quality. But look around. There are others who make good stuff without charging an arm and a leg.

Samsung 61" DLP here. Picture with D* is great!. I had V* for a few months and PQ was also great. I cannot receive any OTA stations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts