Apt. equipped with RG59, need RG6?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seg2890

Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Atlanta
I'm going to need to run a cable a pretty long distance (anywhere from 150-300 ft. depending on where I get the best line of sight) and I know RG6 is better for that (also know that RG11 is the best, but I'm assuming DTV tech will come equipped with RG6), but it just occurred to me that the cables already in my townhouse might be RG59. The cables seem pretty old and there aren't any visible markings on them to tell me exactly what they are, but I held up an RG6 that I have next to the cable that's already in the wall and the RG6 is definitely thicker.

Am I going to need to replace this or is this something the DTV tech will be able to take care of for me? (I know it would cost extra if this IS something he can do.) What are my options here?

Sorry if I am clueless about this stuff! !sadroll

I'm going to need to run a cable a pretty long distance (anywhere from 150-300 ft. depending on where I get the best line of sight) and I know RG6 is better for that (also know that RG11 is the best, but I'm assuming DTV tech will come equipped with RG6), but it just occurred to me that the cables already in my townhouse might be RG59. The cables seem pretty old and there aren't any visible markings on them to tell me exactly what they are, but I held up an RG6 that I have next to the cable that's already in the wall and the RG6 is definitely thicker.

Am I going to need to replace this or is this something the DTV tech will be able to take care of for me? (I know it would cost extra if this IS something he can do.) What are my options here?

Sorry if I am clueless about this stuff! !sadroll

The RG11 will need to be from the dish to the recvr, whats in the walls now should work ok.
RG6 is better and preferred, but the 59 will work on shorter runs.

IF you want you could have the installer run new lines to the rooms that recvrs are in, thats up to you, it will probably be around the outside of the house.

If you are doing a new install and HD equipment, they will ahve to be RG-6. If it can't be changed the installer will probably not do the job. Also be prepared for an additional charge for a cable run of that distance.

Also if it is really 300' for the distance, don't expect it to get installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)