Are local channels in HDTV?

thyde

Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I'm wondering if I have an HD receiver and HD TV, and local channels through DirecTV, do I get HD broadcasts when they're on? For example, if CBS is carrying the Masters Golf Tournament and they advertise that it's presented in HDTV, do I get that signal? I'm confused because of this CBS HD out of New York of LA that I keep seeing on web sites that's available in only a few large markets. If I could get HD through CBS locally, why would I need this CBS HD channel? I know with HBO and the VOOM channels, those are HD, but I don't know if local channels are, and I would like someone to clarify if they can.

Thank you.

DirecTV does not offer local channels in HDTV. They do offer a HDTV feed of CBS, but that is available to only some (not all) customers.

ABC, CBS, and NBC offer their primetime lineups HDTV. FOX currently offers its primetime lineup in widescreen 480p, but has announced that it will make the move to HDTV on September 12. Most everything on ABC and CBS is in HD during this time (and much of the content on NBC), with exception to news and reality shows (like Survivor). For a sampling of what's offered in HDTV on the networks, see the weekly CBS HDTV schedule.

Most people with these HDTV receivers mount an outdoor antenna for HDTV locals. If you live close to the transmitters (see AntennaWeb), an indoor set-top antenna may suffice. It will be at least 2-3 years before any satellite provider offers locals in HDTV, and even then, it will only be for major markets. The HDTV satellite receivers do integrate the HD locals from an antenna into a single guide with your satellite channels.

To get HD channels you need a compatible receiver. Also, a subscription to locals and the HD packages. Locals channels can be digital, but not be an HD. Only certain programs are broadcast in HD.

That's what I was wondering, so you basically answered yes to my question. If they advertise that a program (the Masters, Everybody Loves Raymond, an NFL football game) are in HD, then I will get HD with my HD receiver. I was just concerned that even though they say it's in HD, I wouldn't get it in HD. I am understanding correctly, right?

Thanks for your quick responses.

I was just concerned that even though they say it's in HD, I wouldn't get it in HD. I am understanding correctly, right?
Yes, so long your local broadcasters are transmitting the HD feed and you've put up an antenna to receive it. If you live out in the middle of nowhere, your broadcasters may not be transmitting in HD, but if you live in or near a large market, there's probably nothing to worry about. Check AntennaWeb to be sure.

As far as football, FOX has announced that it will be doing up to six NFL games a week in HDTV with Dolby Digital 5.1. CBS is expected to do at least one per week, and they may announce more between now and September. ABC will be doing MNF in HD, and ESPN-HD will be doing SNF in HD.

Ok, now I'm confused. Why do I need an additional antenna? That's what I was getting at with my original post. If I have a triple LNB dish, local channels (I'm in Little Rock, AR), an HD receiver, HD TV, and CBS is running an HD program, will it be in HD? You're saying I have to have an additional antenna?

thyde,

A satellite dish is not an off-air antenna. An off-air antenna is what they used in the old days before satellite. You need an off-air antenna to receive HDTV signals from your local area broadcaster, typically 0-40 miles from your home. Satellite receivers with HDTV have two inputs; one for the satellite dish and one for your off-air antenna.

There are no HDTV locals on satellite. DirecTV and Dish do offer east/west feeds of CBS HDTV, but most do not quality. Most customers need a separate off-air antenna for these channels.

To get your local digital channels you will need an off-air antenna. The FCC has not given the Satellite companies permission to transmit digital channels via the satellite.

CBS-HD is only for a select few people who qualify.

Well that's pretty disappointing. So the only HD shows I'd be able to watch are through the HD channels through DirecTV like ESPNHD, HBOHD and VOOM?

The reason this poses a problem is because I was going to invest in the HD Tivo when it's widely available, an if I'm using an off-air antenna to get HD through local channels, it does me no good. The DirecTV HD Tivo only records through DirecTV, not an off-air antenna.

thyde,

Yes, for DirecTV, it would be ESPN-HD, Hdnet, Hdnet Movies, Discovery Theater HD, HBO-HD, and Showtime HD. More channels (probably CinemaxHD and StarzHD) are expected soon. They've also announced that half the Sunday Ticket games will be offered in HD.

The reason this poses a problem is because I was going to invest in the HD Tivo when it's widely available, an if I'm using an off-air antenna to get HD through local channels, it does me no good. The DirecTV HD Tivo only records through DirecTV, not an off-air antenna.
This is incorrect!

The DirecTV HDTV Tivo, like every DirecTV HDTV satellite receiver, supports HDTV reception from an off-air antenna. There wouldn't be much point to it if you couldn't receive and record your locals in HDTV. The DirecTV HDTV Tivo will record two different HDTV channels simultaneously from DirecTV, two different HDTV local channels simultaneously from an off-air antenna, or one of each simultaneously. It will also record two while playing back a previous recording.

Refer to the HDTV Tivo page on the DirecTV web site. I quote:
Integrated ATSC tuner allows you to access digital and HD signals from your off-air antenna through the Advanced Program Guide™, making it easy to watch and record from all of the channels you receive.

ESPN HD, HBO HD, Discovery HD, Showtime HD, HD Net, HD Movies and PPV HD is what's currently available at this moment. I read a post the DTV will be adding 11 more by August or September, but that's just talk right now.

Oh, great! I was misinformed then. At least there's some good news there. Thanks for the reply Ken F. Two more questions, and I'll stop bugging you:

1. Old fashioned off-air antennas have always come and gone with their signal. When it's going into an HD receiver, does it make the picture perfectly clear, or does it still fade in and out?

2. Do you recommend an antenna to use?

Voom has a lot more HD channels, but most of those channels are upconverted programming, not true HD material. Most of the programming is the same stuff that's broadcasting on the SD channel, just upconverted to HD.

You can see some screenshots of a HDTV Tivo in action on this page. Note the off-air signal point-antenna screens. On the second page of screenshots, note how the off-air broadcasts from an antenna (WCBSDT, WNBCDT, WNYWDT, etc) are integrated into the guide.

1. Old fashioned off-air antennas have always come and gone with their signal. When it's going into an HD receiver, does it make the picture perfectly clear, or does it still fade in and out?
For the most part, digital reception is either you get it or you don't. It's much like satellite dish reception, in that a correctly tuned antenna will give you a perfect stable picture, whereas if it's not pointed correctly (or not an adequate antenna for your location), you either won't get a picture, or it will have lots of sound and video dropouts. As you see in those screenshots, the HDTV Tivo does have a point-antenna screen to aid in orienting the off-air antenna.

With digital off-air broadcasts, the ghosting, sparklies, interference, and other related artifacts you'd see on analog local channels are a thing of the past.

2. Do you recommend an antenna to use?
This all depends on how far you are from the transmitters. The AntennaWeb will tell you how many miles away you are. A top performance UHF antenna for HDTV locals reception will cost in the $25 range, although it won't be very pleasing to the eye. Aesthetically pleasing antennas typically cost more, but tend to offer less performance.

The Winegard Squareshooter is a popular antenna for <35 miles, as it represents a good compromise between performance and aesthetics (looks). You can see some pictures of it right here. It is available in two models, one without a preamp ($99), and one with a preamp to enhance signal strength ($149).

Voom has a lot more HD channels, but most of those channels are upconverted programming, not true HD material. Most of the programming is the same stuff that's broadcasting on the SD channel, just upconverted to HD.
This is not true. VOOM offers 35+ HDTV channels with native HD content. Some content is video sourced, like from a HDTV camera (as often seen on Hdnet), and other content is converted from film (as seen on HBO). That said, much of VOOM's exclusive content is repeated on a regular basis -- for example, on their RAVE HDTV music video channel, they typically have one new concert in HDTV with DD5.1 every Friday, but most of the other concerts and music videos shown throughout the week are repeated.

That said, TNT-HD is a rather pathetic channel so far, and has shown only limited material in HD, aside from the NBA Western Conference Finals, the Salem's Lot series, and a few movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)