Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Ripping video is more of an art but if you know some specific issue you're having, I might be able to help. Common sync issues are caused by selecting the wrong frame rate. eg. For movies from a BD you want to use 23.976 frames per second, not 24 and certainly not 30. For ripping your BD to ipad format, you can use DVD FAB as it has a selection of presets just for various tablets and smart phones.

I just completed a 15 day trip with no laptop. Used my ipad3 the whole trip and with switching my e-mail ISP to IMAP, and using Logmein to my home computer the trip was effortless. I had priceline.com to find discounted hotels and excellent aps for following my stock trades each day. Kudos to Verizon which had non-stop LTE at very fast rates for Las Vegas and the only location in southern Utah traveling I was without signal was Kodachrome State Park. Everywhere else I had 3G and excellent speed.

I am less interested in ipad for movies as I just didn't have the time and actually got caught up on some audible books off my Thunderbolt audible.com. Was able to complete O'reilly's Patriots and Pinheads which is an 8 hour book with the two flights. audible has a battery saver mode and with noise cancelling headphones is quite the enjoyable experience. While my ipad requires internet for GPS navigation, I used my Thunderbolt on Copilot GPS app with built in maps for monitoring my navigation throughout the trip. On the airplane, needed to sit by the window to see the GPS satellites.

This was my longest period without a real computer for many years. With the ipad, I didn't miss it at all.

Observation-

Yesterday while at the airport, I counted 37 ipads ( including 2 by my wife and I) being used by passengers waiting in our section. Two were using Kindles, 2 were using MacBook Airs and no windows based laptops. Changing times!

I used to try to rip video for my iPod Touch and for my Galaxy Tab. Got so frustrated with audio sync issues, I just gave up, and pretty much just buy video from iTunes. I know, not cheap, but I figure my time is worth not dealing with the frustrations.
I remember I had issues when I tried to rip a movie with subtitles and the subtitles didn't sync up right, making the movie unwatchable. I should try and fix it for another trip though. Few things say "Movie for a long trip" better than the Das Boot Original Cut.

I love that movie. I have at least a couple of versions. How does the "Original Cut" (don't think I have that one) compare to the "Director's Cut?" Of course, until it's on BD I won't be considering it.

I guess I have gotten so used to the ease of just buying stuff on iTunes - and the knowledge that what I buy will look and sound great on the iPad - that I have not given any thought to ripping my stuff. I only purchase stuff to use in the gym on the elliptical - and this time of the year, that is limited to usually one or two days a week, since I am running 20+ miles a week. And given that I don't even have to keep the digital files once I am done with them, and can just stream them through Apple TV, I'm generally pretty content.

I love that movie. I have at least a couple of versions. How does the "Original Cut" (don't think I have that one) compare to the "Director's Cut?" Of course, until it's on BD I won't be considering it.
Das Boot was actually originally a miniseries in Germany. They then went and took what they considered the "best" parts of it and made the original movie. Then it was re-released in theaters with the Director's Cut (it was the only movie I've been to that had an intermission.) So now the "Original Cut" is the ENTIRE mini series. I can't cite all the ways that this is different than the director's cut as I still haven't watched it, but what I saw was more character development and back story. Stuff that really isn't relevant to the actual story but are interesting sub stories. One that I can remember is the story of the guy who is with the French girl (the guy who shows the photo to the reporter in the bunks.) They show more scenes with them together before the fleet embarks. I'm sure there's more but basically all I saw was Disc 1, which leads me to one weird anomaly of this edition. The movie is on two discs which would lead you to believe that it's probably a half and half split, or that at least the first disc would have most while the second had less. But here, the second disc is at LEAST twice as long as the first, probably even longer.

Honestly I don't know if I hold out much hope for a Blu Ray release. You may be better off just getting this DVD release. The source material is not in the best of shape, so unless the movie company is willing to pay for a major clean up/restoration to bring the entire film up to Blu Ray standards, I think you may be holding your breath for quite a while. It's $10 on Amazon and it's a 5 hour movie. I'd say just get the DVD for the time being, but that's just my suggestion.

That seems extremely useful.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I wonder if it helps circumvent some recent multitasking annoyances I've had lately. Some apps just shut down when you switch to others. I wanted to download an issue of National Geographic... I had to sit there for several minutes and stare at it... Switching to another app paused and/or restarted the download.

Splashtop completely disconnects and shuts down when you switch to another app and there have been occasions where I needed to switch for all of 3 seconds to get some information... But then have to reconnect and everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

meStevo said:
I wonder if it helps circumvent some recent multitasking annoyances I've had lately. Some apps just shut down when you switch to others. I wanted to download an issue of National Geographic... I had to sit there for several minutes and stare at it... Switching to another app paused and/or restarted the download.

Splashtop completely disconnects and shuts down when you switch to another app and there have been occasions where I needed to switch for all of 3 seconds to get some information... But then have to reconnect and everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A few of the magazines have been like that. Annoying.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

It really is the one thing that annoys me most about tablets... Only one thing on the screen at the same time. This would go a long ways towards fixing that issue.

This has probably been covered elsewhere, but I was unable to find it. I have Hopper/Joey setup connected to broadband. I'd like to be able to access my recordings on my iPad. What I need? A sling adapter?

jrp said:
This has probably been covered elsewhere, but I was unable to find it. I have Hopper/Joey setup connected to broadband. I'd like to be able to access my recordings on my iPad. What I need? A sling adapter?

Yes, a Sling Adapter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

After several years of complaining to our local Newspaper about getting an electronic version, they finally got an ipad app. It's in high resolution and has a few videos. They keep 30 days of papers in a library too. I'm impressed! Best of all it's FREE! at least for the time being.

I called last January to stop delivery of our paper for a Vacation Hold. I was assured this would be done but on the second day I saw two papers laying in our driveway using my security camera. I continued to call but they failed to put the paper on hold. I had to have my son-in-law go by the house and gather them up each day. Additionally, about once per week my wife has to call because the delivery fails so they get back here after she leaves to deliver the paper. I told my wife I'm going to cancel as soon as the subscription runs out. She was OK with that because she can buy the local paper at work and here, there is no discount for home delivery. In fact it cost a bit more. She reads the paper, I don't. I get the Wall Street Journal on my Ipad and also USA Today. Anyway the subscription ran out on April the 5th just before our last trip and it was so nice not having to worry about having papers pile up in our front lawn.

So this week I see we now have an ipad app for the paper and have loaded it on our ipads. She's not quite used to the electronic version yet but its saving us $$350 a year.

The ability to do search and occasional video makes it a bonus even if they start charging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts